Luke Plange - signed for Palace & loaned back

Jram

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Thanks Angie and @Crewton  for your replies. I had thought Knight might have been younger when he joined us. Bogle was actually 15 according to Wiki - just looked it up, and he was purchased before Mel’s stepson was employed. Thinking about it Knight possibly the same.

Apologies - I didn't twig you were specifically looking for signings sourced by Mel Morrisson. 

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Why can’t Watson and Hutchinson count?

In terms of bringing people in at that age and either contributing to the first team or selling on for a fee (or both):

- Knight (though we’ve always had a strong presence in Ireland)

- Ebosele (see above)

- Williams (would have been worth far more had it not been for our situation)

- Luke Thomas (couple of million)

- Bogle (big fee)

There’s a few more you can probably throw in there too. Jordan Brown, plus Watson and Hutchinson as mentioned above. 

I’m all for Mel bashing, but our 16-21 recruitment has been one of our biggest plus points in recent years. I think it would be churlish to argue his stepson hasn’t played some part in that.

I am not knocking our 16-21 recruitment per se, but Bogle, Thomas, and probably Knight were all acquired before the Lad got his gig. After he came in it could be argued our recruitment has not been so great, but as you say it is churlish for me to know what his actual contribution was.

Being churlish though ? I wonder if he will have a 2 year employment gap after leaving Derby like he had before joining? Perhaps a few more one month work experience gigs along the way before an elite club recognises his considerable talent.

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm not sure why you're so reluctant to give Palace any credit for this. I don't see any other clubs lining up to help us out with cash up front. 

There are no guarantees that Plange will be able to make it as a Premier League player. There is no guarantee that CP wouldn't have been able to save themselves a million quid if they'd waited until the end of the season.

Whereas we WILL go out of business in just a few weeks if we can't scrape together enough money to get to the end of the season.

I think it's a genuine nice thing for Crystal Palace to do and I hope it does work out for them and Plange goes on to have a great career at the highest level.

The Administrators had told us that they didn't need to sell any more players. So the money wasn't needed, else they wouldn't have said that.

If Plange makes it or not as a Prem player he's already shown he can score goals at Championship level. A Prem club selling a striker they don't want will not lose out on a (hearsay) £1m player. They'll probably already have next seasons loan fees calculated.

You think It's a genuine nice thing for Palarse to do, I say it's a really good bit of business by them. Picking up a Championship level striker with potential for circa £1m.

How much were Newcastle offering for that 19 year old French striker - £30m? 

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think you're overstating the reaction - compare Parrish's comments to those of the Wigan chairman after they signed Shinnie and it's not difficult to see why fans are thanking him. It's just gratitude in finding another club being respectful towards us, even if they know they could still be getting a bargain. 

Did the Wigan fans thank us for taking Byrne and Marshall off their wage bill? I suppose they did. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Given that none of us had even heard of Luke Plange this time last year there's some over-reaction on here! 

We gave him a chance to rebuild his career when Arsenal threw him on the scrap heap and he's grabbed it with both hands. 

He's cost us very little, just a small wage and a few months' coaching. Not like he's been with our academy since forever.

I hope he tears up this league for the rest of the season and he goes on to be a big player for Palace. 

Good move for both clubs at this time.

That's my attitude too, good luck to him and it's a good deal for all parties.

It's not like selling a player that we have developed for years like a Sibley or a Bird. It equivalent to taking him on a season long loan from Arsenal and being paid £1m for the privilege! 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Was that an option then?

How much of Stretton have you seen, how many games has he played for the first team?

I've seen as much of him as you probably.... in under23s and first team...not saying it was an option I'm saying in my opinion Stretton is not as good as Plange and know he could've gone for free end of season but my point stands  ...Don't get all defensive its my opinion just like yours ...I've seen quite a bit more of Stretton than Plange tbh 

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I've seen as much of him as you probably.... in under23s and first team...not saying it was an option I'm saying in my opinion Stretton is not as good as Plange and know he could've gone for free end of season but my point stands  ...Don't get all defensive its my opinion just like yours ...I've seen quite a bit more of Stretton than Plange tbh 

When Stretton came into the first team squad Rooney was 'full of praise' for him, the same as he has been Plange. They are different types of striker and which one will be a better Championship striker time will tell.

I wasn't getting defensive just annoyed at a statement that made no sense. I'd rather have sold Duncan than Plange but it didn't seem an option. ?

10 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Wow talk about jumping ship.

Pretty sure he was released in the summer by Arsenal end we handed him another lifeline here.

Commitment in football nowadays is zilch. Goodluck to him 

Yeah, I'm sure no other club would have taken him.......

TBH, with reactions like yours, he would have been better off not agreeing to the move and simply leaving at the end of the season or when we go bust. Or not agreeing to stay with us on loan. Either way, we'd have had no ducking money and no ducking player - win/win eh?

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Why would they - we paid bugger all for them and didn't loan them straight back.

And?

What good would it do Palace keeping Plange? They originally (apparently) offered £300k we don't know how much they got him for. But there is no doubt their 'interest' will have meant he wanted to sign for them whatever.

"I’m very excited to be joining a big Premier League club," Plange told Palace TV.

"Obviously I’ll be with Derby fighting for them in the Championship. But I will be ready to go back to Crystal Palace in the summer and get ready to go.

"When I heard I was very excited about the news. I know Palace are a big club, a big Premier League club. I knew that it was a very good chance for me to take and to progress in my career."

No problem with that. But to think Palace somehow had our 'best interests at heart' is laughable. Would we have wanted Plange back if the EFL had allowed us to have signed a.n.other experienced striker?

If we continue to improve any young strikers on our books I'm hoping Stretton is back to full fitness. 

I think that given our situation this is a good deal for us. A player nobody had heard of 3 months ago, a good cash deal, and we get to keep him until the end of the season. The cash generated quite possibly avoided us having to offload Lawrence or even another of our bright young players.

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But to think Palace somehow had our 'best interests at heart' is laughable.

Nice gas-lighting fella ? That's a phrase that I've not seen ANYONE use.

Palace could have signed him and loaned him back out to someone else - maybe even one of our relegation rivals. As for your other question - you'd have to ask Rooney what he'd prefer if it was possible under EFL embargo restrictions : to carry on with the player he's promoted and rates highly or sign an experienced striker who's willing to to take a L1 salary or hope for another club to be willing to loan us one and only receive the maximum of £4,500/wk.

Look, you carry on feeling disgruntled and I'll carry on being relieved. End of discussion.

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Palace could have signed him and loaned him back out to someone else - maybe even one of our relegation rivals. As for your other question - you'd have to ask Rooney what he'd prefer if it was possible under EFL embargo restrictions : to carry on with the player he's promoted and rates highly or sign an experienced striker who's willing to to take a L1 salary or hope for another club to be willing to loan us one and only receive the maximum of £4,500/wk.

Look, you carry on feeling disgruntled and I'll carry on being relieved. End of discussion.

?

We didn't have to sell Plange. But after Palace made it known they wanted to sign him for £300k he's not going to turn the chance down. Admin at least got a better deal (or did they as it was undisclosed).

I've no problem AT ALL with us selling Plange. I object to the story being woven around Palace seeing us as being some kind of charitable cause that they've kindly donated to as it's best for us. ?

And as for who Rooney might have preferred if allowed a choice by the EFL, well we won't know. But experience is what we're short of.

Edited by RoyMac5

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

?

We didn't have to sell Plange. But after Palace made it known they wanted to sign him for £300k he's not going to turn the chance down. Admin at least got a better deal (or did they as it was undisclosed).

I've no problem AT ALL with us selling Plange. I object to the story being woven around Palace seeing us as being some kind of charitable cause that they've kindly donated to as it's best for us. ?

And as for who Rooney might have preferred if allowed a choice by the EFL, well we won't know. But experience is what we're short of.

How do you know we didn't have to sell Plange? As far as I have read Quantuma have enough funds to take us through to March before the Plange sale. They might have another line of credit potentially available then, but who is to know if MSD for instance will have an appetite in March onwards if Morris is playing silly buggers, or the EFL/Boro case is ot going the way we all want it to. Disappointing to lose him as he looks like he could be a real talent, but at this moment in time we do need to take actions to best protect our ongoiing status. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

How do you know we didn't have to sell Plange? As far as I have read Quantuma have enough funds to take us through to March before the Plange sale. They might have another line of credit potentially available then, but who is to know if MSD for instance will have an appetite in March onwards if Morris is playing silly buggers, or the EFL/Boro case is ot going the way we all want it to. Disappointing to lose him as he looks like he could be a real talent, but at this moment in time we do need to take actions to best protect our ongoiing status. 

Same way you know we needed to?

Edit: don't think there was much point in keeping him when he'd already been tapped up this season. He'd more likely then sign for someone else in summer.

Edited by RoyMac5

Just a thought / question to those in the know.

If the doomsday scenario happened and we did go bust in Feb / March, what would happen to the players under contract?

Would they continue to get paid? Would they become free agents and able to join another club and start being paid by them straight away?

If not, then someone like Luke, probably not on a massive wage (in footballer terms) and probably with little savings, might not be able to afford a few months without any income. If that were the case, then it could be a factor in his decision making.

Equally, he will have seen players get injured, and spend months on the sidelines. With Derby unable to extend his current contract (beyond when, June?), if he was to pick up a long term injury, he'd be scuppered, potentially having to finish his recovery once out of contract.

I would imagine he's taken plenty of advice, and weighing up the options, he's probably done what's best for him.

Like Roy Mac says, not a bad gamble by Palace either.