Dylan Williams - signed for Chelsea

Jubbs

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

I'm not upset at this. Maybe we are losing a great talent but we have to look at the right here, right now position.

He's not a starter, not been on the bench much recently and if we're getting 300k plus, then great, and if we're getting 500k or more then amazing.

We are producing players but a lot of them are lightweight and small and he was another one of them. The Championship (and dare I say League One) are tough physical leagues and we have for years put out small teams. He was a very small player.

he did well physically in the 0-0 at west brom though. 

On 21/01/2022 at 14:34, whiteroseram said:

Unfortunately that's fair enough

If we're still a thing, one of the big selling points of our academy when recruiting young talents must be how many lads are moving on to the prem 

All our best talents just get picked off for a handful of magic beans and there is nothing we can do about it even if we wanted to.

Even if it helps us attract players into the academy whats the point. The best ones will just be cherry picked anyway even if we weren't in administration

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

All our best talents just get picked off for a handful of magic beans and there is nothing we can do about it even if we wanted to.

Even if it helps us attract players into the academy whats the point. The best ones will just be cherry picked anyway even if we weren't in administration

I was thinking about this too. The very best players will be snapped up, they won't play for our first team and we'll only receive a fee matching their development cost. So worst case is, we breakeven with them financially, but the ones who stick with us benefit from playing with better players (are you more likely to improve playing alongside Cristiano Ronaldo or Gary Teale?)

It then just becomes a question of whether you get your money's worth from the remaining group of players.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I was thinking about this too. The very best players will be snapped up, they won't play for our first team and we'll only receive a fee matching their development cost. So worst case is, we breakeven with them financially, but the ones who stick with us benefit from playing with better players (are you more likely to improve playing alongside Cristiano Ronaldo or Gary Teale?)

It then just becomes a question of whether you get your money's worth from the remaining group of players.

Surely only while we're in such trouble? Hughes and Hendrick stayed...

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'll probably cover our costs selling players like knight, et al, but they've got to get to the first team first.

Its just frustrating that all of the best talent gets taken away from us and we never see any benefit from them.

I know the investment in the academy takes a while to pay off and we do have a number of academy players in the first team now, but for me i do sometimes question whether it is worth having an academy at all

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely only while we're in such trouble? Hughes and Hendrick stayed...

We lost the three players to united, we lost delap, we lost Gordon and now we're losing williams. All of them for basically nothing in return.

I can't blame any young player for wanting to go to one of the biggest teams in the world, but the compensation we get is abysmal. 

Most of these players would have gone whether we were in financial trouble or not. Will and Jeff never really had the big teams courting them.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You seem very clued up on these matters, so can I ask a question?

If being a Cat 1 academy doesn't give us  protection from such poaching, which I believed it would when we went for it, what is the point? 

Would we be any worse off at Cat 2, for instance, or does the fact we have top tier status enable us to attract a better class of youngster's, and so is a wise investment even taking into account the departures we've seen?