Was Lawrence's first goal v the Blades today the best seen at Pride Park so far?

We've seen many very good goals in the near 25 years we've played at Pride Park but have we seen one better than that? I'm struggling to think of one. Any nominations for one that was better?

11 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes. And I've been a Ram for 50 years!

Well said Dave. I've been going for 61 years and a better one at the BBG too doesn't come to mind.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

My favourite is the one starting at 21 seconds in this vid

Great team goal but it didn't make me leap out of my seat like today.

Hype based on short-termism is a bit of a bugbear for me but it was impressive. There are plenty of 'better' goals scored at PPS but circumstances elevate this one.

Watching it live it came across a little like an example of Lawrence overplaying it, not all too aware of passing options and trying to beat too many players. It would be interesting to see the difference in reaction if he'd blasted it wide instead of the deft finish he produced.

However, watching replays it's clear that all of his actions were intended, he was in control throughout, kept his head, kept his balance, deceived the defenders, knew what he was doing and executed it perfectly.

On a wider scale I will say this, I've nearly always backed him as a player while others have made stupid comparisons of him against some people's idea of a demigod in Tom Ince,  but he's NEVER had the same opportunity for success afforded to him like the other Tom was.

If all things were equal outside of their control Lawrence would be remembered more fondly.

He has frustrated me, often, for not doing the basics right before he does something fancy.

I've questioned Rooney making him the captain but that was probably base on the same short-termism mentioned earlier - he's really grown into the role and I hope he's remembered well.

1 minute ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Hype based on short-termism is a bit of a bugbear for me but it was impressive. There are plenty of 'better' goals scored at PPS but circumstances elevate this one.

Watching it live it came across a little like an example of Lawrence overplaying it, not all too aware of passing options and trying to beat too many players. It would be interesting to see the difference in reaction if he'd blasted it wide instead of the deft finish he produced.

However, watching replays it's clear that all of his actions were intended, he was in control throughout, kept his head, kept his balance, deceived the defenders, knew what he was doing and executed it perfectly.

On a wider scale I will say this, I've nearly always backed him as a player while others have made stupid comparisons of him against some people's idea of a demigod in Tom Ince,  but he's NEVER had the same opportunity for success afforded to him like the other Tom was.

If all things were equal outside of their control Lawrence would be remembered more fondly.

He has frustrated me, often, for not doing the basics right before he does something fancy.

I've questioned Rooney making him the captain but that was probably base on the same short-termism mentioned earlier - he's really grown into the role and I hope he's remembered well.

Yeah I think he's finally won the fanbase over, just as we're going to lose him. I've always backed him myself but then I always do... supporters gonna support i guess ?‍♂️?

It was a fantastic individual goal, but the best we’ve ever seen at PP?

It depends on personal taste.

Personally I prefer a well-worked team goal. So there are other goals that would top it for me.

Edited by Jourdan

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

It was a fantastic individual goal, but the best we’ve ever seen at PP?

It depends on personal taste.

Personally I prefer a well-worked team goal. So there are other goals that would top it for me.

I am with you on team goals but read the OP as best individual goal and that Tom's first today was the kind of goals Messi or Salah score when half of the team cant get anywhere near them and they keep their composure to finish. We dont normally see these goals in the championship.

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

We've seen many very good goals in the near 25 years we've played at Pride Park but have we seen one better than that? I'm struggling to think of one. Any nominations for one that was better?

I thought his thunderbolt at home v Huddersfield a few seasons ago was better. Different type of goal but was Riochesque in how hard he hit the ball and I was right behind it in the North Stand…

I'm not even sure that Tom's first goal was even the best goal today. 

The more I see it, the more I like the second goal. Festy's contribution was fantastic and Tom's finish was a thing of beauty, on his 'wrong' foot.

Upon looking at the goal again, a massive shout out also to 'old man' Fozzy, who was deep in his own area when Festy broke free. He went on a lung busting run to get involved in the goal.

Edited by ram59
Extra information