Pay Boro/Wycombe vs Liquidation/Phoenix club?

Red Ram

Pay Boro/Wycombe vs Liquidation/Phoenix club?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

No idea, until I'm faced with such a conundrum.

However, I did once get outnumbered and attacked by Watford fans up by Ivy Square.  In an attempt to avoid getting knocked to the ground and getting my head caved in (It was all the rage, back in the day), I carried out what I considered an act of "self preservation" by blindly (I literally closed my eyes!) swinging an air-punch in their general direction... just as the rozzers* screeched around the corner!

The ensuing arrest, and charge of breach of the peace was followed by a guilty plea, and a subsequent £80 fine.  Maggie had had enough of football hooligans, and was starting to consider making examples of them.  The duty solicitor advised that any plea of innocence would likely lead to a guilty verdict, and potential bird*

Before or since, I have never considered myself a hooligan, have never had a penchant for fisticuffs, and have never connected with a punch, to a human being.  And yet history shows me as being guilty, and as being punished as such.

Make of that what you will.

*I picked up the lingo, during my one and only 3 hour stint in pokey!  

Did you pick up the soap in your one and only 3 hour stint in pokey?

988F6F7E-2006-40F3-BF89-04B4CF53E324.png

51 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

However, I did once get outnumbered and attacked by Watford fans up by Ivy Square.  In an attempt to avoid getting knocked to the ground and getting my head caved in (It was all the rage, back in the day), I carried out what I considered an act of "self preservation" by blindly (I literally closed my eyes!) swinging an air-punch in their general direction... just as the rozzers* screeched around the corner!

The ensuing arrest, and charge of breach of the peace was followed by a guilty plea, and a subsequent £80 fine.  Maggie had had enough of football hooligans, and was starting to consider making examples of them.  The duty solicitor advised that any plea of innocence would likely lead to a guilty verdict, and potential bird*

Before or since, I have never considered myself a hooligan, have never had a penchant for fisticuffs, and have never connected with a punch, to a human being.  And yet history shows me as being guilty, and as being punished as such.

Serves you right, you animal!

6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Agreeing to pay them off would be the end of the football league as an entity. The competition would have no integrity and on a practical level, who's going to do stuff like referee games in an environment where some chancer could throw a lawsuit at you for wrongly awarding a corner etc?

If Gibson succeeds, the whole edifice will crumble.

So A.

This is actually a very good point, think of all the wrong decisions in football. Should have been offside, was a clear handball etc. 

If this was to go ahead it would open the doors to suing every wrong decision in football.

This crazy hypothetical scenario is interesting as choosing a) would involve the club being liquidated anyway. I would go for b if there is a strong connection to the original football club - AFC Derby County for example. Besides, there is no case and I would be sickened if those clubs received money from the team I support, I would be ashamed to be a fan of such a team who give in to such bullying. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Before or since, I have never considered myself a hooligan, have never had a penchant for fisticuffs, and have never connected with a punch, to a human being

I have a follow up question, you thug.

Which sentient beings have you punched?

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

There was no right of appeal against Derby's fine, or the consequent demand to redo our accounts. The admin team said they agreed settlement re the penalty points  with EFL in order to bring certainty to the buyer. The process would have lasted months or more.. we hadn't been charged by EFL but the last process took 18 months from the charge being made to the final decision .

God knows how many seasons worth of relegated teams might want to sue us then. 

34 minutes ago, Retro_RAM said:

This is actually a very good point, think of all the wrong decisions in football. Should have been offside, was a clear handball etc. 

If this was to go ahead it would open the doors to suing every wrong decision in football.

Villa would have to deal with us and Bournemouth in that case. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Back in the early 70's, a policeman on a motorbike stopped by my dad after a game, said he was sick of twits at football given him aggravation and punched him in the stomach whilst sporting a large and heavy leather glove.  He then promptly got on his motorbike and left.  He didn't get done for breach of the peace. ? My dad did a few times.  On one occasion he wound up in a holding cell with John Conteh after a game in Manchester.  

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

God knows how many seasons worth of relegated teams might want to sue us then. 

We'll be suing all the promoted ones. It'll be fine.  I'm sure we offered 3 million quid for Francis and Ritchie at Bournemouth back in the summer of 2014.  They'd grossly gone over FFP, yet turned down our offer.  Based on all the outrage caused by us not selling players for some lint and a couple of coppers found down Rowetts sofa, surely we can sue Bournemouth on two counts.  Not selling to us and then getting promoted.   

If it really does come down to this, football really is in a sorry state. Let’s see a preferred bidder announced and let them negotiate. If they can negotiate a price they deem to be reasonable then so be it. If not, we surely have the right to appeal to the EFL to take it to court? Any less would be extortion and would surely undermine the EFL’s long term position as a custodian of the league and it’s members.

I would say neither. Let Boro and Wycombe take legal action if they think they have a case, and be laughed out of court.

However, I voted the phoenix simply option because no one is going to pay them money on top of our massive debts to buy the club. If the EFL really insists any purchaser must settle with them before we're allowed to function as a club, then we will cease to function as a club so phoenix is the only option.