Super subs or starters?

Colin KR, Ebosele and Morrison have all made vital contributions coming off the bench in recent games. Each brings something different at a crucial stage in matches when they're won and lost, whether it be Colin KR's presence and goal scoring, Ebosele's pace and drive, or Morrison's guile and ball retention.

The question is, should some or all of these three be starting? Lawrence blows hot and cold, Knight and Jozwiak are hard workers but don't seem to offer much in the way of attacking threat right now.

15 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Colin KR, Ebosele and Morrison have all made vital contributions coming off the bench in recent games. Each brings something different at a crucial stage in matches when they're won and lost, whether it be Colin KR's presence and goal scoring, Ebosele's pace and drive, or Morrison's guile and ball retention.

The question is, should some or all of these three be starting? Lawrence blows hot and cold, Knight and Jozwiak are hard workers but don't seem to offer much in the way of attacking threat right now.

I personally think Colin KR would'nt be as effective starting and the same goes for Ebosele. Knight, Plange and Jozwiak kept their defence busy and bringing on two fresh and both different attacking players bamboozled the defence.  Lawrence had a quiet game and could have scored, the same goes for Ravel when he came on. They are very much the same in their positions on the pitch and I don't think you can play both at the same time for long periods in a match.

26 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

In the last two games the combination of movement, pressing and ball retention from Lawrence, Knight and Jozwiak are a major part of why we've firmly taken control over the games at hand. With CKR, Ebosele and Morrison all coming on when the opposition has already been run ragged to battle against tiring player where their physicality (in the first two cases) and having more time  on the ball in Morrison's case can make a more telling contribution.

They wouldn't have been as effective from the start and if they started we'd have probably not got as firm a foothold on the games in question.

I think they can be starters but probably not all at the same time. The team needs balance. If you're going to play Morrison then you would need players around him who are going to do the dirty work. Ebosele is great to bring off the bench because of his pace. However he does lose the ball at times, at 2-0 down that's fine as you have to take risks but at 0-0 it could be problamatic. I would play Kazim Richards next game as he not only scores goals but he is a presence. I think sometimes we lack a player who is going to make the ball stick.

The only debate surrounding Kazim Starting is you lose a runner in behind. The only way to mitigate this would be to tell Lawrence running in behind and off Kazim while Kazim links the play. I’d keep the wingers the same as they are tidy with the ball and work hard going backwards. 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

In the last two games the combination of movement, pressing and ball retention from Lawrence, Knight and Jozwiak are a major part of why we've firmly taken control over the games at hand. With CKR, Ebosele and Morrison all coming on when the opposition has already been run ragged to battle against tiring player where their physicality (in the first two cases) and having more time  on the ball in Morrison's case can make a more telling contribution.

They wouldn't have been as effective from the start and if they started we'd have probably not got as firm a foothold on the games in question.

This ^ is spot on.

CKR, Ravel and Ebs all deserve to start BUT  we've hit on a formula that is working. @brady1993's point about the opposition being worn down over 60-70 minutes by Lawro, Jozo and Knighty is uber-valid. Ebs scares defences to bits with his pace - he is so quick - and Ravel's intricacy with a pass is exactly what defenders don't need at 85 minutes when their legs are jelly. Had we had the correct amount of added time at Reading (should've been circa 8 minutes minimum by my watch), I think we'd have won 3-2 yesterday.

Let's not change a winning formula. the tide has turned. We are on an upward curve. Bielik is due back. The "preferred bidder" will be announced quicker than you can say Jack Robicqkggkfrtetggfrterrssessgtson.....Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up strong intoxicating liquor. ?

The subs were going to come on when we were still only 1 nil down, until the ref gave a free kick for that non foul. Had it been only 1 nil, you'd have fancied our chances of winning the game.

The one thing in common with these last few games with the well timed substitutions, is that we have finished the games on top.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

As @Ellafellastates, so spot on. Whilst all of them would no doubt both like to start and possibly deserve to be in contention, it’s the running of others earlier in the game, that’s allowing them to have such an impact. They are definitely coming on against tired legs, perfect for Festy to run at, CKR to batter and Ravel to exploit space. 

Providing we are still in those games at that point, we have a winning solution to close out the games. Hopefully, other than giving players the chance to get minutes in the cup game, the league games will keep to this pattern, it’s working after all.

You can make the case for Festy and CKR to start in certain games where we may need more physical presence from our strikers (CKR) or even more pace and directness to counter (Festy), but both definitely are impact players for us at present in the main.

Morrison’s done much better as a sub, as I thought he would. However I think of the three, he’d struggle the most/unbalance the team as a starter.

Edited by Ramarena

9 hours ago, ramit said:

Has Lawrence been demoted?

I think Curtis club captain rather than team captain. It’s a bit like prime minister versus head of state. If we were a country Curtis would  (using his full title ) be Curtis Eugene Davies - Field Marshall President for life  VC GC KG DFC with wings. 

16 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

CKR has been a peripheral figure from the bench and hasn’t really offered the team any additional threat… right up until the moment he scores!

He’s had a bit of luck go his way with keeper errors and good luck to him.
I feel a bit sorry for Plange because having picked him for his runs behind the defence, we haven’t been able to get the ball to him on the floor and he’s been outmuscled in the air.

Ebosele is exciting but needs to look up and work out his best options rather than just running fast and hoping something opens up. So for me he’s still an impact sub.

Morrison is a wily player who can pick a pass or hold on to possession depending on the needs of the team and lacks the intensity needed in the first hour.

I think we have the balance about right, especially if we can use Plange to good effect.

I agree stay as subs - winning formula, tiring opposition and all that my only caveats are I would love to see Plange on the pitch at the same time as Morrision a little more with his movement off the ball and Ravels eye for a pass.

Maybe try Morrison five minutes earlier than the CKR for Plange switch a couple of times

1 hour ago, jono said:

I think Curtis club captain rather than team captain. It’s a bit like prime minister versus head of state. If we were a country Curtis would  (using his full title ) be Curtis Eugene Davies - Field Marshall President for life  VC GC KG DFC with wings

Shouldn't that be – DCFC with wings…

INSERT - Davies Reading 3.jpeg