Will Derby cash in on Bird and Knight

Curtains

Just now, Ravabeerbelly said:

It’s only a 6 month save not an annual one

for those running out of contract yes.

I repeat, it would be madness to sell a young player on a low wage unless it was to bring in a substantial fee. 

For instance offloading Lawrence Jozwiak and Marshall to reduce wages is part of the battle and if we were offered £5m for Knight £2m for Bird £1.5m for Buchanan and £1m for Sibley, it would only make sense to sell Knight. It would be enough to see us through till the end of the season.  

3 minutes ago, sage said:

for those running out of contract yes.

I repeat, it would be madness to sell a young player on a low wage unless it was to bring in a substantial fee. 

For instance offloading Lawrence Jozwiak and Marshall to reduce wages is part of the battle and if we were offered £5m for Knight £2m for Bird £1.5m for Buchanan and £1m for Sibley, it would only make sense to sell Knight. It would be enough to see us through till the end of the season.  

You're working on the assumption that the aim of the administrators is to just get through to the end of the season. If you look at it as though their aim is to maximise funds to pay creditors, be it to lower the overall debt to facilitate a sale or otherwise, then things look a lot less rosy. 

34 minutes ago, sage said:

Well everyone seems to be wallowing in the worst case scenario.

I will keep enjoying the football, paying my money into the club and wait to see what happens.

Merry Christmas

If the last couple of years supporting Derby has taught us anything, it is this, whatever you think could happen, times it by 2 and add Ikechi Anya on the end.

People contemplating the worse possible outcome are just preparing themselves for what is shaping up to be a very legitimate outcome.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

"... according to Football League World." 

Undoubtedly, clubs are making enquiries, but that's like getting a prediction from Nostradamus.

However, whatever the takeover position is in January, it's unrealistic to think we won't lose a few of our better players. 

5 minutes ago, Maharan said:

You're working on the assumption that the aim of the administrators is to just get through to the end of the season. If you look at it as though their aim is to maximise funds to pay creditors, be it to lower the overall debt to facilitate a sale or otherwise, then things look a lot less rosy. 

Re-read the original post. Because of delays in the sale, some believe we will need to sell to cover those costs. It wouldn't be about maximising funds to pay creditors, but to see us through until a point where a new owner comes in to cover costs or we're ran at a profit.

I never mentioned for a second what made sense to you or I or any other football fan in Derby colours. 

I merely talked about potential cash raising and a ‘best’ case scenario of what could possibly be raised in January.

Trust me, what you or I think ‘makes sense’ won’t be what the ‘suits’ think make sense when faced with a tax bill of £20 million that can’t be negotiated on. 

What we are left with for 4 months of football when relegation to league 1 is nailed in regardless is not on their ‘to do’ list in any form at all.

Most of those listed won’t be hanging around in league 1 anyway and so getting the club through the period alive and well with a sale and a subsequent summer of recruiting what’s required for that level of football is top of a list of 1 item!

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Re-read the original post. Because of delays in the sale, some believe we will need to sell to cover those costs. It wouldn't be about maximising funds to pay creditors, but to see us through until a point where a new owner comes in to cover costs or we're ran at a profit.

Okay, yeah, I see your point, and I had lost site of the original post. I'm not sure personally the two issues can be separated that easily, but I accept I missed the point somewhat. 

A quick change of ownership makes all this immaterial though, so that's the hope.. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree although I fear your final point is a little over ambitious.

If enough is spent on the team, is it really ambitious.

The moment a new owner arrives I'd have offers lined up and released, yes they are for the summer transfers but I'd still act that way, agree offers to move things forward ahead of the summer.

Players I'd like to sign include Stockton (morcambe), Bonne (ipswich), Twine (mk dons), McConville (Accrington), Ruffels (oxford), long (oxford), James (blackpool).

These sorts of players for an instant promotion.

2 hours ago, SBW said:

I don't think we're in a position to try and keep the best and most valuable talent at the club in the hope of mounting a L1 promotion charge next season.

A large issue with the club not being purchased thus far appears to be because of the monies owed to creditors.  If that can be assisted with, it might help with the sale of the club?

Ignoring that side of business, not many of the better talents at the club will even want to stick around for next season.  I can't imagine for a second any of Knight, Bird or Buchanan being around next season.  Not sure what Knight or Bird's contract situation is, but Buchanan has a 1yr extension option, meaning he'd be into his last year next season and his value diminishing anyway.

Then away from that and into next season, there's this whole CVA business which screwed Leeds over, didn't it?  So could even be looking at a deduction next season too.  I'm not sure we'll be able to convince the likes of the above, plus Jozwiak, Byrne and maybe Sibley to stick around.  I think the focus needs to be on securing good characters who will be here next season. Hopefully Curtis Davies will be convinced, as he is exactly the type of man who needs to be around.  He's the type you'd like to see stick around even when his career is done too. 

Any potential deduction next season, the new owner, should have the resources to legally challenge.

Assuming we still have a club next year, this is the worst bit, really. The silver lining during all those years of Butterfields and Anyas and high-risk short-termism was that there was a major bit of long-termism, too: the investment in the academy. And now all the best ones could get picked off for far less than we'd usually accept. Then we really are starting from scratch, aren't we? The one indisputable positive of Mel's reign - and it could all get erased very quickly.

I know there's another thread about grief and the five stages. This is the bit that keeps sending me back from acceptance to anger.

Edited by vonwright

I suspect we’ll see some player sales in January, some to free up/reduce wages, some to generate income.

Knight is arguably our most saleable asset, he’s young, a full international, offers versatility and athleticism. As much as I would love to see him stay, objectively I think it makes sense to cash in on him. One of the few areas we have strength in depth is central midfield, currently Knight is being shoe horned into the side out of position. IF there are multiple teams interested and IF we could get anything close to £5m for him it makes sense to sell for the survival of the club. 
That money can then be used to service some of the debt, pay wages till season end etc, we would lose a talented young player for sure, however the team as it stands would be able to continue without a catastrophic impact on the starting lineup.

None of us know for sure what will happen, maybe we won’t have to sell, maybe the takeover will go through, I guess we can’t really rule anything in or out. ? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I suspect we’ll see some player sales in January, some to free up/reduce wages, some to generate income.

Knight is arguably our most saleable asset, he’s young, a full international, offers versatility and athleticism. As much as I would love to see him stay, objectively I think it makes sense to cash in on him. One of the few areas we have strength in depth is central midfield, currently Knight is being shoe horned into the side out of position. IF there are multiple teams interested and IF we could get anything close to £5m for him it makes sense to sell for the survival of the club. 
That money can then be used to service some of the debt, pay wages till season end etc, we would lose a talented young player for sure, however the team as it stands would be able to continue without a catastrophic impact on the starting lineup.

None of us know for sure what will happen, maybe we won’t have to sell, maybe the takeover will go through, I guess we can’t really rule anything in or out. ? 

sickening that selling our biggest asset will only cover less than 10% of our debt, a mere drop in the ocean. 

2 minutes ago, Taribo said:

sickening that selling our biggest asset will only cover less than 10% of our debt, a mere drop in the ocean. 

Right?! I’ve no idea the figures that could be generated of course, I plucked the £5m figure out as that’s the bare minimum I would want to see Knight sold for.
Hopefully we’d be able to sell him for much more, however given the club is currently over a barrel and also with a storied history of underselling our talent compared to other clubs I can’t see it being massive money ? 

3 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Yes. I would hope we could get nearer to £10 m for Knight. But that will depend on whether premier teams are genuinely interested. And how desperate we are.

Just now, Betty Swollocks said:

I think Knight will be sold for around £2 million in Jan. We need CASH up front in order to pay bills and clubs will take advantage of this. Were we trading normally i`m sure we would get 5-8 Million but that would be paid in instalments as is the norm.

our situation right now means that beggars cant be choosers

We have potential buyers lined up. If I was a potential buyer I really would not be happy at all of the clubs assets were being sold at silly prices.

14 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

We have potential buyers lined up. If I was a potential buyer I really would not be happy at all of the clubs assets were being sold at silly prices.

It's purely my opinion but I think that list of buyers lined up might include Rammie, Tracy Shaw and Tosh from The Bill.