Christmas Dinner 2021

Day

Christmas Dinner  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

Haven't had turkey for years. We usually go for one of those multi-birds roast.  We're planning duck, pheasant, partridge and pigeon this year.

(And yes, I have enough self-awareness to know how deeply middle-class that sounds. Chin, chin)

d2977d1e51a48a9e794f61d5d701886b.gif.1c59658c29aba2506cdfbf64a7fb4a65.gif

You mean like a motorway pile up of poultry? ?

Edited by Miggins

?? For getting nut roast and delicious in the same sentence.. Nutter.

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

I'll be having a delicious home-made nut roast. There are some nut roasts that taste like cardboard but if you make your own you can add all your favourite ingredients. Not everyone's choice, I know, but with sweet potatoes, courgettes, mushrooms and pistachios it is delicious. Trust me. ?.

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

I'll be having a delicious home-made nut roast. There are some nut roasts that taste like cardboard but if you make your own you can add all your favourite ingredients. Not everyone's choice, I know, but with sweet potatoes, courgettes, mushrooms and pistachios it is delicious. Trust me. ?.

Edited by Angry Ram

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The best way to eat yorkshires is an hour after your main dinner... smothered in strawberry jam.

It ain't called a puddin' for nowt, lad!  Tha knows!  

Why is there not a throwing up reaction emoji ?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

You mean like they were intended? ?

This was how they were originally served. 

Certainly was at my Gran's. Yorkshire pudding could appear

• As a starter with onion gravy as black as your hat
  • As part of the main course
  • As a pudding with butter and sugar

I don't think we ever had all 3 in the same meal though.

My daughter makes the Christmas dinner, and she was toying with an Asian theme this year, but my grandson Oliver insisted that it must be a 'proper' one for the grown-ups - despite the fact that he won't eat any of it (he is severely autistic and has his own ideas of what is edible and what isn't to him).

My job is the 'nibbles' which tend to be handed around from about noon (dinner proper will be at or around 5:00 pm), and these may include a few of:

• Chinese
    • dumplings - possibly Sheng Jian Bao with either pulled pork or crab
    • Five spice peanuts - basically a peanut brittle type snack
  • Indian
    • Jeera biscuits - a buttery biscuit containing cinnamon and cumin seeds
    • Gujarati Khaman Dokla - a savoury, spicy sponge cake
    • Pakoras and samosas (sweet or savoury)
    • Mini curry pasties and vol-au-vents
    • Brussels sprout bhajis
  • Dutch/Belgian
    • Bitterballen
    • Kroketten

On 03/12/2021 at 19:08, Miggins said:

I might try making a nut roast myself, if I can add all my favourite ingredients. But I'm not sure if mixing roast lamb, mince and dumplings, new york cheesecake, sticky toffee pudding, stilton cheese and a full english, will taste that great.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I might try making a nut roast myself, if I can add all my favourite ingredients. But I'm not sure if mixing roast lamb, mince and dumplings, new york cheesecake, sticky toffee pudding, stilton cheese and a full english, will taste that great.

You remind me of my infants when doing collage work in art. I'd put a huge collection of materials on the table and they would grab handfuls like greedy magpies. It was absolutely useless to tell them that more is less! Still, they had lots of fun, which is probably more than you would have with your fantasy nut roast!! Probably just as messy though! ? If you do try it, hope it stays down before the Queen's Message.?

Edited by Miggins