Brian Clough he met me once you know!

Sufferingfool

Loving the threads reminiscing about the past. This may have been covered before but there will be many of you out there who met the great man and have stories to tell.

My Brian encounter happened back around the very early 90’s. I was with a work colleague doing some very bad juggling at an open day/fete at Central Day Nursery in the west end. Brian came strolling along with Barbara and I think some grand children in tow, stopped and demanded we throw him a juggling ball which I did. He looked at it and said “cricket was my game at school young man” and proceeded to wang it back at me before proceeding onwards with his entourage. I was only glad it was not one of the juggling knives he had not asked for he had the air of someone who had had a couple before setting out!

I had a friend that lived on Meadow Lane in Chadd 1st name Dave he made plaster casts for Dentures, Bit of a lad with a wandering eye or 2 for the ladies, Anyway, He caught the eye of Elizabeth Clough around the mid late 80s, Our Brian wasn't a happy bunny, Stormed round Daves house to demand he call it all off...the reply was "go fourth and multiply" they ended up fighting in Daves front garden, Elizabeth and Dave carried on dating...not to sure how long for as Dave mooched off a little later, Pretty sure Elizabeth was a bit of a rebel and wouldn't heed what Brian said.

It made the News of the World back in the day

Edited by Unlucky Alf

I've told this story at least once before.

Early 1970, won a school essay competition: "who I'd most like to meet". Kevin Hector. My friend wrote about Archie Gemmil.

Our prize was to go to the BBG to watch a training session. Met Brian in his office, shook his hand, honestly didn't wash it for a week. "Young man, I suppose you want my autograph". 

Did the whole tour of the changing rooms, the wall ball wall etc.

Had a great laugh with Les Green who bunked off running around the pitch when Brian went off to answer a phone call.

Got most of the player autographs - except, ironically, Zak. Got that some years later outside the ground on a match day.

I was also served by Brian years later in the Bramcote post office/newsagent.

Back in 68 or 69 I was playing for a youth club team at the racecourse. Normally a winger I was playing right back as we were short of defenders.

I was getting completely skinned by this lad so after the 5th or 6th time I got fed up and totally took him out. 2 footed and late. Got sent off and this unmistakeable voice booms out from the touchline " Don't give up the day job lad"

My career for the Rams was finished there and then.

I was in the Joiners arms with a couple of mates when the then forest manager walked in with a couple of plebs.

The treetard gaffer walked over to where we were sitting and informed us that this was his usual table and then stood by expecting us to move. After a good few seconds passed and realising that we weren't responding in the way he expected,  he raised his voice and told us that we needed to move because this was his table! 

He didn't look to pleased when I said " not tonight it isn't,  now piss off.

We even stopped for a extra pint just to wind him up a bit more. 

Amazing how many encounters with BC ended with someone telling him to do one. Mine is the same. I was a venture scout in the early 70s and a number of us went to a fete in Quarndon in full uniform Can't remember why. Part way through we were relaxed sitting on a fence having a fag. Brian walked across and told us it wasn't a good look in no uncertain terms. We felt what's it got to do with you and responded accordingly. He was a big head but what a bloody great manager of footballers

• 4 months later...

UnluckyAlf, You have 2 minutes on your chosen subject Brian Clough

What did Brian Clough say to John O'Hare when he had the ball at his feet...Pass

What did Brian Clough do when he saw Sam Longson coming towards himself in the tunnel...Pass

What did Brian Clough say to Don Revie when he questioned the Leeds players they couldn't something water...Pass

What did Brian Clough say to the England Manager concerning Colin Todd, He can head and something the ball...Pass

What did Brian Clough do when handing over the 1st division Trophy to Peter Taylor...Pass

What did Brian beep beep beep, I've started so i'll finish

What did Brian Clough say when other people were sitting in his place at the Joiners Arms...are you taking the piss?

UnluckyAlf you have passed on no questions, And got one wrong

I asked what did Brian Clough say when other people were sitting in his place at the Joiners Arms, You said...are you taking the pi$$

When he actually said...i'm off home i'm pi$$ed

I had a university leacturer who claimed he used to drink with Clough when he was Derby manager. Also claimed he drank with Tosh off of the Bill. Also over the time iwas there did fewer and fewer lectures. (I think he was a drinker).

Also apparently saw my grandad arguing at the ticket office about getting season tickets from him and my mum and her brother - not happy that he kept getting told he could only have seats he want, any Clough happens to be going past, demands the lady doing the tickets finds him suitable seats. That was before the 68 season.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I had a university leacturer who claimed he used to drink with Clough when he was Derby manager. Also claimed he drank with Tosh off of the Bill. Also over the time iwas there did fewer and fewer lectures. (I think he was a drinker).

Also apparently saw my grandad arguing at the ticket office about getting season tickets from him and my mum and her brother - not happy that he kept getting told he could only have seats he want, any Clough happens to be going past, demands the lady doing the tickets finds him suitable seats. That was before the 68 season.

I helped Tosh onto his train once after drinking with him in the Midland Hotel.

I'm now of an age where I hope some bugger helps me onto the right train when I stagger out of the Merry Widows.

I am the same age as young clough and throughout all the school years I played against him in all the school sides and clough senior was always there watching - at least I hold the satisfaction that we always won - I was most surprised when clough junior made it a professional  footballer which to me always showed that opportunity can always be about getting visibility to those that matter and the frequency 

A few related to my Dad, though the first one I was there. 

One

Used to live at top end of Woodlands road in Allestree, at me at 9 and my sis at 3 became friends with a family at the end of the road Barbra and Bernard Deeming, lovely people and Bernard was wheelchair bound and had Parkinson's. Well their son David (name often used for AC Hunters ringers,) became my 'mate' who leant me copies of Shoot and stuff and was Simon Coughs besty.

One time a party at their house and Simon and Nigel came, out so did Brian, my little sis spent most of the night sat on Brians knee whilst he admired, in his words, her 'Shirley Bassey' boots.

Then it got to about 7/8pm and Nigel and Simon, Nige 10 years older thane me so 19 then, said "were off out dad" Brian looked at them and just said "These good people have invited you into their homes so you will stay here and enjoy yourself.

Two

after the league win their was a celebration at Pennine/Midland Hotel? because they were scared of an attack because it was Student Rage Week (Not Quite AL Q back then was it?) the Police sent  couple of DC's to oversee, old man was one of them, there job was just basically to sit in a hotel room and wait if any trouble. Brian met them asked "do you like wine boys?"  and instructed them to take s much as they wanted during the night, and end of evening Brian asked one of them (Think the Sgt.) to drive his Jag? back to the BBG.

Three

My fave this, there was a Derbyshire Solicitor who was  great mate of Cloughie who was asked to drive the European Cup home/or for some reason the EC was in Cloughies car boot. This was after a good drink. He predictably crashed and had to go to  house, borrow a phone and ring Brian to tell him he'd crashed his car with the European Cup in it, Brian didn't care just said "stay there, I'll come pick you up before the Police get you" He cared more about his mate than the EC. Just a top bloke.

Many more stories of him watching Derbyshire Sunday League footy, buying shopping for older people in Quarndon.

Bloke was an absolute legend

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I helped Tosh onto his train once after drinking with him in the Midland Hotel.

I'm now of an age where I hope some bugger helps me onto the right train when I stagger out of the Merry Widows.

Unfortunately you’d more likely get someone videoing you trying to board the coal train that’s pulled in.

10 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I am the same age as young clough and throughout all the school years I played against him in all the school sides and clough senior was always there watching - at least I hold the satisfaction that we always won - I was most surprised when clough junior made it a professional  footballer which to me always showed that opportunity can always be about getting visibility to those that matter and the frequency 

NC played for AC Hunters as did Simon, BC would be there every game, I played against them once in the Cup, We got spanked 6-0, Our keeper never turned up so I went in goal, I was encouraging and shouting to our lot, But to no avail, After the game BC pulled up in his Merc on Darley Park wound his window down and said,,,"young man you're a credit to the game" all our team pi$$ed themselves when I got in the changing rooms.

There was a team named Coronation 81, A lot of tasty lads played for them, When playing AC Hunters as Hunters always played in a Forest kit it would attract the more vocal supporters, Anyhow, This one game against 81 it became a kicking Nigel and Simon game, Only an 81 player came off worse, Ambulance called and taken to the DRI, BC gets in touch with the secretary of 81 to ask on the players injury, Cartlidge I believe, The message was, Once he's been given the all clear for physio send him to us, The player did and was looked after the Forest Physios, Never again was there any bother with supporters or players from the 81 team.

Clever fella was our Brian

There are of course many brilliant quotes, publicly attributed to Brian Clough over the years. In fact he is surely one of the most quoted and wittiest characters in the whole  history of football in the UK. One of my favourite stories I heard about him came not from something I read but directly from a local businessman for whom I worked for a short while in the mid 1970s. He was a member of Chevin golf club, a Rams season ticket holder and he lived just around the corner from Brian who was then living on Ferrers Way just off Duffield Road. He was also on speaking terms with him.

He said that Brian applied to become a member at Chevin and was invited to a selection interview at the club. By this time he was known nationally and without doubt the most famous man in Derby. On Derby County match day duty he was always immaculately turned out in a suit and tie. But for the golf club interview he turned up in paint splattered casual clothes and training shoes, as though he had just broken off from home decoration duties.

He was invited into the committee room to meet the interview panel, by the chairman,  who introduced himself as a doctor. The good doctor opened the interchange by telling Brian "On your application form Mr. Clough, you describe your occupation as a manager. Could you please tell the committee just what it is that you manage?"

Cloughie replied "When you met me outside, you introduced yourself as a doctor. But you didn't tell me if you were a witch doctor, a horse doctor, a pox doctor or whatever. Nor did I see it to be of any relevance because I only came here to join your golf club, not for a medical examination."

He was then invited to wait outside while the committee deliberated its decision. When the time came for them to deliver the verdict, it was found that Brian had left the building. There was no further communication on the matter between him and the golf club.