Petition to not petition to strip Mel of his CBE

Taribo

I get the anger at him getting to walk away scot-free from this mess he's created (albeit £200MILLION of his own money lighter) but c'mon he's not Pol Pot, he's not embezzled or even done anything remotely illegal. Perhaps slightly immoral as it's put jobs at risk/forced redundancy.

The MBE was for services to business and charity, he's not exactly demanded all his charity money be repaid to him. This business (already loss making when he bought it and funded by his own money) has failed undoubtedly but that does not erase his past contributions to other business?

The petition to strip his CBE from him is petty and misguided and the small minority who have actually signed it tars the entire fanbase with looking like spoilt children.

I think its probably best we just all agree he wasn't what we thought he was, or actually he turned out to be what a very few said he was at the beginning, apologies to those as I thought he was the bees knees.

I'm sick of living in a world where we have to strip people of titles, rip them to shreds in public, tear down statues and make apologies for things because some feel embarrassed, angry or offended.

If the media circus in cricket this last couple of weeks has shown anything, it is that those shouting the loudest probably need to check themselves before pointing fingers.

21 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

or actually he turned out to be what a very few said he was at the beginning, apologies to those

The thing is those people will say the same about anyone and everyone who comes into such a position.

It doesn't mean that have any particular foresight or knowledge, or should be bowed down and apologised to when things end badly.

We could all take up a predetermined stance that the next new owner, next managerial appointment etc will be a failure, it's the easy route to looking smarter than others when it eventually happens, as it does the vast majority of the time.

It's much more difficult to back someone and maintain a stance that they'll be a success.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

16 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

The thing is those people will say the same about anyone and everyone who comes into such a position.

It doesn't mean that have any particular foresight or knowledge, or should be bowed down and apologised to when things end badly.

We could all take up a predetermined stance that the next new owner, next managerial appointment etc will be a failure, it's the easy route to looking smarter than others when it eventually happens, as it does the vast majority of the time.

It's much more difficult to back someone and maintain a stance that they'll be a success.

To be honest I always remember a post on her or another forum that said something along the lines "I have worked with him (or for him) and I think he will be the worse thing to happen to this club, he listens to no one but himself"

I would love to be able to find the post again because out of all the positivity when Mel took over that message stuck out as being ridiculous, turns out he was the only one who had an inclining of what was to come going off previous experience.

I will just edit this to say, at no point did anyone have any ide what was to come. Had Thorne not done his ACL, then break his leg, had Rowett not gone totally defensive for 135 minutes against Fulham, had Derby not had a mare against Hull in the first leg or Lampard picking Bennett up front on his own, or Roos having a mare and that Zamora goal...things could have been so different.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

17 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Petition to put this Petition to not petition to strip Mel of his CBE thread into the Petition to strip Melvyn of his CBE thread.

I did think that I should put it in that thread but it would just bump that thread to the top again and appear to any journos/other supporters/etc. etc. that we as a fanbase were in support of stripping the CBE.

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

I get the anger at him getting to walk away scot-free from this mess he's created (albeit £200MILLION of his own money lighter) but c'mon he's not Pol Pot, he's not embezzled or even done anything remotely illegal. Perhaps slightly immoral as it's put jobs at risk/forced redundancy.

The MBE was for services to business and charity, he's not exactly demanded all his charity money be repaid to him. This business (already loss making when he bought it and funded by his own money) has failed undoubtedly but that does not erase his past contributions to other business?

The petition to strip his CBE from him is petty and misguided and the small minority who have actually signed it tars the entire fanbase with looking like spoilt children.

Totally agree. Also, whilst I’m not suggesting he deserves any sympathy, if he ends up walking away £200m down then he’s hardly walked away Scot-free.

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

Wonder if St John Ambulance feel he deserves it. So charitable that 8k was still owed to them and was eventually paid by the fans. Never mind that though he has an MBE... Embarrassing. If i was walking away like he did I would be god damn sure to make sure charities like STJ were paid even if it meant me dipping into my millions. Oh wait....

6 hours ago, Taribo said:

Did he tick the gift aid box when donating all of that money that's the question

3 hours ago, therams69 said:

Wonder if St John Ambulance feel he deserves it. So charitable that 8k was still owed to them and was eventually paid by the fans. Never mind that though he has an MBE... Embarrassing. If i was walking away like he did I would be god damn sure to make sure charities like STJ were paid even if it meant me dipping into my millions. Oh wait....

Genuine question as I have no idea how it works but although the fans have paid the £8k (well, £10k actually so far for which a large round of applause is due) I would assume though that DCFC still owe St Johns Ambulance the original £8K so they'll get that as part of the sale deal, so double their money?  

4 hours ago, therams69 said:

Who knows. Leaving a debt of £8k isn’t great but perhaps whatever he has done for charity (I genuinely have no idea) far outweighs this sum.

34 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Genuine question as I have no idea how it works but although the fans have paid the £8k (well, £10k actually so far for which a large round of applause is due) I would assume though that DCFC still owe St Johns Ambulance the original £8K so they'll get that as part of the sale deal, so double their money?  

We have to get away from the thought that "Fans have paid the monies owed".

At best, the fans have paid the equivalent of the monies owed (Plus a bit more, of course), by way of charitable donations. 
DCFC still owe the money, and the SJA may see none of that, 10p in the pound, 30p in the pound, or any figure up to the full amount, at any stage in the future (All yet to be finalised, of course) so yes, in theory, they could "Double up".

Here's hoping they do.  

??

2 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Club are aware following todays meeting with them and will hopefully be putting something out. With that I would imagine the bill would be null for DCFC.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Who knows. Leaving a debt of £8k isn’t great but perhaps whatever he has done for charity (I genuinely have no idea) far outweighs this sum.

Every charity will tell you that every penny and pound counts for alot so for me this is utter contempt. You should all know by now that it was about the Mel Morris show. If he was Lionel and skint, I could understand, fact is he is not. I genuinely believe that shows alot about a person and their character. I can only judge myself in this situation but before exiting any business that I owned by god would I ensure that certain bills such as this was paid, if not to stop any further embarrassment. He should not be allowed to hide behind the 'club' owing it either.