Talk Sport

TigerTedd

There’s lots to not like about Talk Sport, it’s basically click bait in audio form. But I do like to have it on in the back ground, and it keeps me up to date on what’s generally going on in sport. I honestly can’t work out what other radio station I could listen to. Radio 5 more often than not talks about other subjects I don’t care about. Music radio stations normally just play the same music over and over again. So I’m not sure what else I can just turn on when I’m in the car. 

This isn’t about that, although suggestions of alternatives are welcome. 

This is about news on Talk Sport. It actively makes me laugh, when the leading news story is that some C list ex footballer has said such and such. It wouldn’t be news on any other station. It’s just that said c list ex footballer has just said it on talk sport 5 mins earlier. It’s just that guys opinion, with no evidence to back it up. How does that make it into a news article? It’s just a talk sport highlight (for want if a better word) reel.

Today’s breaking news was ‘ex-England striker Gabby Agbonlahor says, after their 7-0 loss at the weekend, Norwich will break a premier league record.’

Why the duck do I care about Gabby Agbonlohor’s opinion on the subject?!? Let alone why is it newsworthy?!?

For me at least most of the time I listen to my spotify when travelling or doing work. Allows me to choose my own music lists and alternate depending on what I feel like. I don't spend much time on rolling news these days but instead listen to podcasts on subjects that interest me and with hosts that I enjoy. I get my news content from mags and newspapers such as Spectator, Unherd, times, telegraph, and the guardian. 

I get my DCFC news from Here...

I get my general footy news from Here...

General sports news is usually gleaned from Here...

And all other news... be that local, national, international, or just utter drivel... can usually be found Here...

Maybe the odd bit of gossip at the dining table (If I'm listening!), and that's about it.

Anything else just isn't worth knowing, in my book!

Car radio is now tuned to DAB Greatest Hits Derbyshire, set to very low volume, and goes almost unnoticed. (Only have a short commute... less than 10 mins)
Occasionally catch Jeremy on BBCR2 lunchtime, but it's rare to be in the car at that time on a weekday.  

I loathe TS with a passion.

A few months after moving back to the UK ai almost posted a thread about it asking why on earthe would anybody listen to it.

It *seems* that 70% of the time I hit the button to listen to it when I lose interest in 5Live it's adverts. Maybe I'm unlucky or maybe I just *think* it's that because it's a lot, but I haven't listened in 6 or 7 months now.

Even when it wasn't adverts it was utter baalocks.

Other than that, yeh I'm with ya.

I like TalkSport on the whole. Love Simon Jordan/Jim White, love H&J, love Durham and Gough. Love Brazil, Woods and McCoist.

However, they seem to have gone down a road of poor choice of pundit - O'Hara and Agbonlahor being particularly cretinous.  

And don't get me started on Goldstein.

But a better alternative to anything beginning with BBC

6 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I like TalkSport on the whole. Love Simon Jordan/Jim White, love H&J, love Durham and Gough. Love Brazil, Woods and McCoist.

However, they seem to have gone down a road of poor choice of pundit - O'Hara and Agbonlahor being particularly cretinous.  

This. 

The presenters are great for the most part. Ally McCoist is quality. Some of the pundits are so c-list though. How did Darren Bent get his own show? 

some of the discussion gets a bit much when it’s arguing / being contrary just for the sake of having some content. But generally I enjoy the discussions.

I can handle the adverts, all stations have adverts now, it’s a way of life. 

but it’s the news that really gets me. Other stations can find plenty in the world to fill their news up without ‘world exclusive, Jamie o’hara thinks Norwich are doomed!’

I can’t do pod casts. Got a couple of good ones I listen to when I’m running, but when I’m driving I want something I can just stick on the radio, and I do want some sort of current news input in my life.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I get my DCFC news from Here...

I get my general footy news from Here...

General sports news is usually gleaned from Here...

And all other news... be that local, national, international, or just utter drivel... can usually be found Here...

Maybe the odd bit of gossip at the dining table (If I'm listening!), and that's about it.

Anything else just isn't worth knowing, in my book!

Car radio is now tuned to DAB Greatest Hits Derbyshire, set to very low volume, and goes almost unnoticed. (Only have a short commute... less than 10 mins)
Occasionally catch Jeremy on BBCR2 lunchtime, but it's rare to be in the car at that time on a weekday.  

So you're basically saying that you don't listen to Muckerette at the dinner table.  No wonder she sits 10 yards away from you when you're having a break whilst walking

41 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Couldn’t agree more, the honest you mention in the 1st paragraph are pretty decent. However the new crowd are awful, how the hell has O’Hara suddenly got a lead role? ………I’m also with you on Goldstein, now he’s a proper helmet. 

Just noticed the BBC are doing it now. One of their pundits says something on one of their TV shows and it becomes news on their website.

Micah Richards is a good pundit, but how is his opinion news? @Davidmight as well start a news section on here populating it with the opinions of various posters. 

image.thumb.png.b123dcad5a4194b2f3e3a4119ec1c7dc.png

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

Just noticed the BBC are doing it now. One of their pundits says something on one of their TV shows and it becomes news on their website.

Micah Richards is a good pundit, but how is his opinion news? @Davidmight as well start a news section on here populating it with the opinions of various posters. 

image.thumb.png.b123dcad5a4194b2f3e3a4119ec1c7dc.png

Opinion pieces have been around for years, newspapers are full of them. They are now just including the pundit/journalist in the title now, which is actually helpful as you know what you're getting into. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Opinion pieces have been around for years, newspapers are full of them. They are now just including the pundit/journalist in the title now, which is actually helpful as you know what you're getting into. 

But wasn’t it normally the opinion of some respected journalist or columnist writing their own opinion. Now it seems to all just be, ‘this guy (who isn’t particularly related to the situation, has no inside sources, and doesn’t really have a clue) said something about something, exclusively on one of our broadcasts.’ Then a journalist writes a story about that. So it’s not even the journalist’s opinion, they’re just reporting that someone else had an opinion on something.

Has journalism always been this crap, just in different ways, or is it a recent thing, brought about by the decline of print media?

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But wasn’t it normally the opinion of some respected journalist or columnist writing their own opinion. Now it seems to all just be, ‘this guy (who isn’t particularly related to the situation, has no inside sources, and doesn’t really have a clue) said something about something, exclusively on one of our broadcasts.’ Then a journalist writes a story about that. So it’s not even the journalist’s opinion, they’re just reporting that someone else had an opinion on something.

Has journalism always been this crap, just in different ways, or is it a recent thing, brought about by the decline of print media?

Wouldn't say he has no inside sources, played the game, works with Sky Sports and fellow ex pros, they will have connections, possibly better than your standard journalists.

I mean look at the Athletic, they appointed Ryan Conway and now someone else, journalists but you wouldn't guess they are particularly ITK, that comes through years of building connections.

Would imagine players and managers are more open with ex players turned pundit than they are headline chasers.

3 hours ago, David said:

Wouldn't say he has no inside sources, played the game, works with Sky Sports and fellow ex pros, they will have connections, possibly better than your standard journalists.

I mean look at the Athletic, they appointed Ryan Conway and now someone else, journalists but you wouldn't guess they are particularly ITK, that comes through years of building connections.

Would imagine players and managers are more open with ex players turned pundit than they are headline chasers.

Maybe I could give the BBC that credit. But Talk Sport, they’ll send someone like ‘the moose’ to actually ask questions, you can tell he has sources, he actually goes to talk to people. Whereas the ex pundits, they clearly just pull opinions out of a hat. There’s no research there or work gone into it. There might be a little bit of Itk, or they might have had a text message from on old colleague or something. But generally pundits aren’t journalists, so they haven’t done the graft to track down these stories.

this day and age though, I don’t think most journalists do either. Research consists of sifting through Twitter and writing an article about someone else’s tweet. But proper journalists cultivate contacts and sources and go and knock on doors and ask people questions. I don’t think pundits do that. A bit of insight doesn’t make you a journalist. 

14 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Maybe I could give the BBC that credit. But Talk Sport, they’ll send someone like ‘the moose’ to actually ask questions, you can tell he has sources, he actually goes to talk to people. Whereas the ex pundits, they clearly just pull opinions out of a hat. There’s no research there or work gone into it. There might be a little bit of Itk, or they might have had a text message from on old colleague or something. But generally pundits aren’t journalists, so they haven’t done the graft to track down these stories.

this day and age though, I don’t think most journalists do either. Research consists of sifting through Twitter and writing an article about someone else’s tweet. But proper journalists cultivate contacts and sources and go and knock on doors and ask people questions. I don’t think pundits do that. A bit of insight doesn’t make you a journalist. 

TalkSport is terrible. Not sure why anyone listens to it. 

12 hours ago, David said:

TalkSport is terrible. Not sure why anyone listens to it. 

TalkSport is the sister site of TalkRadio which @cstand and @G STAR RAM are probably avid listeners and @Carl Sagan is probably a contributer (or is frantically emailing the HQ with his CV!).

It's an excellent media outlet. 

I'm off to grow mesen some concrete!

6 hours ago, Parsnip said:

TalkSport is the sister site of TalkRadio which @cstand and @G STAR RAM are probably avid listeners and @Carl Sagan is probably a contributer (or is frantically emailing the HQ with his CV!).

It's an excellent media outlet. 

I'm off to grow mesen some concrete!

Not an avid listener but I do listen to it sometimes, mainly because I like to listen to a range of views rather than live in an echo chamber.