Why Do You Love Derby County?

DarkFruitsRam7

I don’t know what I did wrong in a previous life but my football team was decided before I was born.

Growing up in Cornwall, there was no local team. The nearest professional side, Plymouth Argyle, were nearly two hours away. All of my friends supported Manchester United, or Liverpool, or Arsenal. That’s the route I’d have taken too if my dad didn’t have different ideas.

From around the age of six, I was being literally dragged out of bed at 05:30 on a Saturday, put in a car and driven to Derby. One stop at Cullompton Services for McDonald’s breakfast, few hours in Derby, watch the game and run to the car to beat the traffic after the game. Get back home at around 11pm if we were lucky.

I’ve watched some poo football, and had the piss taken out of me endlessly for my choice of team. If people don’t take the piss, then they just treat me with confusion and/or amazement.

Yet I wouldn’t change it for the world. I’d still travel every mile again. And as an adult I still continue to travel to watch them play. I’ve been to some weird places, loved it all.

So whatever happens, nothing for me has changed. I will still love this club, and if the very worst happens and a Phoenix club is born instead, then I guess people will be even more confused as to why I support a football team at the bottom of the football pyramid 350 miles away.

4 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Born Derby, no longer live there. Dad indoctrinated me and something we have always shared. He is currently v ill. So it represents home and family and is all tangled up with dad for me

Hope he gets well.

Hopefully there'll be some good news on the football front soon to help cheer him on.

Best wishes ?

I remember going to Leicester in my teens. It was one of the first away games I'd gone to without an adult and with a mate. I stupidly had a Le Coq Sportif coat and Leicester had that as a kit manufacturer.

Typical Derby game and there was some trouble outside the ground. Me and my mate walked straight into the middle of it as a copper got shoved to the floor in front of us. Few items being thrown about. 

Anyway this huge bloke Leicester fan grabbed me by my neck and dragged me behind him. He said "get behind me mate" and then started telling "come on then you sheep shagging Bamfords!!" to some Derby fans opposite. There was a bit more throwing and the usual nonsense before the police got a line going. 

So we're walking off with all these Leicester fans and I whisper to my mate "we've got Derby shirts on under our coats!!" Meanwhile this Leicester fan is bawling about meeting up with the sheep here and there and catching up to them. 

My mate comes up with the most stupid idea and we just create a bit of distance between ourselves and the big geezer with his mates. Then we open our coats and start yelling we are sheep shaggers you fat this and that!! Who the feck are you!! 

We ran like Usain Bolt. The guy didn't even chase us but it weirdly felt like he was right on our heels. We ran and ran until we found Derby fans and then just couldn't stop laughing. We bumped into his Dad's mates and told them what happened and they were laughing and going on about the big fat useless xxxx. 

We traveled back with them, had a can of beer each and felt 10ft tall. We talked about it at school all week. "Let's go away again!!"

Two little scrawny idiot kids playing at "lad banter". Cringey I guess. 

But it was that feeling of belonging, the feeling of being in enemy territory, the feeling of grown men treating us not like kids and feeling like we had to show our Derby pride (at a safe distance) that you don't really get to experience in many walks of life. That real tribal pride. 

It was like the first time I went to the BBG and was surrounding by adults stood loud and proud. It just felt great to pretend to be one of them. 

It's just tribal. And I still love football in it's raw form both on the pitch and in the stands. Unfortunately now there's so much bs surrounding it. 

But Derby will always be my tribe. UTR!!! 

19 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don’t know what I did wrong in a previous life but my football team was decided before I was born.

Growing up in Cornwall, there was no local team. The nearest professional side, Plymouth Argyle, were nearly two hours away. All of my friends supported Manchester United, or Liverpool, or Arsenal. That’s the route I’d have taken too if my dad didn’t have different ideas.

From around the age of six, I was being literally dragged out of bed at 05:30 on a Saturday, put in a car and driven to Derby. One stop at Cullompton Services for McDonald’s breakfast, few hours in Derby, watch the game and run to the car to beat the traffic after the game. Get back home at around 11pm if we were lucky.

I’ve watched some poo football, and had the piss taken out of me endlessly for my choice of team. If people don’t take the piss, then they just treat me with confusion and/or amazement.

Yet I wouldn’t change it for the world. I’d still travel every mile again. And as an adult I still continue to travel to watch them play. I’ve been to some weird places, loved it all.

So whatever happens, nothing for me has changed. I will still love this club, and if the very worst happens and a Phoenix club is born instead, then I guess people will be even more confused as to why I support a football team at the bottom of the football pyramid 350 miles away.

I was at a wedding in Ireland and met a bloke there from Belfast.  He's a PE teacher and basically everyone there supports Man Utd or Liverpool amongst the usual Glasgow affiliations.  He's bonkers on Derby having lived here for 2 years when he was about 11 back in the late 70's  When the kids he teaches ask him which team he supports and he replies Derby, they look at him like he's from outer space apparently.

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I remember going to Leicester in my teens. It was one of the first away games I'd gone to without an adult and with a mate. I stupidly had a Le Coq Sportif coat and Leicester had that as a kit manufacturer.

Typical Derby game and there was some trouble outside the ground. Me and my mate walked straight into the middle of it as a copper got shoved to the floor in front of us. Few items being thrown about. 

Anyway this huge bloke Leicester fan grabbed me by my neck and dragged me behind him. He said "get behind me mate" and then started telling "come on then you sheep shagging Bamfords!!" to some Derby fans opposite. There was a bit more throwing and the usual nonsense before the police got a line going. 

So we're walking off with all these Leicester fans and I whisper to my mate "we've got Derby shirts on under our coats!!" Meanwhile this Leicester fan is bawling about meeting up with the sheep here and there and catching up to them. 

My mate comes up with the most stupid idea and we just create a bit of distance between ourselves and the big geezer with his mates. Then we open our coats and start yelling we are sheep shaggers you fat this and that!! Who the feck are you!! 

We ran like Usain Bolt. The guy didn't even chase us but it weirdly felt like he was right on our heels. We ran and ran until we found Derby fans and then just couldn't stop laughing. We bumped into his Dad's mates and told them what happened and they were laughing and going on about the big fat useless xxxx. 

We traveled back with them, had a can of beer each and felt 10ft tall. We talked about it at school all week. "Let's go away again!!"

Two little scrawny idiot kids playing at "lad banter". Cringey I guess. 

But it was that feeling of belonging, the feeling of being in enemy territory, the feeling of grown men treating us not like kids and feeling like we had to show our Derby pride (at a safe distance) that you don't really get to experience in many walks of life. That real tribal pride. 

It was like the first time I went to the BBG and was surrounding by adults stood loud and proud. It just felt great to pretend to be one of them. 

It's just tribal. And I still love football in it's raw form both on the pitch and in the stands. Unfortunately now there's so much bs surrounding it. 

But Derby will always be my tribe. UTR!!! 

Many on here will have gone through the same stuff Alpha, not me though. I was dead hard at the age of 15.

Until I got chased all round a council estate in Leeds for half an hour then realised I was dead scared.?

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Many on here will have gone through the same stuff Alpha, not me though. I was dead hard at the age of 15.

Until I got chased all round a council estate in Leeds for half an hour then realised I was dead scared.?

Do ever see young lads doing all the bravado thing now and think what little poo he is? He'd soon shut up if anyone went to him!

Things we forget!