Poll: Do we fans need a 'pound of flesh' from Mel?

RoyMac5

Pound of flesh?  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's not being a hypocrite. We as fans didn't know all the goings on inside the club. He did. He is the owner, he is responsible. Just because we didn't moan at the time, doesn't mean we can't say anything now. We as fans expect him to run the club properly. He simply hasn't done that. 

So you didnt simply say when we were spending money that this may bite us in the backside? No you didnt of course. You danced and sang like the rest of us. The biggest downfall we have had is not gone up in 4 play offs. Its as simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

So you didnt simply say when we were spending money that this may bite us in the backside? No you didnt of course. You danced and sang like the rest of us. The biggest downfall we have had is not gone up in 4 play offs. Its as simple as that. 

I had a feeling that it would bite us in the backside when signings didn't work out. But we never changed, we kept doing the same thing over and over again. Overspending. Yes we've come close, but Mel has gambled the future of the club on it. What he has done and the situation we're in now is simply unacceptable. 

Just now, Rammy03 said:

I had a feeling that it would bite us in the backside when signings didn't work out. But we never changed, we kept doing the same thing over and over again. Overspending. Yes we've come close, but Mel has gambled the future of the club on it. What he has done and the situation we're in now is simply unacceptable. 

And not one Derby fan moaned at Mel spending money. Plenty of Captain Hindsights around at the minute. We gambled. It didnt work. It nearly did. Derby will build back. No doubt in my mind about that. For now we have to take our medicine and move on. Ive seen bad times before. Derby will rebuild. 

4 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

If you're a parent and you splash out on your kids at Xmas, then don't pay the mortgage in January, you can't blame the kids for accepting the presents. We all bought into the "EFL on strings" style and thought that Mel and Pearce had played a blinder. We didn't know that allegedly Rooney had to play or we had to pay his wages, we didn't know multiple players had 1 year extension clauses they could unilaterally invoke, and to be fair, no-one knew we'd have 18 months of disruption from a global pandemic 

23 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

And not one Derby fan moaned at Mel spending money. Plenty of Captain Hindsights around at the minute. We gambled. It didnt work. It nearly did. Derby will build back. No doubt in my mind about that. For now we have to take our medicine and move on. Ive seen bad times before. Derby will rebuild. 

You've said it yourself. We gambled. That's the problem. It was no way to run a football club. It was reckless. And now look at us. But I hope you're right, I hope we can rebuild.

Mel's tenure has to be judged on where he's left us and if we're being honest we're an absolute basket case of a club right now. He's been completely imprudent during his tenure, had no distinctive identity in his leadership of the club and has increasingly resorted to famous appointments papering over the growing cracks. Fundamentally, he's made so many mistakes he's harmed the club for potentially a very long time and our reputation with both the governing body and the outside world is at a pretty much all time low. 

He's not had bad intentions but he can't be considered an owner who has left us in a good place and the silence from him and the board since reality has bitten around the club hasn't exactly helped matters. He was more than happy to accept the applause and adulation early on in his reign so now he's got to be ready to face the music since things have hit peak awful.  

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Mel's tenure has to be judged on where he's left us and if we're being honest we're an absolute basket case of a club right now. He's been completely imprudent during his tenure, had no distinctive identity in his leadership of the club and has increasingly resorted to famous appointments papering over the growing cracks. Fundamentally, he's made so many mistakes he's harmed the club for potentially a very long time and our reputation with both the governing body and the outside world is at a pretty much all time low. 

He's not had bad intentions but he can't be considered an owner who has left us in a good place and the silence from him and the board since reality has bitten around the club hasn't exactly helped matters. He was more than happy to accept the applause and adulation early on in his reign so now he's got to be ready to face the music since things have hit peak awful.  

Who says he isn't? 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's understandably much anger against Mel and his running of the club.

But bottom line is we are where we are. Mel is still trying to keep things ticking over, the EFL are trying to stop him. 

Do you really need a pound of flesh (one definition: something that someone owes you that you take even though it will cause them to suffer)?

I don't. We need to move on and we can do that even with Mel still in charge, in my opinion obvs.

Would you still feel the same of it wasn't Rooney in charge or if Wayne was sacked in the coming months by Mel or another owner?

My view is that Mel did what he thought was the best way to get us promoted at the time and it didn't work out...that led to trying to get around the rules and regs in an effort to reduce his losses.

This didnt work out.

We tried celebrity managers and with lampard it very nearly went our way,the other not so,up to now anyways.

He clearly isn't in the best of health and he wants out and as a result has been duped twice by circling sharks.

Personally,I thank him for his efforts but in his enthusiasm  to succeed he has taken to the brink of bankruptcy and we really need the club sold to someone or something that can run us sustainably again as soon as possible.

It's a shame it came to this,he didn't mean it too I'm sure of that.

It's nice to see the majority have voted no. The man has put so much into the club and I'm sure that if he could do it all again, he may well do certain things differently like most of us in life.

I don't think his motives can ever be questioned and believe he's done everything with the best of intentions.

On top of that, hasn't he been / is still battling illness??  Before any moron thinks about booing him or hurling abuse his way, maybe they should think how they'd feel if that was done to a friend or family member of theirs in the same situation??

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Would you still feel the same of it wasn't Rooney in charge or if Wayne was sacked in the coming months by Mel or another owner?

Yes. You're anti-Rooney obsession is getting in front of your eyes.

If the club looks like it is trying to move forward - and it looks that way - that is what is important.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

If the club looks like it is trying to move forward - and it looks that way - that is what is important.

Roy, can you point me to a time when the club has been trying to move backwards.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Mate,I think it's the other way around...this new found enthusiasm for everything since Rooney took over is slightly disturbing to me,I half expect you to come around on Sundays in a bad suit trying to get us to go to the Rooney branch of the Mormons.

Where's the half cynical Roy gone mate,I miss the old bugger.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Mate,I think it's the other way around...this new found enthusiasm for everything since Rooney took over is slightly disturbing to me,I half expect you to come around on Sundays in a bad suit trying to get us to go to the Rooney branch of the Mormons.

Where's the half cynical Roy gone mate,I miss the old bugger.

Mate, you're missing the point. Rooney looks to be taking the club forward and while he's doing that then he gets my support. If it wasn't Rooney but someone else, then if it looked like we were progressing then they get my support. I didn't like Rowett's football but said if he got us promoted then that was what counted. But he didn't.

So while we move forwards then it's good. That's fairly cynical isn't it? If Rooney screws it up then it's on to the next one. Same with Mel. We're all now hoping he moves on. But while it was looking good we were all (mostly) supporting him. It's the way it goes. #COYR

I suspect (but cannot prove) that Mel is gutted at how things have turned out, how gullible and naive he's been in some of his decisions. 

For us as fans, we need to be realistic about where we were before Mel, before we can make sense of his legacy. To my mind, we were a loss making club, with a once in a decade team, but without the infrastructure to maintain and renew the players. Mel invested heavily to improve the infrastructure, but it's only been partially successful - youth production is good but talent spotting /scouting is not. 

So when people say that Mel has "bankrupted dcfc" he really hasn't. He's spent his own cash.