Odds on relegation

Poynton ram

14 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Although I cannot place a bet here, I am arranging through a friend in the uk a bet that the Rams will get promotion 16/1 is a nice price and worth a good punt.

FWIW I would rather cut off my own arm than either bet against the rams or bet on them being relegated, anyone who does is beneath contempt 

what is wrong with putting a bet on to at least console someone if the worst does happen? I used to put a couple of quid on us losing most matches i went as if at least we lost I'd get a few quid and if we won I wouldn't care. 

16/1 isn't exactly stellar odds for a promotion run given our current situation, I'd be finding a better bookmaker. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

what is wrong with putting a bet on to at least console someone if the worst does happen? I used to put a couple of quid on us losing most matches i went as if at least we lost I'd get a few quid and if we won I wouldn't care. 

16/1 isn't exactly stellar odds for a promotion run given our current situation, I'd be finding a better bookmaker. 

Indeed. It’s also about using your ? knowledge. My son, an avid Rams fan, was realistic enough to realise that during our one win in 16 games run at the end of last season that even average teams were likely to beat us, not that he wanted that to happen. He gets really down when we lose. He did an accumulator on Preston, Brum and Swansea to beat us and won £200. He would gladly have lost it all for a Rams win but at least he got something out of the disappointment. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Indeed. It’s also about using your ? knowledge. My son, an avid Rams fan, was realistic enough to realise that during our one win in 16 games run at the end of last season that even average teams were likely to beat us, not that he wanted that to happen. He gets really down when we lose. He did an accumulator on Preston, Brum and Swansea to beat us and won £200. He would gladly have lost it all for a Rams win but at least he got something out of the disappointment. 

Definitely, and an accumulator is always a bit of additional fun tbh. It also often makes you think about other teams strengths and weaknesses when putting a bet on. 

19 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

FWIW I would rather cut off my own arm than either bet against the rams or bet on them being relegated, anyone who does is beneath contempt 

Tbh I've often bet against the rams over the years. Putting a tenner here or there for us to lose a big game or for a particularly nobhead ex-player to score against us. 

That way if we win, I don't care about the bet. But if we lose or some ******* like Rob Earnshaw actually decides to turn up against us, I get a nice payout to take the edge off. 

Edited by Robert Earnshaws Workrate

13 hours ago, wingfieldram said:

Betfair exchange are offering odds of 2.7 for Derby to get relegated. Alternatively you can lay them at odds of 4 (with liability, should that bet fail).

I wish that I understood that.

I think that you are saying that the bet can be bought at 2.7 to 1.

But what is the laying off "with liability".

Edited by Ken Tram

3 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Wait til the Point deduction arrives; we'll be odds on!

?

Even with a 12-point deduction, we'll definitely be safe from relegation if we are in top-half-table form ?, and could be as low as 16th or something. 

(I went back five or six years ... and you can finish quite low down most years ... and still be 12 points above the relegation zone.

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

This is far more sobering… 

EF6DE92D-B12A-4801-B8A3-E6E6B024883D.png

If I thought that we were less likely than that to me relegated, is there a way to bet on that?

Is that what was meant above by "laying off at 4 (to 1) with liability"?

Does it mean acting as a pseudo bookmaker, and buying bets at 4 to 1, for Derby being related?

If so, I guess that it would mean that if I wanted to lay off £100 worth of bets, I would have to deposit £400 - but would get back the £400 plus £100 if Derby survived relegation - but lose the £400 if Derby were relegated?

I think ... I'd rather put £100 on Derby getting relegated at 3 to 1 (£2 per week), and then have £300 to treat myself and soften the blow if we were relegated.

Or maybe, I should just put £2 per week in a jam jar, and treat myself to £100 whether or not we are relegated. On this basis, I'm not sure that there is any point in season-long bets! I can see that betting on individual matches could add excitement - and offer bigger payouts with accumulators - but it seems better to keep money in my own pocket for long term bets.

Unless, of course I am certain about the outcome of the season! Actually ... some people have posted that they are certain, so they should definitely bet their house, and the shirt on their back, and quadruple their money! 300% interest!

9 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

If I thought that we were less likely than that to me relegated, is there a way to bet on that?

Is that what was meant above by "laying off at 4 (to 1) with liability"?

Does it mean acting as a pseudo bookmaker, and buying bets at 4 to 1, for Derby being related?

If so, I guess that it would mean that if I wanted to lay off £100 worth of bets, I would have to deposit £400 - but would get back the £400 plus £100 if Derby survived relegation - but lose the £400 if Derby were relegated?

I think ... I'd rather put £100 on Derby getting relegated at 3 to 1 (£2 per week), and then have £300 to treat myself and soften the blow if we were relegated.

Or maybe, I should just put £2 per week in a jam jar, and treat myself to £100 whether or not we are relegated. On this basis, I'm not sure that there is any point in season-long bets! I can see that betting on individual matches could add excitement - and offer bigger payouts with accumulators - but it seems better to keep money in my own pocket for long term bets.

Unless, of course I am certain about the outcome of the season! Actually ... some people have posted that they are certain, so they should definitely bet their house, and the shirt on their back, and quadruple their money! 300% interest!

yes, thats just about it. By laying a bet you are saying that an outcome will not happen...i.e Derby wont get relegated. You can do this on the exchanges (Betfair, Smarkets, Matchbook, Betdaq). It can be a risky strategy because of the liability you have to pay out, should your lay bet fail.

7 minutes ago, wingfieldram said:

yes, thats just about it. By laying a bet you are saying that an outcome will not happen...i.e Derby wont get relegated. You can do this on the exchanges (Betfair, Smarkets, Matchbook, Betdaq). It can be a risky strategy because of the liability you have to pay out, should your lay bet fail.

Do you have to pay in advance, or just promise to pay?