EFL Verdict

DCFC90

21 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I completely agree that the way they went about it is totally wrong and the whole thing from their end stinks. Who knows if they put pressure on the IDC but either way they should have agreed a joint statement with the club before anything was said. I dont understand why the IDC would announce their decision at such a late time either.

My point was though that the so called interchangable fixtures were decided before the IDC decision so would have been announced on fixture day anyway, but because of the poor timing of the IDCs decision it led to a poor timing of their own statement which was poor.

The chances are the interchangeable fixtures arent necessary but they will be if the EFL had got what they wanted or if they do get it on appeal. What the process behind it actually involved I dont know as like someone mentioned previously there is no reason us & Wycombe couldnt have just changed fixtures anyway, dont know if there would be too much conflict of local games for policing etc.

Unless I've read it wrong - and that wouldn't be the first time - the interchangeable fixture list is nothing complicated: if Wycombe stay in the Championship then they take over our fixture list and we take over theirs; ditto the pizza cup fixtures.

If that is correct then there is absolutely no need to make any comment before the release of the fixtures, and definitely no need to make it late at night and without any discussion with the most interested party (it would be interesting to know if they forewarned Wycombe who have been silent on that so far as I can see). To have done so in so cackhanded a way is incompetent at best and they have ignored the impact on more than one club in doing so.

As such I don't believe that the IDC decision in itself was poorly timed by the IDC.  I suspect it was rushed under pressure from the EFL which may well be one reason why we haven't yet had the reasons for the decision.  The IDC would not have been bothered about the fixture list announcement (nothing to do with them or what they were doing) and they certainly wouldn't have been informing the EFL of their decision at midnight.  It was the EFL's decision only to release their incomplete statement at a late hour and by doing so have set all kinds of hares running that they had no need to do.

They're incompetent wasters

9 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Unless I've read it wrong - and that wouldn't be the first time - the interchangeable fixture list is nothing complicated: if Wycombe stay in the Championship then they take over our fixture list and we take over theirs; ditto the pizza cup fixtures.

If that is correct then there is absolutely no need to make any comment before the release of the fixtures, and definitely no need to make it late at night and without any discussion with the most interested party (it would be interesting to know if they forewarned Wycombe who have been silent on that so far as I can see). To have done so in so cackhanded a way is incompetent at best and they have ignored the impact on more than one club in doing so.

As such I don't believe that the IDC decision in itself was poorly timed by the IDC.  I suspect it was rushed under pressure from the EFL which may well be one reason why we haven't yet had the reasons for the decision.  The IDC would not have been bothered about the fixture list announcement (nothing to do with them or what they were doing) and they certainly wouldn't have been informing the EFL of their decision at midnight.  It was the EFL's decision only to release their incomplete statement at a late hour and by doing so have set all kinds of hares running that they had no need to do.

They're incompetent wasters

I said at the time the LAC found the appeal in the EFL's favour that the original IDC would be pretty pissed off that their professional judgement was called into question by a strongly EFL influenced LAC.

They will have known full well about the possible timing issues but have probably been in no hurry to be helpful to the EFL's timetable. 

Good on them!

12 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

According to a post I read on OTIB (the Bristol City forum) they can do exactly that. Rule 28:2 I believe it was quoted.

They have a thread dedicated to our trials and tribulations. A couple of people on there are quite enthusiastic about our downfall, one in particular.

Check it out if you ever have trouble sleeping. ?

I think it’s very unlikely they’d postpone the start of the season for us and Wycombe especially given how long any subsequent appeal(s) would take. Also, rule 28.2 says they can after “consultation with and consideration for the clubs involved”. So, not only would they need to “consult” with Derby (that could be fun) and Wycombe but also our respective opponents in those games. It wouldn’t take many games before a load of other teams get impacted by the mess. That’s another reason why I don’t think the EFL will appeal.

Let’s imagine the EFL take another week to make their mind up to appeal. Then the DC pull out all the stops and make a judgement after just four weeks. I imagine Derby would have at least a week to appeal the new penalty and the DC take another 3 weeks to hear our counter appeal. We’re now getting towards the end of August by which time we should have played 5 league games.

I don’t know what rights of appeal Derby would have but, if an EFL went against us, I can’t imagine that would be the end of the matter.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it’s very unlikely they’d postpone the start of the season for us and Wycombe especially given how long any subsequent appeal(s) would take. Also, rule 28.2 says they can after “consultation with and consideration for the clubs involved”. So, not only would they need to “consult” with Derby (that could be fun) and Wycombe but also our respective opponents in those games. It wouldn’t take many games before a load of other teams get impacted by the mess. That’s another reason why I don’t think the EFL will appeal.

Let’s imagine the EFL take another week to make their mind up to appeal. Then the DC pull out all the stops and make a judgement after just four weeks. I imagine Derby would have at least a week to appeal the new penalty and the DC take another 3 weeks to hear our counter appeal. We’re now getting towards the end of August by which time we should have played 5 league games.

I don’t know what rights of appeal Derby would have but, if an EFL went against us, I can’t imagine that would be the end of the matter.

And let’s remember that football clubs up and down the country will still be having to test their players regularly and clubs like Rotherham will still have a whole squad self isolating and fixtures will be cancelled at short notice and that will again mess up the whole league system.

obvious exception for Scottish players who don’t go near anyone else in positive infection cases ?

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Clutching at straws but for the good of the game, maybe the EFL have privately agreed that whatever punishment the DC set they will just accept it - no appeal ??

I think those straws are made from chocolate and are stirring the boardrooms pot of tea 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think those straws are made from chocolate and are stirring the boardrooms pot of tea 

True. But every now and then I wonder that too. There must be someone with brains in the EFL? They've got the fine for the accounting 'technicality' and they have us resubmitting - which will surely then show 'everyone' whether we played by the rules (as they were then, inc. selling the stadium and correctly accounting for it, being allowed)?!

Edited by RoyMac5

If we ignore the noise and just look at the facts...

Our punishment for a very limited aspect of the original charges that the EFL raised is a fine of £100,000.

If it weren't for the snidey EFL suggestion that our fixtures are interchangeable with Wycombe's, coupled with the incoherent ramblings of the Wycombe owner & the usual clickbait headlines, then we would be seeing this as a bit of a win.

Ignore the noise.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

True. But every now and then I wonder that too. There must be someone with brains in the EFL? They've got the fine for the accounting 'technicality' and they have us resubmitting - which will surely then show 'everyone' whether we played by the rules (as they were then, inc. selling the stadium and correctly accounting for it, being allowed)?!

It is so clearly a defence that I have to doubt it because it wasn’t used.  Go back to the beginning, the answer to the charges should have been, well here are are summaries restated in the way you expect and hey presto they comply.  If that is the case Mel and Pearce should be ducking hung and quartered for not doing something to end the torture.  This is why I believe we will/must have breached the rules

53 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Clutching at straws but for the good of the game, maybe the EFL have privately agreed that whatever punishment the DC set they will just accept it - no appeal ??

That would be the sensible thing to do.... So no, won't happen ?

27 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Also, if we have to submit revised accounts then surely it is permissible for us now to use the top end valuation of the stadium (£83m was it?) rather than the £80m we used in the original accounts ?

I guess the summaries must relate to the facts as they were at the time

Whatever happens with the EFL I for one I'm dreading next season if by chance were still in the championship then it will only be for one season because with the squad we have now we are going to be the whipping boys and league 1 will soon become a reality. I really think this as become the lowest of the clubs history. 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

It is so clearly a defence that I have to doubt it because it wasn’t used.  Go back to the beginning, the answer to the charges should have been, well here are are summaries restated in the way you expect and hey presto they comply.  If that is the case Mel and Pearce should be ducking hung and quartered for not doing something to end the torture.  This is why I believe we will/must have breached the rules

I don't believe we breached the rules. We did what (good) accountants always do, we stretched them as far as we could. I hope we're still in P&S bounds after the sale of the stadium, that would be the cherry on the EFLs cake!

3 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Whatever happens with the EFL I for one I'm dreading next season if by chance were still in the championship then it will only be for one season because with the squad we have now we are going to be the whipping boys and league 1 will soon become a reality. I really think this as become the lowest of the clubs history. 

How can you possibly know this before a ball has even been kicked and the transfer window has closed?

As for lowest point, of course it isn't.