GB news

Archied

20 hours ago, maxjam said:

I don't care about the ethnic make up of the panel, more their ideologies.  From the article;

The academics were Professor Priya Gopal – who chaired the discussion – Professor Kehinde Andrews, Dr Madhusree Mukerjee and Dr Onyeka Nubia.

Dr Onyeka Nubia, a renowned historian of Black History, discussed how Churchill was influenced by “ideas of white supremacy” and “eugenics”. He went on to discuss quotes attributed to Churchill, including: “The Aryan stock is bound to triumph”.

Dr Madhusree Mukerjee, author of ‘Churchill’s Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II’, discussed the Bengal famine of 1943 and its “connection” to “Churchill’s white supremacy”, in particular his reference to Indians as “rabbits”.

Professor of Black Studies at Birmingham City University, Kehinde Andrews, argued that Churchill was “the perfect embodiment of white supremacy” and has “a mythic status” because “white supremacy is still the politics of the day”.

Not much balance there for any kind of debate...

Not just ethnicity though. When a pannel is put together it's always Dr this Professor that. In the interest of balance there should be basic Baz (bit of a thicko) to ask the dum questions/doesnt give a carp

I wondered why this thread on a news channel that I hadn't heard of was still going so strong... 

Then I read back a few pages and I realised this is the new 'politics thread disguised as something else' thread. 

Phew. I can stop reading it now. 

PS I'd try and not be so blatant guys cos if even I noticed surely the mods will soon. Maybe get posting on to the 'things I hate but shouldn't thread' to keep this off the top, looks suspicious otherwise. 

Edited by Chester40

33 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I wondered why this thread on a news channel that I hadn't heard of was still going so strong... 

Then I read back a few pages and I realised this is the new 'politics thread disguised as something else' thread. 

Phew. I can stop reading it now. 

PS I'd try and not be so blatant guys cos if even I noticed surely the mods will soon. Maybe get posting on to the 'things I hate but shouldn't thread' to keep this off the top, looks suspicious otherwise. 

50171FB4-3ACA-46A3-8A0E-B388FDD8EBA9.png

23 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

A fantastic new addition to the editorial team.

His contract is 100k per show, but they are only going to pay him £10 a go. Only purists would think his contracted amount is actually what he should get paid.

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

His contract is 100k per show, but they are only going to pay him £10 a go. Only purists would think his contracted amount is actually what he should get paid.

Retail price of farmyard manure is approximately £100 per tonne.

I would be perfectly happy for him to be paid the full amount of a thousand tonnes of prime cowmuck to be dropped on him every day.

On 18/06/2021 at 11:50, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That's the thing isn't it.

Churchill's actions played a significant part in stopping the Nazis. But he also said (and signed off) some horrific things, even for the standards of the time.

But because the Churchill diehards have this perception that anyone who explores the complexities of his character are loony snowflakes who want to piss all over his statue, the debate always gets shut down. Just watch Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain whenever the subject is raised. The anti-snowflake brigade are absolutely petrified of anyone who dares to say anything bad about their hero, even if it's a direct quote from Churchill himself.

No doubt the more extreme voices of 'the left' have contributed to this, but their voices have been disproportionately amplified by news organisations that know reporting on a ridiculous 'snowflakey' opinion will generate clicks. And that's how this 'culture war' crap started.

Digging up the past to divide people of today no thanks

3 hours ago, cstand said:

Digging up the past to divide people of today no thanks

It was actions in the past that divided the country, and no amount of "You lost, get over it" will glue it back together - basically because we all lost.

Unfortunately, the "winners" still can't - and won't - see that.

Genuine question here, and I would appreciate someone taking the time to respond in detail.

Can someone point me to some evidence about the BBC's misgivings and bias? No evidence as opinion pieces please, but some data or evidence or research to prove of their right or left bias.

I got some from @maxjam earlier in the thread, thank you for that. Just need a bit more to get my head round it. I've never come viewed their content as one-sided or partial or partisan.

I’ve had a look at this channel 3 or 4 times at different programmes and  I couldn’t help thinking if, say, Kilburn had it’s own news channel it would be similar to GB News presentation - wise. I thought it was pretty amateurish, low budget tripe.

And this obsession with calling shows by a presenters surname seemingly thinking it lends more gravitas to the content...it doesn’t. 

A two bob channel that I won’t be watching again any time soon.

I know this will come as a surprise to many outside observers, but this thread has descended into politics-thread style chaos. 

Absolutely fine to discuss GB News and its news output, but arguing about history is in fact the very opposite of news.

Hope we don't have to lock this...

Edited by Duracell

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

I know this will come as a surprise to many outside observers, but this thread has descended into politics-thread style chaos. 

Absolutely fine to discuss GB News and its news output, but arguing about history is in fact the very opposite of news.

Then do something about it. Don't let posters get away with it. 

Instead of selectively removing posts, how about get rid of the offending post in the first place. Because they are still up, yet perfectly valid responses are taken down.

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

What about if GB news launches a history channel? What do we do then?!