Excuses

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Plumber meant to be installing new bathroom recently texted me saying that he couldn't do the work in a months time as he just found out that his sister was getting married in Hawaii. 

That's takes some beating.

Update - had arranged for another plumber to come and do the work tomorrow, have got a the bathroom suite in ready, texts me this evening to say that his plasterer has double booked and the person doing the tiling has hurt his ankle. But he thinks he can do the tiling himself. 

So after a series of increasingly angry texts I asked if he didn't have a plasterer and the tiles don't come off easily from the wall whose going to fill the holes in as need to use the shower and bath in the time being?

Then he said he wasn't going to do the work as it seems like a massive issue for me.

Very angry. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Update - had arranged for another plumber to come and do the work tomorrow, have got a the bathroom suite in ready, texts me this evening to say that his plasterer has double booked and the person doing the tiling has hurt his ankle. But he thinks he can do the tiling himself. 

So after a series of increasingly angry texts I asked if he didn't have a plasterer and the tiles don't come off easily from the wall whose going to fill the holes in as need to use the shower and bath in the time being?

Then he said he wasn't going to do the work as it seems like a massive issue for me.

Very angry. 

Nothing about that surprises me. I always hate dealing with people in allied trades.

It always seems ok to let you down by not turning up, or taking twice aslong to do a job. Add in the obligatory 'boss..we have a problem ' that adds money to the original quote. 

Just now, MrPlinkett said:

Nothing about that surprises me. I always hate dealing with people in allied trades.

It always seems ok to let you down by not turning up, or taking twice aslong to do a job. Add in the obligatory 'boss..we have a problem ' that adds money to the original quote. 

What hissed me off was that after it became apparent he was going to postpone the job or start the work on my head knowing that if the tiles pulled the plaster off he wouldn't be able to repair them and so I would be indefinitely out of use of the bath and shower I then said that really it wasn't my concern that the plasterer had let him down as I still expected the work to be completed.

And that it was totally unacceptable that I had made arrangements for next week and he was texting me at 6 the night before. And expected the work to be done as agreed. Then he said well if that's you're attitude then won't do the work. 

I bought all of the bathroom today at lunchtime to avoid being stuck with it in my house, couldn't have left it any later, am really irate.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What hissed me off was that after it became apparent he was going to postpone the job or start the work on my head knowing that if the tiles pulled the plaster off he wouldn't be able to repair them and so I would be indefinitely out of use of the bath and shower I then said that really it wasn't my concern that the plasterer had let him down as I still expected the work to be completed.

And that it was totally unacceptable that I had made arrangements for next week and he was texting me at 6 the night before. And expected the work to be done as agreed. Then he said well if that's you're attitude then won't do the work. 

I bought all of the bathroom today at lunchtime to avoid being stuck with it in my house, couldn't have left it any later, am really irate.

Totally agree,  I'd be livid too.

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to do it and is trying to turn it round on you.

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What a Bamford......him not you. I'd rearrange with him for a later date and then not answer the door when he eventually traps. See how you like it knob jockey.

Edited by Steve How Hard?

38 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I’ve had plenty of that from my guy. 

‘all sorted now, we’ll be in next Wednesday to finish off.’

‘I’m not in next wednesday’

’oh, so it’ll have to be 3 weeks next Thursday then.’

’okay, I can make sure I’m not working that day.’

the day before,

’so, what time can we expect the electrician tomorrow.’

’just checked the parts, turns out we’ve got the wrong one, I’ll sort it mate.’

’okay, so you’re not coming tomorrow then.’

’no, I’ll sort it, and let you know when we can come.’

and round and round it goes…

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

perhaps he was a Derby fan mate and was annoyed by your posts???

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

the day before,

He texted me the details of someone else he's contacted who allegedly can do the job this next week. Which fills me with great trepidation as if they are as unreliable as him then it's the same again.

Why can't people just be honest which is really annoying, I left buying the bathroom suite until today to avoid this happening as am ultra cautious but still ended up getting my fingers burnt.

He would have known long before this that his plasterer was allegedly busy and his tiler hurting his ankle just reeks of bs. And then he gets the hump when I start getting heavy with him and saying I don't want a bathroom I can't use for the next x weeks cos you don't have a plasterer to fill in any holes but you are ok to change the suite anyway and leave it half done. Beggars belief. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

the day before,

I'd recommend using the relevant websites to find suitable contractors - there's a good few of them. By the same token, I'd make sure that anyone letting me down knows that they'd be getting a choice review or 10 as a consequence. You'd be amazed how quickly twisted ankles can heal ?

https://www.ratedpeople.com/?variation=att-212

https://www.trustatrader.com/

15 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'd recommend using the relevant websites to find suitable contractors - there's a good few of them. By the same token, I'd make sure that anyone letting me down knows that they'd be getting a choice review or 10 as a consequence. You'd be amazed how quickly twisted ankles can heal ?

https://www.ratedpeople.com/?variation=att-212

https://www.trustatrader.com/

Those websites are unreliable in my experience, most reviews are unverified, you can even review yourself if you wanted.  If you want a tradesmen ask friends for recommendations or if you have any other tradesmen work regularly at your house ask them, they won’t put you in touch with a bad one as it looks bad on them.

22 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Those websites are unreliable in my experience, most reviews are unverified, you can even review yourself if you wanted.  If you want a tradesmen ask friends for recommendations or if you have any other tradesmen work regularly at your house ask them, they won’t put you in touch with a bad one as it looks bad on them.

This. I know it sounds clichéd but a tradesperson is only as good as their last job. It's obvious that with the pandemic then tradespersons are over egging the pudding to a greater degree then that they did before if that's possible, by stacking their order book and then if things run over or if they get a more lucrative contract in meantime then they bail on you, inevitably at last minute or with a prolonged hiatus between the work starting and it's completion.

I've heard enough excuses now to last me a lifetime, I just want people to be honest, some are, some just insult your intelligence which makes it even more irritating.

I've always conducted myself professionally with the ethos that if you've committed to doing something then you do it and you don't let your customer down. Obviously tradespeople live by another alternate set of edicts. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

On 06/06/2021 at 08:55, MrPlinkett said:

Had a new kitchen installed a few years ago, wont say which company but was beset by problems throughout.

The doors are the gloss ones, so the fitter puts them all on, looking good, only i notice that he has placed one of the handles slightly out of alignment with the rest. Hes mumbling about it only being a few mm, but its not level ive paid a lot of money i want it right.

So we have to get two new doors ordered for the particular cupboard. A few weeks later they arrive, fitted, yes...the handles now are in the right place, but hang on a minute....the finish is like a fine orange peel effect where the other doors are perfectly smooth.

Contact head office...the excuse is they are from a different batch, i say but surely they can be smooth like the rest, 'oh you must have got a really good batch the first time',  obviously i dont stand for this and eventually they agree to order two new doors.

They arrive, same again, same excuses with a 'little we can do'. I am not happy and the next lot that arrive do eventually sort the issue.

All seems ok until a few months down the line...we have a leak from the sink, and notice its started to crack along the bottom.

Back on the head office....got a crack in the sink, its leaking. Response 'Have you been putting anything hot down the sink?' - 'Yes of course I have' i reply, they say 'That sounds like its it', I reply with 'thats crazy of course we are going to empty hot water from pans etc down the sink'. This goes on, obviously im not having that i cant drain vegetable water etc down the sink.

We end up with two reps from BEKO out who take one look and suggest that the crack is from being fitted incorrectly, when i mention the hot water the reply is along the lines of 'what a load of .........'.

And this is why you employ @Boycie , get it done right.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

This. I know it sounds clichéd but a tradesperson is only as good as their last job. It's obvious that with the pandemic then tradespersons are over egging the pudding to a greater degree then that they did before if that's possible, by stacking their order book and then if things run over or if they get a more lucrative contract in meantime then they bail on you, inevitably at last minute or with a prolonged hiatus between the work starting and it's completion.

I've heard enough excuses now to last me a lifetime, I just want people to be honest, some are, some just insult your intelligence which makes it even more irritating.

I've always conducted myself professionally with the ethos that if you've committed to doing something then you do it and you don't let your customer down. Obviously tradespeople live by another alternate set of edicts. 

You've probably dodged a bullet there mate. Any plumber worth his salt should be able to patch plaster and tile when fitting a bathroom.

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

You've probably dodged a bullet there mate. Any plumber worth his salt should be able to patch plaster and tile when fitting a bathroom.

Tbf the guy was just fill of excuses he said he was going to patch plaster and tile himself but then if there were issues then he wouldn't be able to sort them. Given that he'd already cancelled once I wasn't very happy about him starting the job and changing the bathroom suite then leaving it until he did have a plasterer available. And if he could have done the tiling then why did he not suggest this from the start instead of saying he was going to use someone to do it. 

I said I wanted the job done in one go as we agreed which he then got the arse with.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

I wouldn't, 10 minute jobs end up taking 2 hours. 

As legal representative of Mr @Boycie I am most concerned that this may be a false statement that is damaging to my client’s reputation. I seek full disclosure of the facts forthwith, the absence of which will only further support my view that my client has been defamed, and is entitled to financial recompense.

Trades getting a hammering here! 

Build your own poo! 

Just kidding. It's often a juggling act for trades too trying to please everyone. I don't think many mean to let you down but its natural to try and keep all the plates spinning. But they should be honest and let you know they've got in a mess rather than try and keep you hanging.