Rooney, manager, mid-term report

IslandExile

Firstly, this is not a Rooney out thread. Also, I really do think the squad, as a whole, is as poor as it's been for a very long time.

However, we had all the criticism for Cocu's tactics. So, without reopening that debate, I think it's right to now discuss Rooney's approach.

Cocu was criticized for focusing on the opposition. Rooney openly admits it: "we set up to play Barnsley at their own game".

Cocu was criticized for the sideways passing. Now, we're mixing it up. Not only do we pass it sideways, we now also hoof it high, albeit, in a roughly forward direction.

There's another thread on here criticising the one creative player that we have in the team, Jozwiak.

I said on that thread, Jozwiak, as our only threat, gets surrounded by defenders. Of course he cannot create much in those circumstances.

Who would have thought England's greatest goalscorer would be so negative in his tactics?

Watson, Sibley and Roberts only put in late sub cameos. If they were all on the pitch at the same time as Jozwiak and Lawrence, when fit, it would give each of them more space, more freedom. Consequently, they would create more chances.

So, Rooney won me over with his interviews. I liked the cut off his jib. I was one of the first to advocate he be given the job.

I was very set against the unimaginative, journeymen.

But, as I have said many times previously, a major factor in the initial bounce following Rooney's appointment was because Bielik and Kazim-Richards were finally fit to play. Now that Bielik is injured once more we're really struggling again.

Cocu, Rooney, any manager would struggle because the squad is so poor. So I am reluctant to call for a change of manager.....just yet.

But I am really unhappy with the negative choice of tactics.

Sure, you can't lose matches if you keep a clean sheet. But, equally, you cannot win matches if you do not create - and take - chances. Right now, were not doing either.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't really want him in the first place to be honest and talking a good fight means nothing to me,it's the performance and results that count.

Having said that,he seemed to inject some belief and steel into the side initially but it's seems to have dropped away after the new manager bounce.

We have to get behind him tho as we'd have no other choice,it is what it is and we have to hope he can get us back on track and keep us up.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I didn't really want him in the first place to be honest and talking a good fight means nothing to me,it's the performance and results that count.

Having said that,he seemed to inject some belief and steel into the side initially but it's seems to have dropped away after the new manager bounce.

We have to get behind him tho as we'd have no other choice,it is what it is and we have to hopes he can get us back on track and keep us up.

It’ll be ok when Bielik returns to save us and Rooney 

He was dealt a very difficult hand and came in to a job that is very challenging. We are a very poor side. He has stopped us leaking goals but I think he is overly cautious, more concerned with stopping the opposition than being creative ourselves. Perhaps he just aims to keep us up and then we will see what he can do. The jury’s out for me...

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We have to get behind him tho as we'd have no other choice,it is what it is and we have to hopes he can get us back on track and keep us up.

It was a Bielik return bounce.

The initial games under Rooney were bang average. Not until Bielik came back did we look ok.

Since he got injured we've reverted to type. I can't see what Rooney has brought.

I’m worried that we signed five players and regressed pretty dramatically.

Didn’t want him as manager, but had to concede that he’d done well.

Im now concerned that this was a mixture of new manager bounce, mixing things up, Beilik and CKR being available.

Things are now very flat and we seem to be set up too defensively from the off in most games. We also focus too much on nullifying the opposition- case in point Barnsley.

That said we need to stick with him and hope he pulls through, I think the squad are poor and letting him down but he’s making some pretty fundamental mistakes as well. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He was dealt a very difficult hand and came in to a job that is very challenging. We are a very poor side. He has stopped us leaking goals but I think he is overly cautious, more concerned with stopping the opposition than being creative ourselves. Perhaps he just aims to keep us up and then we will see what he can do. The jury’s out for me...

I don't really think he has. We've still had a few tonkings. We also set up with 7-8 defensive outfield players so have sacrificed virtually all threat. 

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

I’m worried that we signed five players and regressed pretty dramatically.

Yes, none of which are much of an improvement over what we already had. Sure, more selection options - but only in personnel, not in player type or ability.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I don't really think he has. We've still had a few tonkings. We also set up with 7-8 defensive outfield players so have sacrificed virtually all threat. 

He has, particularly at home but we are not creating or scoring enough goals ourselves..

There was a period where we were playing good football and never looked like conceding a goal. I was enjoying it. Then Bielik got injured.

We still managed to pick up a few wins and looked solid but the last few games we really have nosedived. So poor. Can't create anything, never really look like scoring. Clean sheets have dried up.

I think it started to go wrong when we went away from the settled side in the 433 formation. I understand that players need a rest but we're just chopping and changing every game now and nothing is working. Get back to what we were doing before Rooney.

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

he seemed to inject some belief and steel into the side initially but it's seems to have dropped away after the new manager bounce.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think this is it. The worst thing is, you'd expect to see a gradual improvement after each game and a more consistent starting XI and tactics but it's the opposite. Was Bielik's return the real reason we had an upturn? To be fair to him, he hasn't been able to bring in any players or staff he wants. I know the squad is bad, but I still think we have enough quality to play at least some football, our squad is at least the same quality as Millwall. Compared to Cocu he has improved the defence but the attack is still just as bad. If he keeps us up I would still regard that as a good job. I still think McClaren would have been a better appointment.

Started well, but appears to have taken on the negative aspects of his predecessor. Clearly has talent but must become more delivery focused.

He's on C at the moment but how he applies himself in the next few weeks will determine if he remains here at St Melvyn's Finishing school for aspiring football managers. The school has standards and traditions, a certain way, if you like.

I attach an invoice for fees, administration fee, discretionary donation to school funds (which doesn't affect the boys grade *totally does*).

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He has, particularly at home but we are not creating or scoring enough goals ourselves..

Flattered by getting some clean sheets early on. More recent matches we've shipped a 4 and a 3. Early season we shipped 4 at home once but weren't getting pummelled away. 

Overall? Pretty similar but we're getting worse again rather than improving. Our defensive purple patch was a while ago. 

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Flattered by getting some clean sheets early on. More recent matches we've shipped a 4 and a 3. Early season we shipped 4 at home once but weren't getting pummelled away. 

Overall? Pretty similar but we're getting worse again rather than improving. Our defensive purple patch was a while ago. 

We have let in 5 goals in 10 games at home I think...but, yes, just totally lack a cutting edge and any creativity...

Didnt value his post-match words today as much as usual. Bit petulant. Strange also picking on Sibley when he had so few match minutes compared to other forward players who were nowhere near hitting the cross-bar all match. I am biased to Louie though ( and no I'm not his mum). Problem is the matches are so frequent that there isnt time to try and work on what is going wrong in between I get that but the team choices and seemed focus on playing to other teams strengths rather than just playing our own game is backfiring especially as it means lots if team changes between matches

I'm sick of us being a club for ex players to get their managerial training wheels sorted quite honestly. I was vigorously against the appointment from the beginning. It smacked me as being arrogant to believe we could appoint a total rookie and get out of the position we were in and I still have no real confidence in Rooney's managerial ability. If i took over the club and was looking to put in serious funds that we all hope happens with a new owner I would find a replacement for him asap. 

48 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think this is it. The worst thing is, you'd expect to see a gradual improvement after each game and a more consistent starting XI and tactics but it's the opposite. Was Bielik's return the real reason we had an upturn? To be fair to him, he hasn't been able to bring in any players or staff he wants. I know the squad is bad, but I still think we have enough quality to play at least some football, our squad is at least the same quality as Millwall. Compared to Cocu he has improved the defence but the attack is still just as bad. If he keeps us up I would still regard that as a good job. I still think McClaren would have been a better appointment.

what were the January signings then? 

Archived