Rooney, manager, mid-term report

IslandExile

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think this is it. The worst thing is, you'd expect to see a gradual improvement after each game and a more consistent starting XI and tactics but it's the opposite. Was Bielik's return the real reason we had an upturn? To be fair to him, he hasn't been able to bring in any players or staff he wants. I know the squad is bad, but I still think we have enough quality to play at least some football, our squad is at least the same quality as Millwall. Compared to Cocu he has improved the defence but the attack is still just as bad. If he keeps us up I would still regard that as a good job. I still think McClaren would have been a better appointment.

agreed. 

would love to see McClaren coaching the players though. Honestly think he could get the best out of these players. 

All i want to see is some attacking football. I've been bored watching the style of play since Lampard left really. 

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wazza has to take loads of responsibility for the situation we’ve found ourself in. His last 10 performances in the team were woefull . (The manager never laid into him). He got the job he craved and brought his own players in. 

How quickly Rooney has fallen from grace

....... she’s not complaining

I actually think he has done as well as one could expect. The squad is so poor I reckon if we tried to play we'd get beat every week. So for me his tactics are about right, try and nullify the opposition and rely on us scrapping out a few wins or draws which is overall what he has done, peppered with a lot of losses too, such is our quality and lack of any sort of goal scoring threat or a prolific striker. The brief is to be the 21st worst team in the division at least, anything else is a bonus. I'd judge him next year if he has some money to spend. No money and I'd put money on us being relegated if we go into another campaign with this squad and a 36 year old CKR as our main goal threat.

We will probably stay up, but more because of other teams shortcomings than our own endeavours.

The summer is the important time. So much depends on a takeover, and the funds available to improve.

Wisdom, Waghorn and a few others are out of contract, if we can afford it we should let them go, btw what a poor indictment of the rules, and how we've operated within them that is!

Rooney's had little time or opportunity to bring in his type of players, but his sidelining of Sibley in particular rings a few alarm bells for me, at least.

This is a player we've had £4m bids for before he even made the 1st team, I'm led to believe. Less than Two years later and we're giving him 15 minutes to chase lost causes, then the managers calling him out for not making an impact, while praising other subs who aren't the long term future for little if any better.

If Rooney's really serious about being a manager, especially at this level, drop down from £50k a week to £10k, and get that £40k on the pitch.

All the facts point to Beilik, simple. He was the quality, he was the vision, he was the one to drive us forward, the one capable of following the managers instructions. If he had not done his knee the first time Cocu would still be in a job.

Our team needs him like a body needs a brain. We have the heart but just not the nowse. Beilik brought that and it cost £10m. We just can’t replace him and we are suffering.

There’s nothing Rooney or anyone can do about it. 

Most clubs around us don’t have a Beilik which is why they have set up to play non football which, without Beilik we can’t break down. 

Rooney has spent some time trying to figure out how to win with the players we have available without much success. It proved impossible for the Dutch league winning Cocu. An inexperienced manager like Rooney really has his work cut out.

A baptism of fire. Fortunately an empty stadium is saving him from the boo boys.

I'm pretty confident the job he's done is below par really and he gets cut slack mostly off the back of where we were when he took over and his name. 

The start of the season  was bad but for the most part we were losing games by the odd goal without a deal between the sides in the games and we weren't really getting the rub of green going for us with several key moments going against us. (Not arguing we should have kept Cocu going). I'd have genuinely expected any incoming manager with the players we had coming back from injury to guide us away from the drop. 

It's not so much the results though; it's the negativity, it's the trying to stop opponents at the cost of anything else, its the lack of anything close to a good performance (bar two games), its the reluctance to give the academy players a fair crack (or outright throwing them under the bus), it's the tactical inconsistency, it's the lack of solving the actual faults And it's the failing to react when a game drifts from us.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

He's done better than Cocu which to be fair wasn't hard. Enuff said.

But how much of that is down to have Bielik fit for a time, Wisdom fully fit, CKR fit and not have to account for a past it Rooney trundling about the pitch not doing a deal? 

He’s still in credit with me...just, he’s losing points (literally) with me by the week though.

I want to see us with an identity, and a positive one at that but you won’t get that adopting tactics to nullify the opposition every week.

The phrase flash in the pan crossed my mind earlier but I thought that might be harsh so I’ll just go with needs to up his, and the team’s game quick style, we are not nice to watch the majority of the time and you shouldn’t be saying that about your own team.

He did really well getting us out of the relegation zone and it looked like we were going to be ok quite comfortably, but we’ve slipped right back into trouble.

I said on another thread he spends too much time worrying about the opposition and sets the team up accordingly, and that’s becoming ever more apparent.

He’s learning but if I’m honest I’d put my trust in him more than I do our players, some of whom just don’t look up for either the fight or to the standards required. Rooney doesn’t send them out to hide, to play passes to the opposition, to refuse to shoot, to give the ball away in dangerous areas, to be safe instead of brave etc etc.

He’s also the victim of the financial catastrophe that those who run the club have put us in, not being able to bring quality in in January, instead just getting bodies in because we desperately needed some. No-one can seriously think two players who have never played at this level and two players who couldn’t get into teams we would consider to be of a similar standing were at the top of his list. 

He’s got plenty to learn no doubt, and like any manager I’d imagine he’d prefer to have his own coaching team around him, but he still has my support.

He's gone from a B to a C- in recent weeks. Negative tactics, unfathomable team selections, constantly playing key players out of position and publicly singling out players, whom he's starved of game time, for criticism. He should be sending Bielik half his monthly salary as without him, he'd never have got the gig. That much is becoming very clear. 

OP is very fair.

It feels like now Rooney has been the boss for a while he’s actually changed to a ‘try not to lose’ mentality instead of a fresh attacking mentality.

This has resulted in more defenders and battling midfielders rather than the creative midfielders being given to express themselves.

The football literally reminds me of Clough’s style.

12 minutes ago, rammieib said:

OP is very fair.

It feels like now Rooney has been the boss for a while he’s actually changed to a ‘try not to lose’ mentality instead of a fresh attacking mentality.

This has resulted in more defenders and battling midfielders rather than the creative midfielders being given to express themselves.

The football literally reminds me of Clough’s style.

Did Nigel have as many duck eggs in a row though can't recall that but my memory isn't the greatest. 

I don’t think Rooney will last another 12 months.

I think the problem he has is that what he demands from the team - hard work, organisation, intensity, solidity and so on - is the absolute minimum we as fans would expect.

That was fine when re-building confidence and setting the platform to see us clear of danger. The problem is we haven’t kicked on and we haven’t evolved in any way and don’t appear likely to, especially as the January signings have had minimal impact.

Derby fans, by and large, want to see and enjoy attacking and adventurous football, whereas Rooney seems to prioritise a far more attritional style, something which will only have limited success in this division.

Rooney has done some good and indeed gave us a shot in the arm in the short term, but the high has long since worn off and it’s becoming increasingly obvious that he is not a good long term fit.

Archived