Barnsley v Derby, Match Day Thread

ram59

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Must have been watching a different game to some on here. That was fookin grim. That said, we were value for a point and given how awful they were, maybe more.

All in all, a game that'll not live long in the memory. 

What game?

A weird one. I liked how direct we were in the second half, but we produced very few chances until late on.

I thought the back 3 were great. Mengi in particular after his last game where I didn't think he looked ready for first team football. I hope we can keep Edmundson after his loan, he looks to be just what we need at the back. I thought that Wisdom and Forsyth did OK, but we probably would've been a bigger threat with Byrne and Buchanan.

Midfield was bypassed mostly. Shinnie and Knight living off scraps.

Jozwiak was a pest, Gregory was perhaps on a little longer than needed and we could've done with a bit more pace in the front 3. CKR tried to link up play and come deep, but the high balls were hard to take, but he did create the great chance for Gregory.

Weird to be happy with a point at Oakwell, but we needed to reestablish our defensive solidity and I thought we did that tonight.

I would like to see 3-4-3 again, but perhaps focussed on playing on the deck and more speed in the front 3.

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I don't remember us ever really playing well under Cocu. It was just boring, slow, keep ball.

Last home game fans attended, 3-0 vs Blackburn? We played some good stuff under Cocu at times when we decided to quicken the pace, just didnt do it enough.

12 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Barnsley vs Birmingham match had 99 aerial duels. It's quite telling...

Also, I think any pass under 60 yards is counted as a short pass for them. It's a huge shame such tactic wins games. I'd rather be volleyball's net than midfielder in this game.

Therefore, I'd go with 5-3-2 and leave Byrne on the bench.

Spot on Rooney, I'm starting to trust you now.

Game to forget really, but IMO we played how should've.

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Last home game fans attended, 3-0 vs Blackburn? We played some good stuff under Cocu at times when we decided to quicken the pace, just didnt do it enough.

yep one of the few games we actually played decent. Weren't many others though.

Awful game, could of and should of won it. Gregory must score with his chance, I’m sure if he shot John Lennon he’d of killed yoko Ono. Shinnie unlucky with his effort. Ref and Lino were a bit dubious, I’m sure their keeper was about 2 yards outside the box when he caught it. I’d have taken a point before it, so happy days apart from paying £10 for that poo. 

Possibly the worst match of football in the history of the game, but I’ll take the point away from home against a side as in form as Barnsley, especially considering the conditions and how good they are at pressing, which has notoriously been our Achilles heel.

Think it was probably a fair result on the balance of play, but to be honest I thought our performance was actually pretty good, in terms of achieving what we set out to do. We negated their press by going long rather than playing out the back, and second half especially we managed to carve out some decent opportunities by getting in behind them. Obviously still can’t seem to score mind, but the creativity was a bit better than the first half. Energy, desire and fight were all much better than recent games as well, which is why we were able to compete better, so that’s an improvement. Quality on the ball is still absolutely shocking mind, considering these lot are professional footballers, but at least we got the clean sheet so hopefully that will stop the rot.

Overall a terrible watch, but somewhat less painful than the last couple of games. Need to use this as a foundation now though to significantly improve performances and start getting those all important wins. That needs to start Saturday, it’s a must win for me.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

I was bored shitless. Wasn’t bothered who won.?‍♂️

I probably wouldn't go that far but I'm not far away. Felt numb watching it. 

What's more annoying is Rooney will get plaudits for his tactics when it was fairly clear that if he'd have not obsessed so much with what they were doing they were that to be got at. 

That or been braver to make changes earlier when it was clear that they'd run of steam after an hour.

Archived