Barnsley v Derby, Match Day Thread

ram59

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

You must be fun to sit next to.

Plenty on here are desperate to get back the match day experience, regardless of the quality of the game.

You're a waste of a ticket.

As long as I’m not sat next to a numpty happy clapper like you.

54 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'd agree with most of that other than about Mengi who I thought made a string of mistakes throughout the game that were lucky to not get punished.

I didn't get to watch the game so I'm confused...some are saying Mengi had a great game..others that he made a string of mistakes...can someone please put me right...which is correct?

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...but to be fair your point was about them being a top 6 side so I didn’t miss the point. Strong wind, sludgy pitch, so difficult in any case for cultured football. And whatever you think of Hughes, I don’t think his theories have been widely discredited. I don’t advocate them but they are effective. 

Did Clough & Mackay use that excuse at the Baseball Ground when the wind picked up a bit?

As for Hughes, he was a long time technical director at the FA - a quick reminder that England not reached a tournament final for 55 years & English players were widely derided until recently for a lack of technical ability, a direct result of the methodology Hughes espoused. If your barometer for effectiveness is simply proficiency at second tier arm wrestles then yeah, clearly quite effective.

I thought it was a good 2nd half performance bit unlucky not to win it. Main worry is a lack of goals if we can address that we climb the table and give younger players more of chance to express themselves on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Did Clough & Mackay use that excuse at the Baseball Ground when the wind picked up a bit?

As for Hughes, he was a long time technical director at the FA - a quick reminder that England not reached a tournament final for 55 years & English players were widely derided until recently for a lack of technical ability, a direct result of the methodology Hughes espoused. If your barometer for effectiveness is simply proficiency at second tier arm wrestles then yeah, clearly quite effective.

I don’t recall England adopting Hughes’s philosophy at International level. England’s failure at tournaments cannot be levelled at that. When Hughes was in his heyday there were plenty of very talented footballers who were arguably better and more skilful than contemporary so-called England footballers. I’m talking about Wimbledon of the 1980’s beating Liverpool and being very successful. Similarly Graham Taylor’s Watford and Aston Villa. I myself am a bit of a football purist so your tone implying I’m an advocate is misplaced. After 45 years of playing, coaching  and watching football I’m acutely aware that there’s more than one way to play the game and berating one style over another is a question of preference rather than “right” or “wrong”. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

A good point based on form & position but I'm disappointed we couldn't edge that particularly with Gregory's chance & Shinnie's great effort.

To a certain extent Rooney got it spot on tactically. No space in midfield, terrible pitch & a high defensive line meant it made sense to go more direct & also to play 3 CBs to deal with their twin threat. I do think we missed a trick though in a) having someone in midfield able to drop in better quality balls into the vast space between their back line & GK (Bird) & b) having quicker forward players to latch onto that delivery instead of playing Kazim & Gregory. All too often there were just aimless balls that their keeper was dealing with easily (even if we take into account the windy conditions)

First half was a disgrace really - just a constant diet of hoofball from both teams with no discernible quality. Obviously people will point to us staying in the game but Barnselona hardly offered any threat. Second half, we started very slowly those first 10 mins, Roos pulled out an incredible stop & then we grew into it to such an extent I thought they were hanging on last 30 mins. We started to win more second balls, actually pick out some passes & get the ball into the box (mainly Forsyth). Shinnie also started to play more advanced - he had a very decent second half.

Good performances across the back 5 - particularly pleased for Mengi who was terrible against Cardiff but had a good match aside from a couple of late errors. Suspect he'll improve rapidly just like Tomori did. Also thought Roos was excellent all game - big booming kicks that turned them around, confident coming for the ball against their front line & an excellent stop to win us a point.

A quick word on Barnsley - its a damning indictment on this division that a side that absymal could have won 7 straight games prior to tonight. They looked identical to Wycombe or Rotherham - a bunch of automaton athletes with barely a shred of ability between them. Probably the worst 'top 6' side I've ever seen at this level.

Nailed it pal.

We set up to nullify them and counter the conditions, so hoofball it was 1st half. I’d have said slow first 5 mins 2nd half but otherwise we clearly unsettled them lacking only a bit more pinpoint precision, though I thought Gregory could have done more and maybe hit it first time from CKR’s pass; Shinier was just unlucky.

Thought Rooney got it spot on tonight after getting it so wrong against Cardiff. All we needed was a win against Coventry in this sequence and I’d have been more than happy with a point tonight.

7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Nailed it pal.

We set up to nullify them and counter the conditions, so hoofball it was 1st half. I’d have said slow first 5 mins 2nd half but otherwise we clearly unsettled them lacking only a bit more pinpoint precision, though I thought Gregory could have done more and maybe hit it first time from CKR’s pass; Shinier was just unlucky.

Thought Rooney got it spot on tonight after getting it so wrong against Cardiff. All we needed was a win against Coventry in this sequence and I’d have been more than happy with a point tonight.

Looking at three away games Cardiff was always going to be tough, but Rooney putting out a much changed side made it easy for them. Coventry for some unknown reason, we did'nt play anywhere as good or even half decent to what we were capable of doing. On current form, Barnsley was our toughest fixture and we came away with a point and judging by the 2nd half chances could have won. Now with 2 home games coming up, I would expect and also would be happy with 3 points (any more would be a bonus). 

1 hour ago, Patrick Rams said:

I didn't get to watch the game so I'm confused...some are saying Mengi had a great game..others that he made a string of mistakes...can someone please put me right...which is correct? 

I think like Tomori he makes mistakes but obviously has the technical ability and pace to get himself out of trouble. Much better showing than his last start. 

9 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

I think like Tomori he makes mistakes but obviously has the technical ability and pace to get himself out of trouble. Much better showing than his last start. 

He's definitely quick, got him out of trouble at least once.

Poor game yes, but conditions and pitch awful, great point, thought the 3 at the back worked well, Shinnie and Knight worked there balls off, we could and should have nicked it with Shinnie great effort, and Gregory missing a sitter, but if we show that effort and commitment over the next 11 games we shall be fine. 

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

Penalty against Mengi but only just. Excellent unexpected point. Jozwiack is surely better at falling over than CM but played well tonight. Colin should have been in the centre.

CM was a master of the dark art and won a free kicks more often than not. Jozwiack is still an apprentice in comparison ?

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I don’t recall England adopting Hughes’s philosophy at International level. England’s failure at tournaments cannot be levelled at that. When Hughes was in his heyday there were plenty of very talented footballers who were arguably better and more skilful than contemporary so-called England footballers. I’m talking about Wimbledon of the 1980’s beating Liverpool and being very successful. Similarly Graham Taylor’s Watford and Aston Villa. I myself am a bit of a football purist so your tone implying I’m an advocate is misplaced. After 45 years of playing, coaching  and watching football I’m acutely aware that there’s more than one way to play the game and berating one style over another is a question of preference rather than “right” or “wrong”. 

You've obviously forgotten Graham Taylor's reign from 1990 to 1994 which was exactly predicated on Hughes' philosophy. And whilst Robson, Venables etc tried to play better football, they were hampered by players with poorer technique than foreign players on account of poor youth coaching focused solely on 'getting the ball up to the big lad'...again courtesy of Hughes' coaching legacy.

Going back to Barnsley, there is no shame in being effective & direct...Stoke did it very well under Pulis in the Prem but what we saw last night was an inept version of that. Aimless hoofs to no-one in particular, misplaced passes, poor technique & delivery. Ive then questioned how on earth they won 7 straight based on last night's evidence. Not a style observation as you claim (right or wrong way) but a lack of quality observation.

49 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You've obviously forgotten Graham Taylor's reign from 1990 to 1994 which was exactly predicated on Hughes' philosophy. And whilst Robson, Venables etc tried to play better football, they were hampered by players with poorer technique than foreign players on account of poor youth coaching focused solely on 'getting the ball up to the big lad'...again courtesy of Hughes' coaching legacy.

Going back to Barnsley, there is no shame in being effective & direct...Stoke did it very well under Pulis in the Prem but what we saw last night was an inept version of that. Aimless hoofs to no-one in particular, misplaced passes, poor technique & delivery. Ive then questioned how on earth they won 7 straight based on last night's evidence. Not a style observation as you claim (right or wrong way) but a lack of quality observation.

You forgot the master. John Beck at Cambridge United hoof forward towards the corners. Win throw ins and corners and bombard the penalty area. Position of maximum opportunity I think was the term 

I’d like to point out that Mengi was written off as a duff purchase after two below par performances, one of which was not in his natural position.

Joining a new club is hard, especially when confidence may not be high. 

I’ve read lots of criticism of Lee Gregory. Yes he has missed chances, but he puts himself in the right positions to score like no other in the squad. He is an experienced striker and will score goals for us. Once he gets a couple under his belt we will be glad Wayne brought him in.

9 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

The majority who considered that Mengi played well are correct. The ‘string’ of mistakes just didn’t exist. I think someone is being ‘picky’ for whatever reason. 

Archived