Barnsley v Derby, Match Day Thread

ram59

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Possibly the worst match of football in the history of the game, but I’ll take the point away from home against a side as in form as Barnsley, especially considering the conditions and how good they are at pressing, which has notoriously been our Achilles heel.

Think it was probably a fair result on the balance of play, but to be honest I thought our performance was actually pretty good, in terms of achieving what we set out to do. We negated their press by going long rather than playing out the back, and second half especially we managed to carve out some decent opportunities by getting in behind them. Obviously still can’t seem to score mind, but the creativity was a bit better than the first half. Energy, desire and fight were all much better than recent games as well, which is why we were able to compete better, so that’s an improvement. Quality on the ball is still absolutely shocking mind, considering these lot are professional footballers, but at least we got the clean sheet so hopefully that will stop the rot.

Overall a terrible watch, but somewhat less painful than the last couple of games. Need to use this as a foundation now though to significantly improve performances and start getting those all important wins. That needs to start Saturday, it’s a must win for me.

We gave the ball away so.many times mainly by not looking where they were kicking it. Barnsley pick up a loose ball so many times. Barnsley fans must be ecstatic. I am sure that they are not bothered about the style of play. Barnsley may get promoted this season by beating so called better teams.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

A good point based on form & position but I'm disappointed we couldn't edge that particularly with Gregory's chance & Shinnie's great effort.

To a certain extent Rooney got it spot on tactically. No space in midfield, terrible pitch & a high defensive line meant it made sense to go more direct & also to play 3 CBs to deal with their twin threat. I do think we missed a trick though in a) having someone in midfield able to drop in better quality balls into the vast space between their back line & GK (Bird) & b) having quicker forward players to latch onto that delivery instead of playing Kazim & Gregory. All too often there were just aimless balls that their keeper was dealing with easily (even if we take into account the windy conditions)

First half was a disgrace really - just a constant diet of hoofball from both teams with no discernible quality. Obviously people will point to us staying in the game but Barnselona hardly offered any threat. Second half, we started very slowly those first 10 mins, Roos pulled out an incredible stop & then we grew into it to such an extent I thought they were hanging on last 30 mins. We started to win more second balls, actually pick out some passes & get the ball into the box (mainly Forsyth). Shinnie also started to play more advanced - he had a very decent second half.

Good performances across the back 5 - particularly pleased for Mengi who was terrible against Cardiff but had a good match aside from a couple of late errors. Suspect he'll improve rapidly just like Tomori did. Also thought Roos was excellent all game - big booming kicks that turned them around, confident coming for the ball against their front line & an excellent stop to win us a point.

A quick word on Barnsley - its a damning indictment on this division that a side that absymal could have won 7 straight games prior to tonight. They looked identical to Wycombe or Rotherham - a bunch of automaton athletes with barely a shred of ability between them. Probably the worst 'top 6' side I've ever seen at this level.

I'd agree with most of that other than about Mengi who I thought made a string of mistakes throughout the game that were lucky to not get punished.

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

A good point based on form & position but I'm disappointed we couldn't edge that particularly with Gregory's chance & Shinnie's great effort.

To a certain extent Rooney got it spot on tactically. No space in midfield, terrible pitch & a high defensive line meant it made sense to go more direct & also to play 3 CBs to deal with their twin threat. I do think we missed a trick though in a) having someone in midfield able to drop in better quality balls into the vast space between their back line & GK (Bird) & b) having quicker forward players to latch onto that delivery instead of playing Kazim & Gregory. All too often there were just aimless balls that their keeper was dealing with easily (even if we take into account the windy conditions)

First half was a disgrace really - just a constant diet of hoofball from both teams with no discernible quality. Obviously people will point to us staying in the game but Barnselona hardly offered any threat. Second half, we started very slowly those first 10 mins, Roos pulled out an incredible stop & then we grew into it to such an extent I thought they were hanging on last 30 mins. We started to win more second balls, actually pick out some passes & get the ball into the box (mainly Forsyth). Shinnie also started to play more advanced - he had a very decent second half.

Good performances across the back 5 - particularly pleased for Mengi who was terrible against Cardiff but had a good match aside from a couple of late errors. Suspect he'll improve rapidly just like Tomori did. Also thought Roos was excellent all game - big booming kicks that turned them around, confident coming for the ball against their front line & an excellent stop to win us a point.

A quick word on Barnsley - its a damning indictment on this division that a side that absymal could have won 7 straight games prior to tonight. They looked identical to Wycombe or Rotherham - a bunch of automaton athletes with barely a shred of ability between them. Probably the worst 'top 6' side I've ever seen at this level.

Charles Hughes demonstrated a long time ago that this style of football is very effective. It worked for the Crazy Gang and if you play it right it wins you games, so sounds a tad snobbish to berate them for it. Good sides should be able to compete with any style of football so perhaps the credit should stay with Barnsley and the fault lies with the teams that have lost to them...

12 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You always do an excellent match report LCR.

37 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It was ugly but, given the conditions the right tactics to grind out a draw and nearly win in. It certainly wasn't the night to try and play pretty football.

Disagree there.  On several occasions all that was required was a decent pass along the floor and we were in on goal. 

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

They're not a top 6 side because they won't be there at the end of the season, not in my view anyway

Didn't Uddersfield finish in the top 6 with a negative goal difference and then win the play offs scoring only 1 goal? Anything is possible.

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Charles Hughes demonstrated a long time ago that this style of football is very effective. It worked for the Crazy Gang and if you play it right it wins you games, so sounds a tad snobbish to berate them for it. Good sides should be able to compete with any style of football so perhaps the credit should stay with Barnsley and the fault lies with the teams that have lost to them...

I for one have no qualms about their style of play. I like the fact that teams play in different ways. That being said, I just fundamentally do not believe they are good enough to finish in the top 6 at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

A good place to go for a snooze.

You must be fun to sit next to.

Plenty on here are desperate to get back the match day experience, regardless of the quality of the game.

You're a waste of a ticket.

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Didn't Uddersfield finish in the top 6 with a negative goal difference and then win the play offs scoring only 1 goal? Anything is possible.

Sure anything is possible. Huddersfield performed a miracle that year simple as that. I don't believe Barnsley will do it, just my opinion.

1 minute ago, rad1919 said:

You must be fun to sit next to.

Plenty on here are desperate to get back the match day experience, regardless of the quality of the game.

You're a waste of a ticket.

There are some fans who don't give a shove about the quality of the game, so long as they always win. It might be OK now and again, but I suspect you're probably relatively young? You don't get to be a grumpy old fart without watching Derby for 50 years.

12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Charles Hughes was a clown & his widely discredited theories not only set English football back many years but also wasted the careers of many talented players this country produced. 

Think you missed my point anyway. On tonight's evidence they looked no better than a bottom 6 scrapper & on that basis don't deserve any 'credit'

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

There are some fans who don't give a shove about the quality of the game, so long as they always win. It might be OK now and again, but I suspect you're probably relatively young? You don't get to be a grumpy old fart without watching Derby for 50 years.

I've had a season ticket for over 30 years so I'll let you judge the relevance of my opinion however you like. I'm not really bothered.

If after 50 years I'm of the opinion I'd rather turn up for a snooze I'll probably call it a day.

19 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I for one have no qualms about their style of play. I like the fact that teams play in different ways. That being said, I just fundamentally do not believe they are good enough to finish in the top 6 at the end of the season. 

If we had tried to play pass ball at the back then we would have lost this game by two or three goals imo.

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Charles Hughes was a clown & his widely discredited theories not only set English football back many years but also wasted the careers of many talented players this country produced. 

Think you missed my point anyway. On tonight's evidence they looked no better than a bottom 6 scrapper & on that basis don't deserve any 'credit'

...but to be fair your point was about them being a top 6 side so I didn’t miss the point. Strong wind, sludgy pitch, so difficult in any case for cultured football. And whatever you think of Hughes, I don’t think his theories have been widely discredited. I don’t advocate them but they are effective. 

Archived