Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Not a single player deserves to keep his place after that shameful performance. Sadly we can’t really drop everyone, but I’d still make sweeping changes to restore a more respectable lineup:

Idem

Macdonald Mengi Clarke Forsyth

Bird

Waghorn Watson Knight Jozwiak

Kazim-Richards

I’ve defended Roos a lot, but he was awful the other night. Should have done better on probably two goals, and his distribution was woeful. May as well give Idem a go in the absence of Marshall, can’t do much worse. RB is a tough one, obviously can see the argument for restoring Byrne, but I feel he’s looked really jaded recently after playing so much football, and could do with a bit more of an extended rest for maybe at least one more game. Macdonald probably deserves a start to see what he can do, so I’d give him his chance. Clarke and Mengi looked very unconvincing the other night, but I still feel there’s potential in that partnership if they’re in a better team, so I’d give it another go. Wisdom has done well there previously, but his lack of aerial ability still terrifies me, so I’d start looking for a different option ideally. Think Buchanan has really struggled the past couple of games and looks very nervous, so could maybe do with a spell out the team with the more experienced Forsyth coming in.

Edmundson is no defensive mid, so Bird returns. Similarly Baningime is no attacking midfielder, so Knight also returns. Was impressed by Watson’s cameo the other day, and I feel Shinnie’s poor passing is letting us down, so I’d give the young lad his chance. Jozwiak and Sibley were both totally useless the other night, but we only really have Waghorn to come in, so only one can go out. Sibley is without doubt not a winger, so I’d leave him out so we’ve at least got round pegs in round holes, with Waghorn on the right and Jozwiak on the left. Then finally Kazim-Richards of course returns up front, after Gregory’s entirely anonymous and ineffective game against Cardiff.

I am glad you are not picking the actual team my friend. I agree though that we should play CKR up front so it’s not like I totally disagree with your selection, or the sentiment behind it! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Not a single player deserves to keep his place after that shameful performance. Sadly we can’t really drop everyone, but I’d still make sweeping changes to restore a more respectable lineup:

Idem

Macdonald Mengi Clarke Forsyth

Bird

Waghorn Watson Knight Jozwiak

Kazim-Richards

I’ve defended Roos a lot, but he was awful the other night. Should have done better on probably two goals, and his distribution was woeful. May as well give Idem a go in the absence of Marshall, can’t do much worse. RB is a tough one, obviously can see the argument for restoring Byrne, but I feel he’s looked really jaded recently after playing so much football, and could do with a bit more of an extended rest for maybe at least one more game. Macdonald probably deserves a start to see what he can do, so I’d give him his chance. Clarke and Mengi looked very unconvincing the other night, but I still feel there’s potential in that partnership if they’re in a better team, so I’d give it another go. Wisdom has done well there previously, but his lack of aerial ability still terrifies me, so I’d start looking for a different option ideally. Think Buchanan has really struggled the past couple of games and looks very nervous, so could maybe do with a spell out the team with the more experienced Forsyth coming in.

Edmundson is no defensive mid, so Bird returns. Similarly Baningime is no attacking midfielder, so Knight also returns. Was impressed by Watson’s cameo the other day, and I feel Shinnie’s poor passing is letting us down, so I’d give the young lad his chance. Jozwiak and Sibley were both totally useless the other night, but we only really have Waghorn to come in, so only one can go out. Sibley is without doubt not a winger, so I’d leave him out so we’ve at least got round pegs in round holes, with Waghorn on the right and Jozwiak on the left. Then finally Kazim-Richards of course returns up front, after Gregory’s entirely anonymous and ineffective game against Cardiff.

You've confirmed my worst fears with that line-up - you really do want us to go down.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A big problem against Cardiff was having Mengi at CB. I can only see it being Wisdom or possibly Edmundson partnering Clarke for the rest of the season. Byrne didn't play but you still want to keep him out of the team?

He wasn’t great, but I think it’s difficult to judge when played in such a poor side all round. I still think there potential for good balance between him and Clarke. You’re probably right though in that the intention was to bring Edmundson in to partner Clarke, he definitely gives the aerial ability that Wisdom lacks. Begs the question as to why we brought Mengi in, unless he’s one to look at for another loan next season when he’s settled in a bit more.

On Byrne, I’m just concerned about his fitness levels. He looked well off the pace against Forest, and I wonder whether one games rest is enough. He’s played a lot of football this season, far more than I’d expect from a full back, because we’ve had no one to rotate him with. No problem at all if he does play, just hope he’s fit enough.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I sometimes wonder if you make posts like this for the attention Millennium. You say how awful we were but then suggest probably our worst player, Mengi, keeps his place. Also suggest bringing in our third choice keeper to make his debut in our most important game of the season. Finally, in a team totally devoid of any creativity, you suggest leaving out our best crosser of a ball and one of our best and most consistent players in Byrne. You always bring a smile to my face though, keep on posting ???

You just don’t see my genius ?

It still makes more sense than what Rooney put out the other night!

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

So you’ve defended Roos but now you’d drop him “because he was awful the other night”?

Who would you pick for the Barnsley game then if Marshall still isn’t fit and Idem has a bad game on the basis that you’re prepared to drop a player after one bad game?

Indeed, goalkeepers don’t deserve to keep their places after poor performances anymore than outfield players.

God knows, I’m just hoping one of these days one of our goalkeepers has a decent game. I’d suggest we’ve conceded more goals than most teams this season that a good goalkeeper would have stopped. Even Marshall has let himself down on more than a few occasions.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You just don’t see my genius ?

It still makes more sense than what Rooney put out the other night!

Just about....but he was giving players a rest. We now need to pick our best available team, think the poor Mill might be a tad confused ?

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Indeed, goalkeepers don’t deserve to keep their places after poor performances anymore than outfield players.

God knows, I’m just hoping one of these days one of our goalkeepers has a decent game. I’d suggest we’ve conceded more goals than most teams this season that a good goalkeeper would have stopped. Even Marshall has let himself down on more than a few occasions.

Why not have a go at picking the England cricket team instead???

54 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting that you say performances (plural). I agree, no player deserves to keep their place after a string of bad performances but I’m not sure we should be dropping every player, especially a keeper when your number one keeper is injured, after one poor game. It’s not as if Roos had a shocker.

i'm expecting another aerial bombardment,we are not physically capable of playing against this type of game,so i hope rooney gives more thought to how we want to play rather than how coventry will play.

goalie

byrne

adamson

clarke

bucko

knight

shinnie

sibley/watson

roberts

kami

ckr

keep waghorn and gregory well away from the starting lineup

2 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

i'm expecting another aerial bombardment,we are not physically capable of playing against this type of game,so i hope rooney gives more thought to how we want to play rather than how coventry will play.

goalie

byrne

adamson

clarke

bucko

knight

shinnie

sibley/watson

roberts

kami

ckr

keep waghorn and gregory well away from the starting lineup

I have seen Coventry 3 times on SKY I think. They are not really a route 1 team like Rotherham and Wycombe. They pass the ball well and set a good tempo. They are quite attractive to watch, good passing and movement and move the ball quickly. I don’t think they will go down...be a tough test.

Archived