Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SKRam said:

May be wrong but I think this is the rarest kit to get hold of now? @loweman2 may assist with that? 

Wouldn't surprise me!  Who the hell would have saved that back then?  ?

I found a new retro version on google images.  All the white (stripes/collar etc) has been replaced with the sky blue.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just need to stop overthinking everything and get back to basics. A solid back four being a good start. Time to dispense with Wisdom and play Edmundson and Clark together. Wiz is never going to prove consistent at CB, it's just not his position and his occasional lapses in concentration hurt us less on the flanks. Good player that he is, he's an RB and well behind Byrne right now. Edmundson looks a better CB to me and is a deal better in the air. Given the chance, I can see him and Clark forming a really strong pairing at the heart of the back 4. The lad also brings significant attacking threat from set pieces, which we need, as Clarke doesn't.

The fullbacks I'd hope to see are Buchanan and Byrne. Lee's form has dipped slightly in recent weeks but only a couple of weeks back he was being mooted as POTY / YPOTY so let's try and remember that, especially where young players are concerned, form is temporary, latent ability is not.

In midfield I'd be tempted to give Beni Baningime a start in the CDM role.  I ungratefully gave him the same mark as everyone else for the Cardiff match ratings but in reality, he and young Louie Watson were the relative 'standouts'. I'm a massive Shinnie fan, but the lad covers so much ground per shift that he had to tire at some point. He's looked leggy the last couple so let's actually use the loans we've brought in. They are all short of match fitness which won't change with them sat on the bench. Beni looks promising anyway. For me, Knight and Bird pick themselves and whilst I acknowledge that's not everyone's view, it's been done to death so I'll leave that particular discussion there.

Upfront I'd like to Joz and Roberts on the flanks with King Colin leading the line. Would love to know WTF is up with Lawrence and Ibe, but I think the season is pretty much over for both really as they'd need a lot of games to get up to match fitness and sharpness so I can see only cameo performances from Lawrence and probably nothing at all from Ibe. The latter is something of a disappointment, putting it mildly. I've been supportive of him in regard of his mental health but if he's not prepared to even give it a go, then he needs to walk or have his contract cancelled. I rate the chances of him pulling on a Derby shirt ever again as remote, to say the least.

Last thought would be for Louie Watson. He has impressed at times in academy games I've watched, but I was really taken with his performance against Cardiff, especially given how poor the balance of the side were. The other Louie needs to take note - a calm, heads-up performance is what are looking for, not a constant stream of silly tackles.

So 4:3:3 as follows please Wazza. 

image.png.685030d37d8d753b49bc4aa034bd7963.png

I’d go with all of that and a brilliant surmising ‘young man’. Bar Forsyth, who I’ve never been a huge fan of, over Buchanan who I think is knackered!

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Black boots, that’s just weird 

It really isn't.

If I was a manager, rule number one would be black boots.
Fancy-Dan colours would be limited to players that had achieved at least one of the following:
50 international caps.
200 appearances for the club (that I was manager of).
100 career goals
World Cup winners medal.

#Say no to Fancy-Dan Footballers!

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t get all this “deserve to go down”. 

Stating the obvious but, the only clubs that deserve to go down are the three with the least points over the course of the season.

We could have a horrible end to the season and hardly win again but, provided at least three of the teams below us don’t do well enough to overtake us then we don’t “deserve” to go down.

I’m not suggesting less than four wins is good enough or acceptable but it wouldn’t mean we deserve to be relegated.

And I dont get all this overanalysing of every comment said tongue in cheek on here

Last time we went 3 at the back to match up we didn’t play well at Rooney changed it at half time (despite leading). Think we’ll go with the trusted 4-3-3. This would be my team:

Roos 

Byrne       Edmundson  Clarke   Forsyth

Shinnie
             Watson             Knight/Bird

Jozwiak         CKR            Sibley

I think Edmundson deserves his chance at centre half and for all he’s done ok I worry about Andre’s ball watching. Buchanan has been off it recently and needs resting. Midfield is a difficult one, we need Shinnies bite, I think we need Knight’s energy which is harsh on Bird who has been one of our better players the past few games(still can’t decide between the two), based on his cameo the other day I think Watson has to play, he could be the creative spark we need in midfield.

I’d give Joz and Sibley another go in the wide areas although wouldn’t be aggrieved if we play Roberts. 

I expect Rooney will pick something completely different to this ?

Archived