Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshall (or Roos)

Byrne   Edmundson   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Knight   Bird

Waghorn   Kazim   Sibley

I'd go with that.

Frustrating to see Sibley get his start in the game that we were basically throwing. Start him in a game like this where we're actually looking for 3 points.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, angieram said:

Except when we lost 4-0 at Villa then won the next match 2-1 against Wigan. 

I think we will get a reaction and some fresh energy from the rested players and will win.

I sure hope so, although my memory of that wigan match was we were pretty rubbish and Bennett pulling off something he's only likely to do once in his lifetime got us the points. It's more of a long term suspicion from my years of suffering this club that these things never seem to work out.

This game will be a true test of how well Rooney is actually doing. 

A positive result is all that matters really.

Coventry won’t be a push over, but play like Cocu again and lose means we are in real trouble.

i expect a scrappy game and we grind out a 0-0 draw.

28 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

This game will be a true test of how well Rooney is actually doing. 

A positive result is all that matters really.

Coventry won’t be a push over, but play like Cocu again and lose means we are in real trouble.

i expect a scrappy game and we grind out a 0-0 draw.

I am increasingly nervous that the "Rooney" revolution in our form was actually the "Bielik" revolution and now we have lost the latter for the season our form is steadily returning to Cocu levels.

Our solid defence has disappeared - perhaps because we are trying to attack more. But our goalscoring hasn't improved to compensate.

Now we appear to be ditching the "keep it very simple" approach and risking confusing the players all over again. 

Needs to get back to dour defence and try to nick a goal stuff.

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I am increasingly nervous that the "Rooney" revolution in our form was actually the "Bielik" revolution and now we have lost the latter for the season our form is steadily returning to Cocu levels.

Our solid defence has disappeared - perhaps because we are trying to attack more. But our goalscoring hasn't improved to compensate.

Now we appear to be ditching the "keep it very simple" approach and risking confusing the players all over again. 

I’m totally on the same page. 
Bielik was the key. We don’t seem to have a positive game plan without him.

Hard to believe that a team can revolve around and depend so much on one player.

We have reverted to square pegs in round holes and playing  it around at the back. Even the games we have won since Bielik has been out have been poor performances and lucky/late against very poor sides.

Hope we go back to basics:: solid defence, players in their best positions, Consistent team selection,  press the opposition.

Let’s see what happens on Saturday, but I’m concerned

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I sure hope so, although my memory of that wigan match was we were pretty rubbish and Bennett pulling off something he's only likely to do once in his lifetime got us the points. It's more of a long term suspicion from my years of suffering this club that these things never seem to work out.

Don't disagree about the Wigan performance.  Losing makes players (and fans!) nervy. 

13 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Biggest game of the season this one. It's a must not lose game - I'd take a point now.

Biggest until Birmingham 3rd from last game or Sheff Weds on the final day?

4 wins from 13 games is all we need to stay up. I'll be shocked if we don't achieve that

13 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

The Ricoh is a disaster though, exec boxes all the way down one side just destroy any chance of an atmosphere, then have it quarter full and it's no surprise there's no love for it.

When Boris promised chance to get 5-10k back in grounds by the summer I bet they were delighted at the prospect of a record attendance.

They are moving back next season. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/ricoh-arena-coventry-city-could-19961067

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

4 wins from 13 games is all we need to stay up. I'll be shocked if we don't achieve that

And if we dont we would deserve to go down. We are due a performance and hope saturday is it (but sadly hope that each match)

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hopefully those games will be redundant and we can sit back and relax

16 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

And if we dont we would deserve to go down. We are due a performance and hope saturday is it (but sadly hope that each match)

I’m in the same hope and pray club as you. Perhaps we need a sexy sounding name for it? #Hope-kills or #maybenexttime or #livingonapray

Every time we see a glimmer, it’s pulled away from us soon after

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

I’m totally on the same page. 
Bielik was the key. We don’t seem to have a positive game plan without him.

Hard to believe that a team can revolve around and depend so much on one player.

We have reverted to square pegs in round holes and playing  it around at the back. Even the games we have won since Bielik has been out have been poor performances and lucky/late against very poor sides.

Hope we go back to basics:: solid defence, players in their best positions, Consistent team selection,  press the opposition.

Let’s see what happens on Saturday, but I’m concerned

Bielik was simultaneously the most creative player in midfield, the link between the defence and attack and the best defensive player in midfield. Our midfield set up was essentially have Shinnie and Knight run and press and have Bielik do literally everything else. We essentially had a very unbalanced midfield and it was only that Bielik is excellent that we got away with it. 

Even then though teams were starting to really clock that it was the case, with a prime example being the first game versus Rotherham. Yes you can argue that game was rustiness but if you look back tacticaly Rotherham had us worked out; by man marking Bielik they could cut off our entire ability to play through the middle, by setting pressing traps around Shinnie and the full backs they could get easy turnovers and by having 3 centre backs against CKR they stopped any ability of going long. And thats a pattern that been repeating consistently since then. 

We need to either have two players who look to get on the ball, find space and look to get us playing in a midfield 3 (like we started to see when we had both Bird and Watson on the pitch), play a 343 with two wide forwards who can look to stay forward and tuck into the half spaces or abandon trying to play through the midfield entirely and lump it into CKR with someone playing off him. 

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Cov have stuck to a form of 343 for most of the season. I expect Rooney to match them up with 523 (343).

Marshall (or Roos)

Byrne   Edmundson   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Knight   Bird

Waghorn   Kazim   Sibley

Think going to a 3/5 at the back makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Would be tempted to go for 3412 with Watson in the hole after his cameo against Cardiff or Sibley there in a more accustomed position for him.

43 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Think going to a 3/5 at the back makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Would be tempted to go for 3412 with Watson in the hole after his cameo against Cardiff or Sibley there in a more accustomed position for him.

I don't think we'll see Sibley in the middle until he learns to get involved in play more

2 hours ago, StrawHillRam said:

I’m in the same hope and pray club as you. Perhaps we need a sexy sounding name for it? #Hope-kills or #maybenexttime or #livingonapray

Every time we see a glimmer, it’s pulled away from us soon after

Yes it really is - would rather sit down to watch with that same brief expectation of hope or why would you bother? Anyway perhaps Saturday - at least two of us will have that thought at 3pm ( or 2 depending on team selection!)

Archived