Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

7 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Yes it really is - would rather sit down to watch with that same brief expectation of hope or why would you bother? Anyway perhaps Saturday - at least two of us will have that thought at 3pm ( or 2 depending on team selection!)

Can’t wait ?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

And if we dont we would deserve to go down. We are due a performance and hope saturday is it (but sadly hope that each match)

I don’t get all this “deserve to go down”. 

Stating the obvious but, the only clubs that deserve to go down are the three with the least points over the course of the season.

We could have a horrible end to the season and hardly win again but, provided at least three of the teams below us don’t do well enough to overtake us then we don’t “deserve” to go down.

I’m not suggesting less than four wins is good enough or acceptable but it wouldn’t mean we deserve to be relegated.

3 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Yes I think you are right and I’m not. No change there Themen!

Wonder who Geoff Milne is or was. Will have to Google him now

In 1989 Dalton and Plunder and their drummer, Geoff Milne, formed a side project, Hippy Dribble, playing their more psychedelic songs. In December 1990 the trio also formed Captain Denim to play "more laid-back songs 

I Knew there was football connection

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we'll see Sibley in the middle until he learns to get involved in play more

That's an interesting point to make but would you mind expanding because I'm not sure I entirely agree on the face of it especially as he's spent most of his time recently shoved out wide which tends to see players less involved ?

Sibley to my eyes does generally get involved; drops into half spaces, makes runs, offers for the ball, looks to carry and get shots away. Sometimes his decision making can be a bit wayward and he doesn't release the ball when he should at times but he's a player that I think we haven't really given a really proper go this season and he often seems to get dropped after playing well (thinking of the Birmingham in particular here). Especially as we have been playing Knight there who really hasn't done in enough from either a linking perspective or creative perspective and honestly seems really unsuited to playing at 10.

Maybe I'm missing something though and I'll happily admit my bias that I'd be putting a lot of effort into trying to get the kinds of performances we were seeing from Sibley when he first broke into the side.

35 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t get all this “deserve to go down”. 

Stating the obvious but, the only clubs that deserve to go down are the three with the least points over the course of the season.

We could have a horrible end to the season and hardly win again but, provided at least three of the teams below us don’t do well enough to overtake us then we don’t “deserve” to go down.

I’m not suggesting less than four wins is good enough or acceptable but it wouldn’t mean we deserve to be relegated.

deserve to go down talk (of clubs not in bottom 3) is as bad as talk of 'deserve to be in the premier league rubbish.'

19 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just got a nagging feeling we'll lose this one just because we rested players and expected to lose against Cardiff. It's just the way it always sodding goes. It's one of the reasons I never blamed Wassall for putting the full team out vs Ipswitch that time (I know what happened to George happened, but hindsight is always 20/20)

Resting players for a league game v Coventry...has it really come to this?

35 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Hey @B4ev6is...

How about this one, mate?

brown-kit.jpg

#pinkaintsobad

I can remember them wearing this when they played us at the BBG and the Popside singing an unflattering song about the colour of the kit and what it looked like.

image.png.6c2c26c61ffaadd6337f6f29b581978d.png

Subs: Roos, Buchanan, McDonald, Edmundson, Baningime, Bird, Sibley, Roberts, Gregory

Forsyth over Buchanan as he has better crossing and passing, also Buchanan in need of a rest.

Watson to start, looked great v Cardiff, exactly what we've been missing. Some may say he's too young, lets not put too much pressure on him, but he is almost 20 years old. Think we have the perfect manager to help him cope with it who's been there himself, and i honestly think it will not faze him. If your good enough, your old enough.

Marshall straight back in goal if he's recovered, think amongst other things, we missed his organising of the defence v Cardiff.

Obvious changes like Byrne, CKR, Knight all come back in

Shinnie at CDM to add some experience & leadership to the midfield. 

Let's get back to the 4-3-3 which was working so well for us and try to up the tempo. No more tinkering and switching formations, keep it simple for the players so they know their roles inside out.

33 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's an interesting point to make but would you mind expanding because I'm not sure I entirely agree on the face of it especially as he's spent most of his time recently shoved out wide which tends to see players less involved ?

Sibley to my eyes does generally get involved; drops into half spaces, makes runs, offers for the ball, looks to carry and get shots away. Sometimes his decision making can be a bit wayward and he doesn't release the ball when he should at times but he's a player that I think we haven't really given a really proper go this season and he often seems to get dropped after playing well (thinking of the Birmingham in particular here). Especially as we have been playing Knight there who really hasn't done in enough from either a linking perspective or creative perspective and honestly seems really unsuited to playing at 10.

Maybe I'm missing something though and I'll happily admit my bias that I'd be putting a lot of effort into trying to get the kinds of performances we were seeing from Sibley when he first broke into the side.

I'm talking more in terms of build up play rather than attacking contributions per game. In a good 90 minute game, he'll be pushing for 30 touches on the ball. Whereas a bad day for Lawrence is 45, with numbers usually hitting the high 50s or into the 60s.
He'll drop into the half spaces in the final third, but doesn't make space for himself enough when our defence has the ball.

20 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think they should revive their beautiful sky blue kit and chocolate away kit from the 70s. They should also be forced to pick players called Wallace and Ferguson up front at all times. Unless resting them in unwinnable games like Luton away of course. 

classic comedy kit,it was like playing ten turds

I stopped going to the Baseball Ground for a few years after I was transported a metre with my feet not touching the ground when the crowd moved forward to see a corner against Coventry City. That was in the Ley Stand before Clough got us the new one.

Just need to stop overthinking everything and get back to basics. A solid back four being a good start. Time to dispense with Wisdom and play Edmundson and Clark together. Wiz is never going to prove consistent at CB, it's just not his position and his occasional lapses in concentration hurt us less on the flanks. Good player that he is, he's an RB and well behind Byrne right now. Edmundson looks a better CB to me and is a deal better in the air. Given the chance, I can see him and Clark forming a really strong pairing at the heart of the back 4. The lad also brings significant attacking threat from set pieces, which we need, as Clarke doesn't.

The fullbacks I'd hope to see are Buchanan and Byrne. Lee's form has dipped slightly in recent weeks but only a couple of weeks back he was being mooted as POTY / YPOTY so let's try and remember that, especially where young players are concerned, form is temporary, latent ability is not.

In midfield I'd be tempted to give Beni Baningime a start in the CDM role.  I ungratefully gave him the same mark as everyone else for the Cardiff match ratings but in reality, he and young Louie Watson were the relative 'standouts'. I'm a massive Shinnie fan, but the lad covers so much ground per shift that he had to tire at some point. He's looked leggy the last couple so let's actually use the loans we've brought in. They are all short of match fitness which won't change with them sat on the bench. Beni looks promising anyway. For me, Knight and Bird pick themselves and whilst I acknowledge that's not everyone's view, it's been done to death so I'll leave that particular discussion there.

Upfront I'd like to Joz and Roberts on the flanks with King Colin leading the line. Would love to know WTF is up with Lawrence and Ibe, but I think the season is pretty much over for both really as they'd need a lot of games to get up to match fitness and sharpness so I can see only cameo performances from Lawrence and probably nothing at all from Ibe. The latter is something of a disappointment, putting it mildly. I've been supportive of him in regard of his mental health but if he's not prepared to even give it a go, then he needs to walk or have his contract cancelled. I rate the chances of him pulling on a Derby shirt ever again as remote, to say the least.

Last thought would be for Louie Watson. He has impressed at times in academy games I've watched, but I was really taken with his performance against Cardiff, especially given how poor the balance of the side were. The other Louie needs to take note - a calm, heads-up performance is what are looking for, not a constant stream of silly tackles.

So 4:3:3 as follows please Wazza. 

image.png.685030d37d8d753b49bc4aa034bd7963.png

Archived