The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

He did actually clarify how he worked it out - not scientific, it's based on polling data.

There's no need to even use polls, most people register their affiliations. It's caught out plenty of politicians who then switched later in life and were accused of flip-flopping. 

It's a similar story for people who donate to Parties. Their name, occupation, city of residency and amount they donated is all public record. Not many people know it is when they donate and it has made a few celebs look silly when it was shown they donated to a Party they criticised. 

It's also caught out some big corporations who said one thing in public and then did another thing with their wallet. Such as calling out climate change and then donating to the GOP.

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

There's no need to even use polls

I don't even know why it was being debated. It's not like "more republican voters are unvaccinated than democrat voters" is a particularly unbelievable state of affairs. If asked I'm sure that most everyone would guess that to be the case

39 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

And you and @G STAR RAM would be wrong.

Most people in the US register for the Party they vote for, there is an option to do so on the voting form and it's kinda like a badge of pride.

It then becomes a matter of public record.

You don't have to do it and it doesn't mean you have to vote for the Party you declared.

So you don’t have to. So a waste of your time posting. Thanks for your input. 

It's frustrating when you take the time to lay out facts and they get deleted but the comment that prompted me to do so gets left there as the last word.

Anyway, on another note, 13 people who worked for the Miami-Dade School District have died from Covid in the last 3 or 4 weeks. None were vaccinated.

Unless you're a full on anti-vaxxer I think we can all agree that unvaccinated people should not be working with kids.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

It's frustrating when you take the time to lay out facts and they get deleted but the comment that prompted me to do so gets left there as the last word.

Anyway, on another note, 13 people who worked for the Miami-Dade School District have died from Covid in the last 3 or 4 weeks. None were vaccinated.

Unless you're a full on anti-vaxxer I think we can all agree that unvaccinated people should not be working with kids.

Interested in the basis you say we can all agree unvaccinated should not be working with kids , as the district said none of the cases were contracted in schools and are you saying the unvaccinated are a danger to children or the unvaccinated are at risk from children ? 
you seem to have a habit of presenting your view as facts we can all agree on ,, 

Unless the school has hundreds and hundreds of teachers, that seems like an abnormally high fatality rate?

41 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The future of Social Care all sorted out after one day in Parliament. Impressive stuff.  Why did we waste so much time saying something needed to be done, when it was just so easy to fix?  Praise be for these times, when there is no need for scrutiny, or details or planning. 

Unless it leads to staffing shortages ? 

https://news.sky.com/story/draconian-mandatory-jabs-for-care-home-staff-rule-must-be-repealed-unison-says-amid-fast-approaching-deadline-12398418

22 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Unless the school has hundreds and hundreds of teachers, that seems like an abnormally high fatality rate?

Sorry, ignore that - I shouldn't post until my morning coffee has kicked in ? 

I read it as a school, it would seem its the entire school district including 7 bus drivers;

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/571214-13-miami-area-school-staffers-die-of-covid-19-since-start-of-new

So I would imagine that the fatality rate is broadly in line with the data and in the cases of the bus drivers at least, very difficult to absolutely pin on the school system.  

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Sorry, ignore that - I shouldn't post until my morning coffee has kicked in ? 

I read it as a school, it would seem its the entire school district including 7 bus drivers;

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/571214-13-miami-area-school-staffers-die-of-covid-19-since-start-of-new

So I would imagine that the fatality rate is broadly in line with the data and in the cases of the bus drivers at least, very difficult to absolutely pin on the school system.  

I wasn't pinning it on the school system, I was just suggesting that I think people who are in contact with kids should be vaccinated because that is how it will most likely spread this autumn.

43 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Doctors and nurses have to have Hep B, TB, MMRI, Covid and there's another one that slips my mind now, but is that the reason we are short of nurses?

Or is it that the pay and working conditions are utter crap?

The health care sector get even worse pay and worse conditions to work in.

So there is that.

Coffee Reaction GIF by joeyahlbum

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Doctors and nurses have to have Hep B, TB, MMRI, Covid and there's another one that slips my mind now, but is that the reason we are short of nurses?

So there is that.

Coffee Reaction GIF by joeyahlbum

Give it a rest, we gave them a few rounds of applause last spring. What else do they want?

Anyway, nurses should be able to get a payrise now, paid for by the increase in their NI contributions. It's like a cheat code in a computer game that let's you level up!

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I wasn't pinning it on the school system, I was just suggesting that I think people who are in contact with kids should be vaccinated because that is how it will most likely spread this autumn.

The article suggests a link.  More than half that caught it are bus drivers that surely interact with thousands of people throughout the day?  It also mentions nothing any health/weight issues etc - bus drivers tend not to be the fittest of people for example!

We know the fatality rate now and who is at the most risk, if people don't want the jab imho its up to them - everyone has surely had the opportunity by now.  Mandating vaccines (or vaccine passports) will lead to a lot of resentment, job losses (inc services not being delivered) and potentially violence.

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yup, health care is a crappy, underpaid  job and naturally some people, especially the younger generations are wary of the new vaccine. 

If just 10% leave an already understaffed sector could be crippled putting a lot of lives at risk.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but mandating vaccines could lead to the very same deaths of people you are trying to protect.  

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Give it a rest, we gave them a few rounds of applause last spring. What else do they want?

Anyway, nurses should be able to get a payrise now, paid for by the increase in their NI contributions. It's like a cheat code in a computer game that let's you level up!

Anyone one know when the new NI rip off kicks in? Is now or April? 

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Anyone one know when the new NI rip off kicks in? Is now or April? 

April I believe.

It's sort of on-topic I guess, as the justification for breaking the manifesto promise on no tax/NI rises is that "no one predicted the pandemic"

If only there were another way to sort it though - like, maybe a windfall tax on the already wealthy who have vastly increased their wealth as a direct result of the pandemic.

There has been unimaginable mental, physical and financial suffering caused by this pandemic (and that's just on this thread!) so the fact that some people are laughing all the way to the bank as a result makes me sick