Hoofball

IslandExile

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

It was a good opportunity to measure our improvement against forest’s. They went to Wycombe very recently and won 3-0.

Great idea, but comparing like for like games isn't a great way to measure improvement, as others have pointed out we have beaten teams they have lost to.

Last 5 games

Derby W4 D0 L1 Pts 12

Forest W2 D2 L1 Pts 8

Last 10 Games

Derby W7 D0 L4 Pts 18

Forest W4 D5 L1 Pts 17

12 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Would you rather try play tippy tappy football like lampard and lose to Bolton Rotherham etc or would you rather play goof ball but get the 3 points??

So if you play "tippy tappy" you always lose and if you play hoof ball you always win? ?

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

For those people who are saying "grind out results" and "you need to play this style to win these types of games".

What if that own goal hadn't gone in?

What if the offside hadn't been wrongly given?

What if Wisdom didn't get it on target?

We were very lucky yesterday. That performance was right up there with a Phil Brown game, and we all know it. We could easily have come away with a defeat. What would you be saying if we'd been turned over by Wycombe after that performance.

Thankfully our manager isn't sugar coating it, and he knows that those kind of performances won't keep us up long term. Absolutely poohoused it last night, as we should have walked away with nothing. 

What if Kazim hadn't got in Joz's way for a tap in?

What if Kazim had nodded in that open goal from a yard out?

Just as valid really!

I've no issue getting it forward quickly if that's the best method to achieve results in games like this. That doesn't automatically mean it's "hoofball". It wasn't when Thorne got it up to Martin quickly and had Bryson and co running off him. Then it was described as genius football.

Neither does it need to be about silky football; it's about playing basic five or 10 yard balls to a player who is on your team and progressing up the pitch in a controlled manner. We did it once or twice and guess what, we created chances.

The rest of the time we just needlessly gave the ball away. I very much doubt Rooney would have sent them out to constantly kick the ball into touch or to a Wycombe player. 

Rooney was spot on in his analysis - great result, but the performance was dire. He recognises it, and I've no doubt in time he will sort it. Amid the relegation fight, the level of performances this season, all the off field malarky, his appointment is proving to be a real beacon of hope. 

I'll say it again for those that appear to have missed it..... I am not criticising Rooney. I have lauded the changes that he has made.

And it was not a typical performance under Rooney. In his post match interview he says exactly how I feel: "delighted with the result but not the performance".

Someone else (RamNut?) made the point.....you do not have to resort to playing like that to win games of football, even against the Wycombe's of this world. No offence Wycombe ?

That was not a case of "getting it forward quickly", "playing it down the channels" - that was pure and simply hoofing it up in the air in roughly a forward direction. I hope it was a one off. Judging by Rooney's own reaction, I am confident that it will be the last time we see it.

What I do think is a positive is that going into next season, I would like to think we will play a better style of football but we will also have a more physical game in our armoury which we havent had in a very long time. Fans cry out for a plan B, well under Rooney we have played 433 4231 343 442 and done pretty well (results wise) at most if not all.

New pitch in the summer, a full preseason under Rooney, Rooney states he prefers 433 so id expect that to be our main formation next season but I love we can mix our style, change formations and the players will all benefit next season for what Rooney has done this season.

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

And the league table since Rooney's first win against Millwall on Dec 5

Also note that Swansea have only lost one game in that time - against us because Rooney found a way to set up against that particular opponent.

I expect us to NOT play 442 against Watford as Rooney will have identified a different system for a different opponent 

Screenshot_2021-02-17-09-53-05-536_com.android.chrome.jpg

When you factor in that we were staring relegation in the face, and the low morale of the players, when WR took over, it's even more remarkable. That '1st 13'match' table is truly horrific.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

What if Kazim hadn't got in Joz's way for a tap in?

What if Kazim had nodded in that open goal from a yard out?

Just as valid really!

We need to take our chances, I agree. But when we rely on dodgy refereeing or own goals, your luck will run out eventually. 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

We need to take our chances, I agree. But when we rely on dodgy refereeing or own goals, your luck will run out eventually. 

Think it's unfair to say we rely on them, what goes around comes around, we've been on the end of plenty of dodgy referring decisions ourselves, so when a couple finally come our way I will take them gladly.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

So if you play "tippy tappy" you always lose and if you play hoof ball you always win? ?

No but if you played tippy tappy football last night we’d have comfortably lost. They’d sit in a low block and counter all game. We don’t have the quality of players to find a pass through a low block. Against Wycombe and boro Rooney made the right choice imo. I can assure you I don’t think we’ll play hoofball on Friday 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I think we are due a bit of luck at the moment as we had nothing but bad luck and poor decisions from the officials in spades earlier in the season.

I’d rather play how we did last night than either just keeping the ball for the sake of it and not attempting to go forward with it (Clemence) or allowing the opposition to have the majority of the ball and hoping to capitalise on mistakes (Rowett).  Obviously, I’d much rather we played like we did under Mac1, but provided we are being positive and wanting to be on the front foot, then I don’t mind a more direct approach.  Also, now and again we might have to be more ‘agricultural’ than we’d like because of the opposition.

I don’t think we were at all negative in our approach last night, and that’s ok with me. 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

No but if you played tippy tappy football last night we’d have comfortably lost. They’d sit in a low block and counter all game. We don’t have the quality of players to find a pass through a low block. Against Wycombe and boro Rooney made the right choice imo. I can assure you I don’t think we’ll play hoofball on Friday 

In your opinion. I don't think Rooney wanted to play like we did last night, he was rather unhappy with our performance. 

Football is about winning matches. Now obviously I’d much prefer to see us playing beautiful, free flowing, passing football - I think we all would. And that’s something that we should obviously be aiming to build into our philosophy long term, if at all possible. But not at the expense of results. I don’t care if we play 4-4-2 and ducking lump it like we have the past couple of games, so long as we get the points on the board. I get they’ve probably been horrible watches for the neutral - but that’s exactly the point, we ain’t neutral. I don’t get why anyone would care about anything other than seeing Derby win, however we manage it.

Clearly there is a point to be had that if we aren’t winning matches playing that style, then criticism will quite rightly be a lot harsher than if we were playing better football. That’s only natural, as at least when you’re playing well there’s some hope for improvement. But right now, while we’re winning games... who cares?!

I can remember playing Ilkeston Town Reserves many, many years ago. We scored in the first minute then defended for the next 89 minutes and I can recall the ball being hoofed anywhere we could includiing over the fence and into the road.

At the end of the match we didn't care how we played, we got the points on the board which was all that mattered.

Archived