Hoofball

IslandExile

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, SK47 said:

As a die hard Derby fan, I have to say we have some of the weirdest fans sometimes. We were bottom of the league without a prayer, many saying we were going down.. Rooney has came in and hit the ground running, getting points by any means necessary and has single handedly transformed the teams form.  

We have just scored a 94th minute winner away from home... taking us to within 9 points of the playoffs and people are still finding a way of saying "not good enough" because we played more direct... and still WON?

If we play like that and lose... fair enough, but a wins a win this season so simmer down you miserable toads.

COYR

?

Not just the fans, listen to the manager....

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/02/wayne-rooney-reaction-wycombe-wanderers-vs-Derby-county-february-2021-ramstv

It's a fair point by the OP to be fair. For so long many have moaned that they wouldn't want a Warnock or someone similar in charge and sacrifice success over playing style.

Me I don't care, if we win I'm not going to moan, we have been in this league to long and the only way I wanted to get out of it was by going upwards not down.

We shouldn’t be judging Rooney on performances at this stage. This season is all about getting results. By hook or by crook. 

We are six points clear of the bottom 3, so Rooney is doing his part so far. It is proving effective, which is all you can ask for at the moment.

I still have my doubts about Rooney and whether he’s the answer. But we are not going to be able to gauge that right now. 

We have to see how the team evolves and how the team looks next season after an extended transfer window and hopefully following some investment.

If we are still playing tractor-ball at Christmas, then threads like this will definitely hold weight.

35 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

The game against Boro was like watching the 1970 Brazil team by comparison ?

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I can’t remember a worse game in over 40 years. It was agricultural, park football. Think Sunday morning, November, drizzly wet weather with the off-pitch noise of a dozen boozy blokes who’ve come straight from an all-nighter. Their centre-forward was a kick-boxer who managed to assault 3 of our players & still get the free-kick. Dreadful spectacle but for once we were the ones who got the 3 points. Ordinarily, I’m a football purist and would disown that sort of football but on this occasion I would say to Wycombe sometimes you reap what you sow. 

Not a ringing endorsement, but as I said, it’s all about the 3 points. I’m not worried about developing a style or philosophy that will bode well for us as a club for when we’re promoted right now, I’m worried about not accruing enough points to stay on this league. Give me poo performances , and 3 points each week til May, and I’ll be happy. 

Save the tika-taka for when we’re safe...

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah we won. Yeah, I fully support Rooney as manager.

But, heck, that was a difficult watch.

Did we put three passes together? Were any two consecutive passes played on the ground?

Squad rotation, injuries, relegation battle, pragmatic approach.... But, sorry, I don't want Derby County to play that way.

COYR ?

Agree but look at the toss Cocu continued to throw up away from home by not being direct. We would have capitulated tonight under him

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Not a ringing endorsement, but as I said, it’s all about the 3 points. I’m not worried about developing a style or philosophy that will bode well for us as a club for when we’re promoted right now, I’m worried about not accruing enough points to stay on this league. Give me poo performances , and 3 points each week til May, and I’ll be happy. 

Save the tika-taka for when we’re safe...

Yes; I was agreeing. 

Some of the footy tonight was atrocious. I think there was a 30 second spell in the second half where literally every clearance we made was on the floor to them. 

Players literally kicking it 60 yards every time, no thought process at all.

It was just a very painful watch and the only consolation was doing a very none Derby thing at the end.

46 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Hes the manager.. imagine if he said "we played well" when we didn't... he's supposed to make us play the best way possible and look to improve... its our job to support the team and celebrate wins regardless of how they come.  Especially when we are in the season we're in and had basically zero money to work with, plus all the off the field drama too.

We have turned a massive corner and to win in the 94th minute tonight, I don't care how we played before that. Great stuff ?

Won 5 of the last 6, we can play hoof ball, donkey ball, or dodge ball for the rest of the season if we keep this form up for me.

I also don't care who scores, be it set piece or off the keepers arse, this is football not strictly come dancing, I don't want us to be in League 1 saying but look how pretty we got here, I want us to win games and at times in the Championship you have to dig in, scrap for points. 

Was only a few months ago relegation was a serious possibility, we're still not out the woods yet either so we can't start being picky over how these wins come.  

Must admit, I do love a poohouse win, that feeling of ugh for most of the 90 minutes to see the ball fly in the net with one of the last kicks of the game. We've been on the other end a few times, didn't see QPR fans stomping off at Wembley grumbling. 

We won, enjoy it!

4 minutes ago, David said:

Won 5 of the last 6, we can play hoof ball, donkey ball, or dodge ball for the rest of the season if we keep this form up for me.

I also don't care who scores, be it set piece or off the keepers arse, this is football not strictly come dancing, I don't want us to be in League 1 saying but look how pretty we got here, I want us to win games and at times in the Championship you have to dig in, scrap for points. 

Was only a few months ago relegation was a serious possibility, we're still not out the woods yet either so we can't start being picky over how these wins come.  

Must admit, I do love a poohouse win, that feeling of ugh for most of the 90 minutes to see the ball fly in the net with one of the last kicks of the game. We've been on the other end a few times, didn't see QPR fans stomping off at Wembley grumbling. 

We won, enjoy it!

Exactly as above.

5 minutes ago, David said:

We won, enjoy it!

As I said earlier, I laughed my head off when the goal went in.

Partially because I expected Waghorn to score direct, when it rebounded for  Wisdom to score with the last kick, it was payback for all the scrappy end of game goals that have gone against us for a while!

Viva la merde Maison!

6 minutes ago, networker1884 said:

I have to agree with a few of the comments. Rooney hasn't changed the team into a hoofball team. He's taught the team to play differently against different opposition. And as the results have proven, it's worked/working. We were bottom of the league not long ago...

We learnt how to beat a bottom of the league team. Wycombe deserved to win. Onwards and upwards. Sweet 16th for today.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah we won. Yeah, I fully support Rooney as manager.

But, heck, that was a difficult watch.

Did we put three passes together? Were any two consecutive passes played on the ground?

Squad rotation, injuries, relegation battle, pragmatic approach.... But, sorry, I don't want Derby County to play that way.

COYR ?

I think it's a good point, but I also think we can't run before we can walk. Rooney started off in a very bad place at the bottom of the table, yet tonight we're in 16th pace, 6 points clear of the drop zone. There's a truism in football that you build from the back, give yourselves a solid spine and then make yourself hard to beat. The problem was I simply didn't think we had good enough defenders, and then our best one Curtis Davies did his achilles. Then we got Bielik back briefly before doing his ACL again. Yet our defence is now organized and incredibly solid. It's an extraordinary transformation.

For me what Rooney has done in the goals against column in such difficult circumstances buys him a lot of goodwill in terms of making our forward play more attractive. So I completely get where you're coming from, but think we have to be patient. There are potentially the players at the club to turn us into an irresistible attacking force further down the line, but it might have to wait for much later in the season, or even next season. For now I'm happy with winning football.

8 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It wasn't a general statement about the way we've been playing under Rooney because I think that's the worst we've played under him.

I've applauded his more pragmatic, more attacking approach over what we saw under Cocu.

But that wasn't it. That was all out "kick it down the other end". We have not seen that "lump it" style before, not under Rooney.

Did you watch the boro game???

Archived