Hoofball

IslandExile

Yeah we won. Yeah, I fully support Rooney as manager.

But, heck, that was a difficult watch.

Did we put three passes together? Were any two consecutive passes played on the ground?

Squad rotation, injuries, relegation battle, pragmatic approach.... But, sorry, I don't want Derby County to play that way.

COYR ?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Did we put three passes together? Were any two consecutive passes played on the ground?

Squad rotation, injuries, relegation battle, pragmatic approach.... But, sorry, I don't want Derby County to play that way.

COYR ?

It’s the way to beat the teams below us.  Ge it up front look for loose balls, or fouls.  Very clear today.  Playing it on the ground just plays into teams like Wycombe they compress the pitch and there is no way out.  We were better with 2 full backs to widen the pitch.  Thought Mengi  and foz were outplayed 

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

COYR ?

But you’d have moaned if we’d tried to play our normal game and lost. 

So you moan when we set up to beat a team like Wycombe and come away with the 3 points. 

Some people can’t be pleased. 

Horses for courses at the minute. I’ll be happy for us to play tika-taka when we’re 12 points clear of the relegation zone. Until then, it’s all about the 3 points. Didn’t watch tonight, if it was anything like the Boro game I can imagine it wasn’t great, but I’ll take playing crap and winning in our predicament any day. You don’t win points for style...

1 minute ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

But you’d have moaned if we’d tried to play our normal game and lost. 

So you moan when we set up to beat a team like Wycombe and come away with the 3 points. 

Some people can’t be pleased. 

When have you heard me do that?

Some people mix other people up.

If Rooney tried to continue Cocu's style we'd probably be 6 points from safety rather than 6 clear. He took over and set about making us harder to defeat and so far he's achieved that. Let's try and survive, hopefully get the takeover sorted in the coming months and see what he does when he can sign some quality players of his choosing. 

This season for Rooney is about keeping us by any means necessary. 

Next season I am sure we will have our own style but with Pride Parks pitch the way it is we can hardly play much football on the ground and Rooney is being clever by picking his team & tactics to suit the opponents. 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

If Rooney tried to continue Cocu's style we'd probably be 6 points from safety rather than 6 clear. He took over and set about making us harder to defeat and so far he's achieved that. Let's try and survive, hopefully get the takeover sorted in the coming months and see what he does when he can sign some quality players of his choosing. 

It wasn't a general statement about the way we've been playing under Rooney because I think that's the worst we've played under him.

I've applauded his more pragmatic, more attacking approach over what we saw under Cocu.

But that wasn't it. That was all out "kick it down the other end". We have not seen that "lump it" style before, not under Rooney.

We're in a situation we need to get out of and Rooney hasn't exactly been able to flash the cash and change around the team. He's having to work with the existing squad and added some loan players when possible.

The mentality of the squad is changing, we're harder to beat and solid defensively, but we don't have the creative flair going forward.

We strung together some nice passes tonight, but it is all about the 3 points. I'm sure, in time, Rooney will have the team playing better football, when the pressure of a relegation battle eases off and he can find a settled team including the new recruits.

Also, there will be an overhaul in the summer when players are out of contract, lots of new faces will be needed. Hopefully we can put together a team with a bit more attacking nous then.

Archived