Hoofball

IslandExile

I think it is clear that Rooney wants the team to play good stylish football, it will take time to mould the team as he wants it to be but the signs are really good already.

He stated before both the Boro and Wycombe games that there are matches where 442 would be required just because of the way the opposition play, but you can tell from his responses that his vision of 442 is not hoof ball at all but it is bypassing the midfield quickly when needed..the issue is getting the players to adapt to it for certain matches.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn’t really be bothered to respond you, @Asanovic70 what’s the point? 

the point I’m making is simple enough. 
Quick purposeful pass and move football is the way to play. It is both effective and successful. 
the hoofball philosophy of Charles Hughes was something BC raged against for his whole career. 

Most of the stuff you reference is irrelevant.

what has tapping up players got to with it? What has sitting on the bench at extra time got to do with it? What has Cocu’s sidewards and backwards negative passing got to do with? 
all totally irrelevant.

Watching our players under instruction keep hoofing 50 yard long balls to CKR v Wycombe was not effective. It was just poo. 
The mythology that that was effective is false. We scored from two dead ball situations. Our general play achieved bugger all. But because we scrambled a lucky win against the bottom team in the league then suddenly ‘ oh yes, how clever, this is the way to play’. No it isn’t. 

you’ve read one book about Brian Clough but have totally missed the point. 

It's probably one more book on him than you've ever read, preferring to believe myths & half-truths. Look at the paperback edition (2007), chapter 'Even Clark Gable Gets Wrinkles', pages 206 onwards & 122 about Kenny Burns performing brutal tackles on Keegan that made Hamilton wince (Copies available at all good online bookshops). Hamilton described Forest's performance against Hamburg as 'attritional and compact'. So, who do I believe? A man who spent his youth and then manhood as a local journalist writing on Nott'm Forest and had a personal working relationship with BC, akin to the access Steve Nicholson enjoys, or some chap online repeating platitudes?

It occurred to me that Cocu's team had a lot in common with the Forest side that got relegated in '93. Neither man had a clue about how to turn things round. Clough can be forgiven because time had caught up with him. He had left a legacy of achievements.

I mentioned the incident at Wembley because it contradicts your comment that you can just send out a load of players with minimal information and they will wipe the floor with the opposition. Similarly, you occupied the moral high ground on another thread about cheating, acting as some kind of advocate of pure football based on chivalry and sportsmanship. Again, I mentioned the 1980 final as Forest adopted pragmatic tactics to beat the better footballing team.

Of course, quick and purposeful passing is what we'd like to see, but that depends on the calibre of footballer available to you & probably a league which allows players this freedom. Unfortunately, much as Kevin de Bruyne, Phil Foden & Ilkay Gundogan expressed admiration of our pink away kit, they are not in a particular hurry to model it soon. 

You come across as a Clough impersonator, quoting platitudes. You'll be trotting out that hackneyed quote about 'grass in the air' next. Are you available for hire? Children's parties, barmitzvahs, weddings?  

"So, who are you going to impersonate tonight, RamNut?"

"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to impersonate the great Brian Clough, singing Frank Sinatra's 'My Way'. 

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do

Watching Wycombe away on Zoom
And saw it through without exemption

And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Archived