Hoofball

IslandExile

Good god it was poo football tonight.

However, I laughed like a drain when Wisdom scored at the end.

Aesthetics can wait, let's get out of the mess by hook or by crook, and build from a Championship platform for the future.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep I’m behind Rooney, you can’t knock the points gained , that said , I said after the boro game I reckon Rooney may have that touch of good luck that follows him and you can bet if cocu was in charge that last kick of the game goal would have gone the other way.

right now we are a very very hard watch and we are seeing very few good footballing performances under Wayne but it’s unfair to judge him just now until he has his own players and a level start rather than being in deep trouble , I do know if it was rowett there would be grumbling from a fair few that they don’t care about points it’s just not what they want to watch??‍♂️

10 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah we won. Yeah, I fully support Rooney as manager.

But, heck, that was a difficult watch.

Did we put three passes together? Were any two consecutive passes played on the ground?

Squad rotation, injuries, relegation battle, pragmatic approach.... But, sorry, I don't want Derby County to play that way.

COYR ?

We had to adapt, Wycombe were in their faces when winning the ball they would hoof it. You are never going to get a free flowing passing game against that type of opposition. They will not keep up that pace of football all season, i expect later in the season Wycombe will be beaten easier by the teams that play them at the back end of the season. You won't see that type of football in our next match

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

It wasn't a general statement about the way we've been playing under Rooney because I think that's the worst we've played under him.

I've applauded his more pragmatic, more attacking approach over what we saw under Cocu.

But that wasn't it. That was all out "kick it down the other end". We have not seen that "lump it" style before, not under Rooney.

I thought the Boro game was quite similar to tonight's style but the main difference was Byrne and Buchanan started that game and offered much more going forward than Forsyth and Mengi did tonight. Byrne and Buchanan are both eager to bomb forward and put in crosses, whereas Mengi played exactly like a centre back out of position would be expected to (not close down the crosser, tuck inside to contest headers and when on the ball just play simple 5 yard passes) and Forsyth doesn't seem to have the energy he used to and rarely got forward. So for the Boro game most of the time there was an extra out ball to whichever full back pushed up with the winger moving inside to free up space for them and tonight that didn't happen.

Other than Sibley who it appears doesn't have the manager's trust at the minute, we lack a creative midfielder to get on the ball higher up the pitch and link with the forwards. We have a set of wingers who on occasions will try and run past their man but aren't that great passing wise, a group in midfield who will work their socks off but aren't the best technically and Bird who is good on the ball but just isn't suited to playing further up the pitch nearer the forwards. So unfortunately, as ugly as it may be on the eye, with an 11 starting like tonight's team our best bet is to get it quickly up to Gregory or CKR and play to their strengths so they can hopefully create chances for each other.

I think the selection had a part to play in the hoof ball tactics. Both full backs were poor on the ball today. A lot of our attacking play comes through Buchanan and Byrne. Forsyth and Mengi barely crossed the halfway line. If we wanted to ‘outfootball’ then, play footballers. The balance was wrong today. Happy with a great win though and Rooney is doing a great job! 

At the moment we've got to get points no matter how they come by so I'm not judging the performances on an aesthetic level as of yet. I'm not really enjoying watching us play and i am slightly concerned when we did try to get it down and play we were often sloppy and even looked uncomfortable.

Going forward we've got to think very carefully about who we give extensions too- I personally don't want to see CKR or Gregory at the club past this season for instance because they fit a style of play I don't think we should be adopting in the longer term. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

The game against Boro was like watching the 1970 Brazil team by comparison ?

It was all just as planned though. Apparently we wouldn’t have won any other way. 

As a die hard Derby fan, I have to say we have some of the weirdest fans sometimes. We were bottom of the league without a prayer, many saying we were going down.. Rooney has came in and hit the ground running, getting points by any means necessary and has single handedly transformed the teams form.  

We have just scored a 94th minute winner away from home... taking us to within 9 points of the playoffs and people are still finding a way of saying "not good enough" because we played more direct... and still WON?

If we play like that and lose... fair enough, but a wins a win this season so simmer down you miserable toads.

COYR

?

3 minutes ago, SK47 said:

As a die hard Derby fan, I have to say we have some of the weirdest fans sometimes. We were bottom of the league without a prayer, many saying we were going down.. Rooney has came in and hit the ground running, getting points by any means necessary and has single handedly transformed the teams form.  

We have just scored a 94th minute winner away from home... taking us to within 9 points of the playoffs and people are still finding a way of saying "not good enough" because we played more direct... and still WON?

If we play like that and lose... fair enough, but a wins a win this season so simmer down you miserable toads.

COYR

?

12 points off play offs.

3 minutes ago, SK47 said:

COYR

?

To be fair rowett had us in the play offs and was getting dogs abuse??‍♂️

43 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah we won. Yeah, I fully support Rooney as manager.

But, heck, that was a difficult watch.

Did we put three passes together? Were any two consecutive passes played on the ground?

Squad rotation, injuries, relegation battle, pragmatic approach.... But, sorry, I don't want Derby County to play that way.

COYR ?

You are completely right about the style but in fairness to Rooney, this is a salvage job.

He's learnt that when we try & play against hoofball minnows like Wycombe, Rotherham & Middlesbrough we get kicked to pieces by snarling, sly midfielders who are given freedom to do what they like by the appalling referees in this division. So he's trying to play them at their own game & it's yielded 6 points in 4 days.

Its not sustainable long term, we were lucky tonight no question & its certainly not the way I want to play long term. But I went absolutely mad at full time because all that really matters at the minute are points on the board.

Roberts' cameo & Bird's assurance tonight pointed to the way we will look to set up now now we're back to playing proper football teams.

COYR

6 minutes ago, SK47 said:

We were bottom of the league without a prayer, many saying we were going down.. Rooney has came in and hit the ground running,

I have said all along that we would not go down. I have been full of praise for Rooney's management - even in this thread. But that display, irrespective of the result, was woeful.

If you're only concerned with the result, look up it on Ceefax ?

Football can be overanalysed at times, particularly by fans. We've just scored a last-gasp winner to increase the gap to the relegation zone with the teams around us losing, and the first thought is to make a thread criticising the style?

Fair enough, it wasn't pretty to watch at all. I'd understand the frustration if this is how we played all the time. However we've shown a different side to us tonight which we previously didn't have. I'm happy to dig in and play that sort of scrappy football every now and then when we face sides who are only ever going to do the same, if we'd have tried to play nice football, I highly doubt it would work. If we played this way against a better footballing side, for example Swansea, we wouldn't have beaten them either.

Rooney is doing whatever it takes to win games and adapting his style/approach accordingly based on the opposition. He's already talked about this in interview and it's exactly what I would want him to do in order to steer us away from football.

Sometimes as a fan moments just need to be enjoyed. Neighbours several doors down probably heard my celebrations when Wisdom scored, I didn't care what had happened in the previous hour and a half. If moments such as last-minute winners can't be enjoyed, and you can't help but smile watching the celebrations back, then supporting a football team in general must be more of a chore than a pleasure.

55 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Horses for courses at the minute. I’ll be happy for us to play tika-taka when we’re 12 points clear of the relegation zone. Until then, it’s all about the 3 points. Didn’t watch tonight, if it was anything like the Boro game I can imagine it wasn’t great, but I’ll take playing crap and winning in our predicament any day. You don’t win points for style...

I can’t remember a worse game in over 40 years. It was agricultural, park football. Think Sunday morning, November, drizzly wet weather with the off-pitch noise of a dozen boozy blokes who’ve come straight from an all-nighter. Their centre-forward was a kick-boxer who managed to assault 3 of our players & still get the free-kick. Dreadful spectacle but for once we were the ones who got the 3 points. Ordinarily, I’m a football purist and would disown that sort of football but on this occasion I would say to Wycombe sometimes you reap what you sow. 

Archived