Wycombe v Derby, Tuesday 16th February

Kinder

3 minutes ago, GT89 said:

Very funny that. Saying Waghorn doesn’t offer enough, and then stating Jozwiak was fine. ???

I can assure you, it wasn't a joke. I think Jozwiak always comes to show for the ball and is always much more involved than Waghorn. Sometimes it doesn't work, but I prefer that in a winger personally. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wycombe official page I’m pretty sure said it was one of there best performances of the season so the fact we played poorly and still win is a good sign, winning with grit scoring from set pieces those 2 things we missed when we came close to promotion that’s the first thing wayne and the coaching staff has  installed 

2 minutes ago, Topram said:

Wycombe official page I’m pretty sure said it was one of there best performances of the season so the fact we played poorly and still win is a good sign, winning with grit scoring from set pieces those 2 things we missed when we came close to promotion that’s the first thing wayne and the coaching staff has  installed 

When you think we've had a season that's tough to endure, you really have to feel for Wycombe fans if that was their best performance of the season.

14 minutes ago, KBB said:

Is that what you took from our team choice and set up? That rooney would think to rest players for a game we could win against a team around us for a game against a team 3rd in the league who just thumped a team 6.0 in their recent home game? Seriously?

I think it was fairly obvious that having seen them pretty much lump it on diagonal and hang it up to the back post at every opportunity in our recent game against them Rooney though they maybe picking the most physical team possible might get us the win.

Think people are doing a pep here and getting too far in their own head.

Agreed, Rooney went for height knowing exactly what Wycombe were gonna do. it was a physical battle from the kick off and we scraped through in the end.

We were lucky to get the win. Not a very good performance against a poor side, who played to our weaknesses in terms of physical play and getting balls into box. Also made the most of a fussy ref to get lots and lots of free kicks.

However, I’ve seen a few over the top And hyperbolic comments about how bad we were (mostly on Twitter, which is to be expected). It was an ugly game, but we created a few decent chances in amongst the dross... and we kept going and won. Not something we can always say. So, chins up.

Also seen the odd comment along the lines of ‘Rooney’s worst performance’. Well, first off he can’t go out there and play for them - as the cliche goes. In terms of selection, at least I could see the logic, even if I personally wouldn’t have rested the full backs. There have been many selections over the years where the logic is completely opaque. So no massive complaints from me, and there wouldn’t have been either if we’d lost - though obviously the result makes it easier to say that.

33 minutes ago, KBB said:

Is that what you took from our team choice and set up? That rooney would think to rest players for a game we could win against a team around us for a game against a team 3rd in the league who just thumped a team 6.0 in their recent home game? Seriously?

I think it was fairly obvious that having seen them pretty much lump it on diagonal and hang it up to the back post at every opportunity in our recent game against them Rooney though they maybe picking the most physical team possible might get us the win.

Think people are doing a pep here and getting too far in their own head.

Yes. Sorry you couldn't see that. 

I think watching the games with no crowd, highlights how often teams are howling for free kicks.  Rotherham and Wycombe players were constantly throwing themselves to the ground and screaming for free kicks against us. Both teams were very successful at this and our players haven't learn't to stand off a bit more in non dangerous situations. How many stupid free kicks have we given away 10 to 20 yards outside the box, giving these teams the opportunity to put the ball into the box?

Lovely to be on the other end of a last minute winner/equaliser, for a change.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

But now they are fresh for Fridays game.

It seems like a gamble when it’s put like that.  If it was, it payed off.  I doubt WR is gambling anything ATM though.  When the team sheet came out, there was a muttering that the logic behind the fullbacks was to do with height and the aerial bombardment we might be facing.  Really? Our solid defence changed because Byrne is quite small etc?  We looked so much better after the changes.  WR please don’t overthink every match, let’s play our best team.  The tactics can be tweaked with the players we have, no?

23 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Seriously? That’s when it all started to fall apart. Clarke was imperious for the time he was on the pitch.

Exactly. Clarke won everything in the air and made their hoof ball ineffective. As soon as he went off the game changed and we struggled under the aerial bombardment. Hope it is nothing serious.

18 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

WR please don’t overthink every match, let’s play our best team.  The tactics can be tweaked with the players we have, no?

Really? We have cried out for the last 5 years or so for a manager to have a Plan B rather than Mac 1 and 2 etc doing as you say and just playing our best team and hoping for the best. I am overjoyed, seriously, that WR overthinks every game and looks like he does his homework on every team we play, long may it continue. It won't always work, but he is learning quickly and playing this Division with the players he has. This is promotion form, results not performance I admit, but too many are hung up on the performances - you wont be moaning next season, mark miwurdz!

Archived