Wycombe v Derby, Tuesday 16th February

Kinder

Well that shower down the A52 won 3-0 at Wycombe only last week with an even older 'old timer' scoring twice.

So I think we need to be positive and go at them. Don't fancy sitting back and letting them keep putting balls into our box

all game.

Having said that they had a great win at Huddersfield and we all know the 'Derby way'  We never make it easy for ourselves!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, roboto said:

If we're going to go with 4-4-2 (although I think it was more 4-4-1-1 with Kaz dropping deeper ?) I'd stick with pretty much the same line-up, but drop Waghorn for Roberts and play Jozwiak on the right (where he links up well with Byrne and Roberts on the left). This should give us a lot of natural width and the ability to overload the wings and send crosses into the Wycombe box.

Agree entirely with you. A lot of people have got their sniper's rifle out for Joswiack, yet seem happy to keep playing Waghorn, who seems to be able to nick a goal or two, but only spasmodically, but he is so incredibly wasteful, especially when he gets into one-on-one situations, which he gets presented with regularly. I don't remember him putting a single one of those chances away. He is also rash with his challenges. Kaz needs a run, and perhaps a bit of luck, and should be afforded the same number of chances as both Holmes and Waghorn before anybody pulls the trigger.

Re the Wycombe match - I would like us to do what we did against Middlesborough. A number of people said that we were a bit lacking control in midfield, but in actual fact we more or less missed it out, taking the 'boro on at their own game. I reckon Wycombe will present a similar challenge. It is interesting that yet again we played a team with strikers who were going to give our defence a torrid time, and yet again they had virtually nothing to show for it - only 2 shots on target, and actually nothing else. We seem to be good at shut-outs! Long may it continue.

Gotta start beating teams beneath us in the league.  Win this and we can hopefully start to put a bit of distance inbetween us and the bottom 3.  A comfortable midtable finish would be a massive relief compared to where we were at Christmas.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’ll keep banging the Roos drum when no one else will haha, think he was unfairly dropped when Marshall returned and David has yet to convince me he’s any better at commanding his area etc.

I have to agree. So many times I've seen the ball come in and it's there to be caught but Marshall flaps at it. The only reason Roos gets the stick he does is because of Wembley, some fans just won't let it go and it was the same with keogh in 2014. Roos was unfairly dropped under Cocu when he's a better keeper than Hamer and he's been unfairly dropped this season having put in some outstanding match winning performances.

Will be a physical game like vs Boro so I expect the same 11.

Yes Waggy hasnt done much going forward recently but does offer us more of a physical presence than Roberts & Sibley.

I know a lot of fans are calling for Sibley to start but I dont think Rooney trusts him defensively. He had a very good game vs Birmingham but then an average one vs Sheff W. But as Rooney stated after the game vs Boro, we give away needless freekicks and he referred to Sheff Weds, who gave away that needless freekick, Sibley, and he does it a lot. Then he brings him on at home vs Rotherham and what does he do, from a freekick he heads it back into the 6yard box for them to score an open goal. No shock for me we havent seen him since then.

5 hours ago, roboto said:

If we're going to go with 4-4-2 (although I think it was more 4-4-1-1 with Kaz dropping deeper ?) I'd stick with pretty much the same line-up, but drop Waghorn for Roberts and play Jozwiak on the right (where he links up well with Byrne and Roberts on the left). This should give us a lot of natural width and the ability to overload the wings and send crosses into the Wycombe box.

We just need accurate crosses into the box for our TWO strikers. Dominate them from the kick off.

Would like to keep the strike partnership as seemed they had good link up play. 3-5-2 for me

Marshall 

Mengi     Wiz   Clarke

Byrne.   Shinnie    Knight Buchanan

Roberts*

Kazim        Gregory

Think Joz deserves a rest and show him he isn’t undroppable. Roberts deserves his chance if he is fit. 

*would be happy with Roberts or Sibley.

I expect a very similar game to Rotherham away, hopefully we have learned from that. They will see us as a definite three pointer and there aren't many of them left, so I expect them to be going at it hammer and nail. 

A point would be a decent enough result all things considered.

Marshall 

Bryne wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

waghorn knight Shinnie Buchanan   

Richards Gregory 

Forsyth in for this one with Buchanan pushed further up and waghorn keeps his place - he did play a large part in both our goals on Saturday not that many on here have noticed 

Their 14 home league games have provided them with 2 wins and 8 goals. 

All fine and dandy to give them due respect but we shouldn't fear them. Play on the front foot with 2 big men up front and let's bully them.  

Three points in the bag and midtable beckons. 

Although we should respect them they have only won 4 games this season, I think Rooney will go for it in the first half and get the job done before half time.

We will win this by at least 2 clear goals they are nowhere near as good as Roverram 

Roberts misses out and Edmundson available. Interesting Rooney mentioned the possibility of using Edmundson in midfield.

Could maybe go 352 tomorrow?

Marshall ; Mengi Wisdom Clarke; Byrne Knight Bird Shinnie Buchanan; Gregory CKR

Subs : Roos Forsyth Edmundson McDonald Baningime Sibley JML Jozwiak Waghorn

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Another great pre-match presser from Wayne; I do like how he tells it like it is.

If I was a player I would want to give my all for him.

Is there a link to this press conference Angie ? i can't seem to find it 

Archived