Wycombe v Derby, Tuesday 16th February

Kinder

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Thinking of more of a physical game. Plus our more attacking fullbacks may need a rest for the game on Friday. Hope this goes well. I’d have tried to win this game at all costs then almost write the Watford game off and rest players for the Coventry game as it’s a bit six pointer. Well wait and see. The two full backs rested are usually our best outlets for goals. 

Rooney wants to win both ?

Just now, Ruud Aralliss said:

Hmm thought Buchanan and Byrne have been quite instrumental in results recently ?

agree and think they are very good going forward , this looks like being more solid but I think Byrne and Buchanan have both been defensively solid getting vital blocks especially in last part of MBrough game 

For those who've not seen the lineup in traditional Twitter format:

Surprising with the fullbacks. Hugely disappointing not to see Sibbo even on the bench. Is Watson really a better option? The Man U folk I know rave about Mengi, so let's hope he gets off to a good start for us.

Don't quite get dropping the fullbacks. Maybe wants big lads there to deal with long balls but we just beat Warnock with relative ease at the weekend, and Buchanan is great in the air. Byrne has such a massive impact going forward too. Hopefully its not a "a point on the road will do" attitude, against Wycombe. 

But in Rooney we trust, and I'm excited to see Mengi. 

Just now, 1967Ram said:

Rooney wants to win both ?

Of course. But changing or resting players means it has an affect on the game you are playing. Here he’s put more defensive full backs on (wisdom at rb). Most managers at Lower teams like ours, especially in a congested group of fixtures play stronger teams against the sides they have more of a chance against. It’s not likely we’re going to go and bear Watford but if we lose to Wycombe it’s a massive blow. 

7 minutes ago, DerpyDane said:

No sibley in the squad. Is he injured or does rooney simply not fancy him? 

JML got pulled from the U23 squad last minute the other night, so might be that Sibley's picked up a late injury and JML's been called up to replace him

Changes to the first team make sense. Byrne and Buchanan have had solid runs in the side and Fozzy needs a game to get his fitness up. Perfect opportunity to see what Mengi can do as well.

Considering no Sibley tonight and him not being in the U23s last night, I'm guessing he picked up a knock in training - would explain JML's late omission last night (expected Roberts to be missing instead)

Just now, DerpyDane said:

Might be because his confidence is shot to pieces? Kid is a special talent but rooney does not give him any chances. 

To be fair to Rooney I think he sees what goes on in training as well but I'll be honest and say IMO Sibley has not looked like a first eleven player for some time now, probably since his hat trick at Millwall but lets see what develops he still might come good, needs to cut out the silly challenges as well

I can understand the thinking behind the changes although I wouldn't have predicted it.

We now have a back four with every member over 6ft. I think Rooney is expecting a physical battle and doesn't want anything similar to a repeat of Rotherham, so Byrne and Buchanan sit out for this one. Let's not forget they play a lot of games, a rest can benefit them. They've not been dropped because of poor performance, and the point of having more depth in the squad is that we can actually use it.

Archived