Derby Vs Bristol City 30/1/21 3pm - Matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

A little dig there, intimating that Lawrence would usually think he 'was' fit enough at this point...not sure who is making the dig and at whom! 

Lawrence has been injured - perhaps longer than hoped - and Rooney was stressing the need for fitness and hard work with regards to the demands he puts on the players. So no dig at all imho.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lawrence has been injured - perhaps longer than hoped - and Rooney was stressing the need for fitness and hard work with regards to the demands he puts on the players. So no dig at all imho.

Had only read it then @RoyMac5seen the interview in full now, I wasn't even sure who said it when I posted.

There is definitely a message from Wayne, it wasn't a nothing comment..especially when you hear what he said about Holmes. 

Making the point he expects hard work on the training pitch and more energy on match day from everyone. Not a terribly original message, every new manager says it. Think he is suggesting there wasn't enough movement and energy on the pitch during Cocu's reign. Which would stick in my throat bearing in mind his own lack of fitness. 

Think he is getting much better in interviews though. I really like that he shows his humour, he isn't as rigid now and it comes over as confidence rather than a negative thing. 

PS 'good man'.... Grrrrrr

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Making the point he expects hard work on the training pitch and more energy on match day from everyone. Not a terribly original message, every new manager says it. Think he is suggesting there wasn't enough movement and energy on the pitch during Cocu's reign. Which would stick in my throat bearing in mind his own lack of fitness. 

Not just aimed at Lawrence though. Holmes & Marriott are the first two 'victims', I wonder who else? Cocu picked Rooney, I wonder if Rooney'd pick himself? Maybe make himself do extra training first! ?

19 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Had only read it then @RoyMac5seen the interview in full now, I wasn't even sure who said it when I posted.

There is definitely a message from Wayne, it wasn't a nothing comment..especially when you hear what he said about Holmes. 

Think he is getting much better in interviews though. I really like that he shows his humour, he isn't as rigid now and it comes over as confidence rather than a negative thing. 

PS 'good man'.... Grrrrrr

Totally agree on the 'good man' thing. How condescending did that sound? I'm guessing Wazza would have stuck one on him if they'd been face to face. 

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

He’s improved so quickly, has confidence and is increasingly avoiding the cliches.  And the humour is endearing. Don’t mind the odd ‘erm’. The only thing he now needs to do is stop bringing his Mum along because it’s a bit weird when he keeps looking sideways at her for encouragement 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

He’s improved so quickly, has confidence and is increasingly avoiding the cliches.  And the humour is endearing. Don’t mind the odd ‘erm’. The only thing he now needs to do is stop bringing his Mum along because it’s a bit weird when he keeps looking sideways at her for encouragement 

That's not his mum - it's his latest squeeze..... ?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The way Ryan wrote the tweet is different to how it sounded direct from Rooney (just my opinion)

By all accounts Ferguson was merciless with players who did not deliver. But he didn’t criticise them in public. Don’t think WR should have gone anywhere near this. Should have wished Duane well, told the world he was a star. Then told the squad behind closed doors that his effort was lacking hence his departure 

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

By all accounts Ferguson was merciless with players who did not deliver. But he didn’t criticise them in public. Don’t think WR should have gone anywhere near this. Should have wished Duane well, told the world he was a star. Then told the squad behind closed doors that his effort was lacking hence his departure 

Rubbish.

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Would be good to understand your thinking 

What did he say but that Holmes wasn't 'putting out'. We're paying him (a 'popular player) to do his best for us. The fans love him (!)...he's trying to negotiate a move away. Of course you have to tell it like it is.

On 23/01/2021 at 22:42, Ramarena said:

Martin has four goals and five assists in 28 apps with 11 starts

Kaz has four goals and one assist in 18    Apps with 11 starts

% Goals per game based on apps:

Martin 14%

Kaz 22%

% goals per starts is the same 36% each

% goals for the team (goals and assists) based on apps:

Martin 32%

Kaz 28%

% goals for the team (goals and assists) based on starts:

Martin 82%

Kaz 45%

5 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Martin 14%

Kaz 22%

Martin 32%

Kaz 28%

Martin 82%

Kaz 45%

They've just a few more strikers than we have - they spread it around!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

What did he say but that Holmes wasn't 'putting out'. We're paying him (a 'popular player) to do his best for us. The fans love him (!)...he's trying to negotiate a move away. Of course you have to tell it like it is.

Sure you can tell it like it is. The question is who you tell. 
There’s plenty of benefit in telling the squad that Holmes wasn’t ‘putting out’ hence he was sacked.  

What you’ve not explained is what benefit comes from broadcasting it to the entire football loving public. Very damaging to Duane for a start (and against his nature he’s had to respond). Are you pleased about the damage it does to him? Does it do any good ? 

9 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Martin 14%

Kaz 22%

Martin 32%

Kaz 28%

Martin 82%

Kaz 45%

You cannot doubt Colin's workrate and don't think Martin would fit in to how Rooney wants us to press from the front at times.

CKR has really been a breath of fresh air for his attitude alone and i was a serious doubter but happy to have been proved wrong 

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Sure you can tell it like it is. The question is who you tell. 
There’s plenty of benefit in telling the squad that Holmes wasn’t ‘putting out’ hence he was sacked.  

What you’ve not explained is what benefit comes from broadcasting it to the entire football loving public. Very damaging to Duane for a start (and against his nature he’s had to respond). Are you pleased about the damage it does to him? Does it do any good ? 

I fall somewhere in-between the two of you. Ultimately I think Wayne is really coming out of his shell and I'm warming to him, so I enjoyed the honesty and feeling I was seeing his true thoughts, and they are ones I sympathise with. 

Being ultra-critical, if results were worse it can look like deflection and blame-shifting. That kind of comment only works when everything is going OK for you as a manager. Maybe in time he will find it best to side-step a little more and say 'I can't speak for Duane, you would have to ask him if he felt he was putting everything in or whether his focus was lost.. but I just felt other players were more suited to what I needed'.

13 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Totally agree on the 'good man' thing. How condescending did that sound? I'm guessing Wazza would have stuck one on him if they'd been face to face. 

The 'good man' thing is an Irish colloquialism and probably reflects his Irish ethnicity. I must confess to using the expression myself quite a bit - especially when @sage brings a nice beer with him to drink at the cricket.

Edit: I may have the wrong end of the stick here. Never mind. Put it down to me being decrepit and senile.

Lucky clouds in the sky today. We managed to win at Millwall with this ref.

I'm sat in a different end for this one in my lucky Sunhouse Crazy On The Weekend T-Shirt.

I can feel all your love for the club amongst the chaos. C'mon Mr Evans I believe in you and the lads.

Keep on chasing the dream.

Up The Rams

Archived