Derby Vs Bristol City 30/1/21 3pm - Matchday thread.

Rev

Nice to have a rare weeks preparation time, and possibly some new players to flesh out the squad, along with others returning from illness and injury.

Partnerships building all over the pitch, we're definitely getting stronger week by week, especially at the back.

It would have been nice to be at Pride Park and give Martin a warm welcome, then spend 90 mins blasting the diving, moaning sod, but we'll have to settle for RamsTV instead.

Come on Rooney's Rams!

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After today I'm fairly convinced the best team with the best balance we can put out is:

Roos

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan 

Bielik

Knight    Bird 

Jozwiak         CKR         Sibley

With Bristol most often setting up as a 442 I'd be tempted to stay 3 at the back and in that case I'd go for the same as started today but with Sibley on the left.

52 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

After today I'm fairly convinced the best team with the best balance we can put out is:

Roos

Bielik

Knight    Bird 

With Bristol most often setting up as a 442 I'd be tempted to stay 3 at the back and in that case I'd go for the same as started today but with Sibley on the left.

That ain’t gonna happen. After Rooney singled Shinnie out for special praise there is no way he is going to drop him - and neither would I.

Just now, OohMartWright said:

That ain’t gonna happen. After Rooney singled Shinnie out for special praise there is no way he is going to drop him - and neither would I.

I wouldn't expect it either. I wouldn't even necessarily do it against Bristol but I've got a strong feeling that we need to find a way to get more creativity, ability on the ball and better control in the side to kick on. And I think that highly likely comes from only starting one of Shinnie and Knight.

Think this actually might be a game for the 3-4-3, even though today wasn’t. Bristol are a strong side who are likely to come at us, much like Bournemouth, so I think this could be a similar game. So I’d go with a similar lineup:

Roos

Evans Wisdom Clarke

Byrne Bielik Shinnie Buchanan

Waghorn Kazim-Richards Knight

Still not remotely convinced by Evans at the back, but we literally don’t have any other options. I’ll keep getting pelters for it, but I still don’t think we have enough attacking threat at the moment, and Jozwiak isn’t showing enough quality for me in the final third. We need more goals, and I think Waghorn is more likely to provide those given his past record, so I’d give him another go.

Shinnie has the momentum, and today showed again what he can offer going forward.

I've seen some say it was a simple run and pass to release Kamil, but the fact he could make it after spending all game fighting midfield fires makes him first on the teamsheet, for me at least.

I've been guilty myself of thinking he's not good enough going forward, yet he's building a body of work that suggests opposite, he gives us a base to work from no other midfielder in the squad can offer.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos

Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Bird   Bielik   Shinnie

Jozwiak   Kazim   Knight

I'll be surprised if it's anything else.

I’d switch Bird out for an available attacker and move Knight into midfield, but the rest of that seems about right to me.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a ton of attacking options that can be effective right now. Waghorn and Sibley not at their best or out of favour, Lawrence coming back from injury sometime this season...

Similar again:

Roos
Byrne, Wisdom, Clarke, Buchanan
Knight, Bielik, Shinnie
Sibley, Kazim, Jozwiak

Sibley starting instead of Evans and going back to 4-3-3. Hopefully we may have 1 or 2 new signings to throw into the mix too... off the bench though, no point making drastic changes to a winning team.

Brizzle are another team that are strong in most places in their team except midfield. Bielik vs (potentially) Kasey Palmer? KB will win that battle all day. They've also been playing a right back in midfield in their last couple of games. COYR! Let's make it 3 in a row! ?

16 minutes ago, Rampage said:

In the blue corner we have Kaz and in the red corner we have Chrissie. Who will do better on the day 

Martin has four goals and five assists in 28 apps with 11 starts

Kaz has four goals and one assist in 18    Apps with 11 starts

11 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

You posted exactly what I thought when seeing the team the poster selected ,,, every team needs a shinnie type player ,especially in the championship , he is making himself undroppable and real captain material,,, yes I know it gives Rooney a headache of how to fit certain players in who are now also staking claims but hey that’s a good thing

image.png.d9aa8120271431ccb50c00fdc55d48ea.png

Subs: Foster, MacDonald, Buchanan, Evans, Bird, Holmes, Waghorn, Mitchell-Lawson, Hector-Ingram

Tough call for LB as Buchanan has been playing well. Forsyth has great delivery from crosses though and it seems like we are just missing that final pass at the moment. 

Knight has to play in the middle, he is so much better there

Jozwiak back on the left and give Ibe a chance if he's well enough to play. Otherwise Sibley in on the right as Waghorn has been poor lately.

Forsyth and Byrne have very good delivery so both full backs have to push forward to help with our lack of creativity.  

I know we say it all the time and perhaps this season it's more salient, but this is a huge game for us. A win would really cement the impression of a team slowly growing in confidence and critically, it's mathematically possible that a win could see us leap to 17th place.

Such 'lofty heights' seemed a preposterous proposition not so long ago. Conversely, a loss would see us remain mired in the lower echelons and once again ramp up the pressure on a squad who already have more than enough unwanted distractions.

For my part, I'd be very happy with a battling draw, but will quietly be hoping for win. So often in recent years it's seemed that we're one of those teams that puts a massive dent in Bristol's play-off aspirations and I'd love us to do so again. Will be a bittersweet moment seeing Chrissy back at Pride Park but I'm hopeful nonetheless, that we will see another Matt Clarke masterclass with Chris in his pocket all afternoon. 

21 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Roos

Bielik

Knight    Bird 

How can you drop Shinnie?

22 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Roos

Bielik

Knight    Bird 

Damn, didn’t realise Shinnie was injured, we will miss him, been immense ?

Archived