v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That ITV video yesterday got me thinking. One of their players thought our young lads would feel the pressure more than them as we wouldn't have played in a high pressure game on TV whereas they were seasoned players with a recent promotion under their belt. The UEFA Youth League and numerous games at PPS and on RamsTV immediately sprang to mind. The highlight from the Youth League being the victory over Dortmund (not even a year ago!) where the starting 11 was: Foster, Ebosele, Minkley, Cashin, Buchanan, LThompson, JBrown, Whittaker, Sibley, Archie, Stretton.

Buchanan, Whittaker, Sibley and Stretton are regulars in the matchday squad, whereas Foster and JBrown regularly train with the first team too. Ebosele has only just come back from a nasty injury, Cashin appears to still be out injured, and Minkley picked up a knock in December as well. We'll be lucky if we have more than just LThompson and Archie from last season's U19 team available for this game.

I think this is our problem. I would love to see our absolute best under 23s/18s have a crack at Chorley but that squad only exists on paper now.

So many of the best players are involved with the first team bubble that the reality will be a much watered-down version.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/01/2021 at 23:35, Ghost of Clough said:

Ebosele hasn't played since picking up his serious injury although has been back in training.

Absolutely made up to here this. Found the silence around the seriousness of his injury quite unnerving. For me, Festy is one of the standout talents in our academy. Assuming he recovers fully and retains that blistering turn of foot, I think he'll be a huge player for us not so long down the line.

I watched that and found it a little condescending if I’m honest. No one will understand the pressure these boys have been under since they were 8! Games knowing that being retained depends on it are pretty high pressure even when you’re 10! And having that every season intensifies once it reaches 16s and the pressure of a getting a scholar and again when a pro deal depends on it. Not to mention like you say the games in European youth leagues or FA Youth cup where the entire staff at the club are there judging you.

In terms of real high pressure games, Isaac Hutchinson was in the Southend squad that beat Sunderland on the last day of the season to retain league 1 status in front of Sky TV and 12,000 fans in the stadium! He also played in FA cup last year live on BT as Southend were beaten by Dover in round 1....I hope that’s not an omen!!

47 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Hope these postponement rumours ain’t true.  

I’ve just bought my £10 virtual ticket from the Chorley website, apparently I’m sat next to Jennifer Lopez and Angelina Jolie plus free half time Bovril! ?

Well done O.S.R, ??  the virtual away end is filling up nicely , I didn't think you'd bring this many!

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I’ve just bought my £10 virtual ticket from the Chorley website, apparently I’m sat next to Jennifer Lopez and Angelina Jolie plus free half time Bovril! ?

Brilliant; I donated a fiver last night but think I’ll do this.

The football community supporting each other

Just now, DRBee said:

Are the Chorley lot being covid tested today or before the game? Anybody know?

It’s a mystery to me that Professional footballers with all the procedures in place can have an outbreak.....that seemingly didn’t spread to the u23s group that all went home for Xmas and mingled with families and society? Even more baffling is how it’s affected a pro football club but hasn’t affected any players from Chorley whose players all work (presumably in normal jobs like the rest of us), who shop at Tescos and Sainsbury’s like the rest of us and who have continued to play in an untested environment.....weird that 

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Be careful. Jennifer gets a bit frisky after a Bovril! 

Morning everyone!

Hope you're all looking forward to virtually sit at Victory Park tomorrow. If you really want the full effect, open all your windows and get someone to slowly pour water onto your head as the rain trickles through the gutters in the stands. 

Thank you to everyone who has bought a virtual ticket, you don't understand how much that means to us Chorley fans and how much this FA Cup run has done to our club bank balance.

I am a board member of Chorley FC Supporters Trust and have organised a virtual raffle and virtual golden goal. If you fancy taking part in either of these and perhaps winning some money in the process then the links are below.

Thanks again for your efforts and may the best team win. 

Virtual Golden Goal

Virtual Raffle

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm actually really looking forward to this one. A chance for some of the young lads to make a name for themselves on a bigger stage than they are used to. 

I am too , really looking forward to watching the likes of Duncan etc , hope the polish striker gets a good go too 

Nicholson has done a useful round up of who is out and who could play:

"Jahmal Hector-Ingram, Jack Stretton, Louie Watson, Kornell McDonald, Morgan Whittaker, Kaide Gordon, Josh Shonibare, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson and goalkeeper Emmanuel Idem will not be involved because they have been in and around the first-team squad"

He predicts this starting 11:

Sykes-Kenworthy; Ebosele, Bateman, Solomon, A Brown; Thompson, J Brown, Hutchinson; Wilson, Cybulski, Duncan

Slightly more promising than I had thought. Hutchinson has 40-odd games in league 2, Soloman and J Brown have been involved in the first team before, and you'd have thought Duncan and Ebosele are at least level with Chorley's standard (no disrespect intended). I still think we're underdogs, but it isn't quite as bad as sending out complete novices who are properly out of their depth. 

Archived