v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I'm not trying to argue! Honest!

But, I'm not sure I understand how it is an exceptional year in terms of justifying the playing of reserves and youth players?

Football has been different this year.

But, if my estimate is correct - that the proportion of games cancelled due to the self isolation of League clubs is of the order of 1% - can such a small effect justify playing weakened teams.

(I know that many applaud the playing of weakened teams for many reasons in normal years - but I'm not sure I see why lockdown provides an significant additional justification.)

(Maybe I am trying to argue, a little bit!)

Isn’t this year more condensed meaning we’re already having to play twice a week more often than usual. That’s why there are no replays. There might have only been 1% of games postponed so far but, things are getting worse more games are getting postponed now than earlier at the season and, with increased testing, I doubt it will get much better anytime soon.

I'm just being a little annoying by following a line of argument - but, actually, should the club consider forfeiting the match, rather than fielding a weakened side of U23s and Junior players?

Football is continuing to take place - and there are many good reasons for it, but, can we genuinely argue that football matches are more important than finding ways to keep schools open safely!

If a main reason is so that supporters can watch what is being defined as "elite sport" - then this is  not so that the FA Cup can trundle along at any cost, doing whatever is needed to ensure that arbitrary dates for rounds are achieved!

If we can throw away the need for teams to play their best sides - maybe we should throw away the permission for football matches to go ahead!

And if we can cancel A-levels, we can cancel the FA Cup.

Don't forget ... every family linked to the club has had they're health put at risk in order to allow us fans to continue to watch football. And the positive Coronavirus Test results highlight this. And, it's not just the players and their families, but the families of all staff and workers involved in facilitating the matches, and the wider community from increased rates of infection.

So, maybe, football training and matches can be justified, and maybe the merits outweigh the additional risks, but I think that these merits are reduced if the first team is not playing.

Perhaps the club should consider forfeiting the match if the FA is encouraging the club to field a weakened team?

Can the opportunity for youth players to play Chorley justify increased risks to families and the wider community?

(I'm not saying that we should stop football - but I am questioning the rationale for a match going ahead when the first team is unavailable.)

3 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I'm just being a little annoying by following a line of argument - but, actually, should the club consider forfeiting the match, rather than fielding a weakened side of U23s and Junior players?

Football is continuing to take place - and there are many good reasons for it, but, can we genuinely argue that football matches are more important than finding ways to keep schools open safely!

If a main reason is so that supporters can watch what is being defined as "elite sport" - then this is  not so that the FA Cup can trundle along at any cost, doing whatever is needed to ensure that arbitrary dates for rounds are achieved!

If we can throw away the need for teams to play their best sides - maybe we should throw away the permission for football matches to go ahead!

Don't forget ... every family linked to the club has had they're health put at risk in order to allow us fans to continue to watch football. And the positive Coronavirus Test results highlight this. And, it's not just the players and their families, but the families of all staff and workers involved in facilitating the matches, and the wider community from increased rates of infection.

So, maybe, football training and matches can be justified, and maybe the merits outweigh the additional risks, but I think that these merits are reduced if the first team is not playing.

Perhaps the club should consider forfeiting the match if the FA is encouraging the club to field a weakened team?

Can the opportunity for youth players to play Chorley justify increased risks to families and the wider community?

(I'm not saying that we should stop football - but I am questioning the rationale for a match going ahead when the first team is unavailable.)

Of course football isn't as important as kids education but, cancelling football isn't going to have any impact on safety at school.

Similarly, what difference would it make to A-level if the FA cup was cancelled?

You make it sound like there is a link between the two.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course football isn't as important as kids education but, cancelling football isn't going to have any impact on safety at school.

Similarly, what difference would it make to A-level if the FA cup was cancelled?

You make it sound like there is a link between the two.

You can cut that bit out! They are separate issues. If you want me to explain my thinking ...

(The link to cancelling exams ... is that the FA Cup could be cancelled too. Finishing the FA Cup by a particular date is just something that the FA have decided to do. It is not necessary.

The link to schools ... is that football is being justified on the basis of it being "elite sport" - to the extent that football is continuing when schools are being closed - but that the justification for "elite sport" is undermined if clubs are not fielding their most elite players. (And some have argued that playing youth players would be a good experience - and I am suggesting that providing youth players with an experience (and to fulfill an arbitrary date set by the FA) - may not pass the "Elite Sport" justifications.

Lets be right. Its not a normal season. What does it really matter? Play the fixture. It will be a great experiance for players like Archie Brown,Jordan Brown,Duncan,Hutchinson,Shonibare,Tyree Wilson,Ibrahim,Dixon,Minkley...and a few more. Chorley will certainly have the advantage of strength but these young kids can play. Looking forward to it already.

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

Get this one out if the way then get out of the bottom three.

2 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

You may or may not be aware that out local Rivals Bamber Bridge FC  had a similar episode to you in round 1 qualifying.

They had to Forfit the tie as they couldn't field a team due to Covid outbreak. This was a financial disaster for them. The FA have been very Forcefull this season in the cup

Bamber Bridge have limited playing resources. It is right that Derby are made to play the match and if it is the U18's then that is tough luck on Derby. Derby have a leading Academy but they will find it hard against bigger, stronger and more experienced players. It will be interesting.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Which is the maddest thing of many mad things regarding Covid. What's the point of the country spending billions to develop a massive testing system if you can't use a negative result to let people get back to work rather than twiddling their thumbs in isolation for ten days?

I concur..none of it seems logical.

You've got to think that our youngsters will be chomping at the bit for this one. A great chance for a bit of limelight and to see themselves on tv. I would imagine that some of them will have to be issued with squad numbers and have their name on their shirts for the first time, these shirts will be treasured by those who fall by the wayside, later on.

I would have liked to see our true best U23 players in action.

Foster

Ebosele   Minkley   Bielik   Buchanan

Knight   Bird   Sibley

Whittaker   Stretton   Jozwiak

However, it's a good chance for those who will play to impress and earn a chance in the real first team, or earn good moves to other clubs in the Football League (loan or permanent).

I can see us loosing 3 or 4 nill tbh, hope I am wrong but Chorley have had a good run and will play physical men's football where as our young players will have better touch and skill but they will probably way too much power and rough and tumble. Good chance to prove themselves though. 

3 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

You may or may not be aware that out local Rivals Bamber Bridge FC  had a similar episode to you in round 1 qualifying.

The FA have been very forceful this season in the cup

If you think they're bad you should see what the EFL are like! 

Archived