v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

I expect to see one long term injury in this one for a promising youngster from an over exuberant 50/50 with Big Baz in the first ten minutes whose got overexcited at a chance to play at Anfield in round four . An experienced campaigner will know what to expect and would ride the challenge and mix it appropriately, some young lad from an academy won't.  I know this having been the young lad with destroyed ankle ligaments at 16 when I had high hopes going forward- which finished abruptly -and then morphing into Big Baz  having learnt a painful lesson with less mobility.  

I also know having been Big Baz for a while and somewhat at the other end of the spectrum as a kid, that ability and fitness wise, 18/19 year olds at a top academy with a number of years coaching day in day out should win out if there as good as mooted. 3-1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

You can cut that bit out! They are separate issues. If you want me to explain my thinking ...

(The link to cancelling exams ... is that the FA Cup could be cancelled too. Finishing the FA Cup by a particular date is just something that the FA have decided to do. It is not necessary.

The link to schools ... is that football is being justified on the basis of it being "elite sport" - to the extent that football is continuing when schools are being closed - but that the justification for "elite sport" is undermined if clubs are not fielding their most elite players. (And some have argued that playing youth players would be a good experience - and I am suggesting that providing youth players with an experience (and to fulfill an arbitrary date set by the FA) - may not pass the "Elite Sport" justifications.

You’re really not getting it are you?

Would cancelling the FA Cup allow A-levels to take place? No, of course not so they are is no link whatsoever.

Would cancelling football allow schools to reopen? Of corse not.

Finally, if the FA Cup is to be completed this season then of course it needs to be completed by a certain date. 

Please don’t tell me what I can cut out simply because we disagree.

Lots of interest for this game now - I have not much of an idea if we could even put out a balanced side from the academy players allowed to be available but we will see  - as daft as it is will the pitch be playable at Chorley with all the poor weather about currently?

I know the pitch would be good enough to play the game at pride park but I don’t think we can switch the game from Chorley under the current rules but then again no fans are involved anymore. It will be an interesting lead up to this game.

35 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

will the pitch be playable at Chorley with all the poor weather about currently?

I believe I read that they have a pitch 'tent' to protect it from the weather, but I suspect it won't be in tip top condition! Have our young lads ever played on anything other than the manicured lawns of Grade 1 Academy pitches?

Could be worth a trip to Darley fields this afternoon to get used to a 'real world' pitch!!

(I don't really mean that Chorley can't offer anything better than parks pitch; just a quip.)

5 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I believe I red that they have a pitch 'tent' to protect it from the weather, but I suspect it won't be in tip top condition! Have our young lads ever played on anything other than the manicured lawns of Grade 1 Academy pitches?

Could be worth a trip to Darley fields this afternoon to get used to a 'real world' pitch!!

The pitch is a real mystery , the club have a fantastic Groundsman who does remarkable with the budget he as..however the pitch was totally frozen and the club paid significant amount of money to put a full pitch size tent up with industrial heaters blasting out.

I hear there won't be a problem with the pitch but weather any  it's like any league pitch the players play on ,on a weekly basis is very much in doubt. 

Its proper freezing ,so lucky the club thought ahead and Invested t.b.h

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Lots of interest for this game now - I have not much of an idea if we could even put out a balanced side from the academy players allowed to be available but we will see  - as daft as it is will the pitch be playable at Chorley with all the poor weather about currently?

I know the pitch would be good enough to play the game at pride park but I don’t think we can switch the game from Chorley under the current rules but then again no fans are involved anymore. It will be an interesting lead up to this game.

That wouldn't be possible, in Pearce's statement, he mentioned that the youngsters had nowhere to train because Moor Farm was closed and the Pride Park pitch was being relayed.

On 05/01/2021 at 23:35, Ghost of Clough said:

Ravas is out on loan.

McDonald, JBrown, Ibe amd Duncan will have likely been part of first team training.

I belive Stretton, Shonibare and Minkley have been injured? If Stretton isnt injured, he'll have been in first team training anyway. Ebosele hasn't played since picking up his serious injury although has been back in training.

The very real reality is that we could be fielding our 8th choice GK*, 5th RB, 4th LB*, 8th, 9th and 10th CMs, 7 and 8th wingers*, and 7th CF. 

*including players out on loan.

Wow. 

So more likely 

Idem/Yates/Foster

Bardell Solomon Wassall A Brown

Thompson Bateman

Wilson Olamide Hutchinson

Cresswell

Bench from GK, Dixon, Aghatise and anybody who is fit.

Looking at a couple of players who have trained with the first team/played in preseason matches, Hutchinson who has played a few league games, and a couple who have had loans right down the leagues. 

I think we might see 1 or 2 of the others as we don't know who is training with who. I can't see Duncan and Brown necessarily being with first team as neither would be near the bench at the moment. Not sure what Ibe's disciplinary means - could be training with 23s or told to stay away. 

Maybe we'll emergency loan a keeper? 

One thing is for sure it will be interesting to see, but also a very big ask. Throwing a choice couple in would have been okay, but if we're talking potentially 11 debuts. The stage is set for for someone to shine and get nearer the first team picture. Wilson possibly the most likely for me. 

Our squad numbers are going to hit the 70s this season. 

17 minutes ago, swanny said:

just got my virtual ticket. looking forward to the game now more than i was before. this way theres no pressure on us to win, as we are playing all the kids, and we get to see a few of them up against older players. 

Good on you pal, very much appreciated by Chorley football club?

Right or wrong, earlier this season, i was thinking we should just play the kids. Now that's happening, im looking forward to seeing what our academy has to offer. Im also going to buy a virtual ticket to help Chorley, i would have gone to this, if we were allowed. 

Archived