New Manager

dantheram

7 hours ago, YouRams said:

People mentioning Mick McCarthy, I did think he was being overly complimentary of us on the box the other day, Mels tapped him up director of football or some title with Rooney underneath maybe? 

Don’t know how I’d feel about that personally! 

Me after reading this

image.gif.9fb204b876c2a68b6f22e1996e8b3ed1.gif

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

It’s about time that this changed in my opinion. 
If there’s any ambition left at all we must pursue every avenue. 

What, pay Cocu and his staff off who are on long contracts and then on top pay compensation to another club. I don’t think so ....

12 hours ago, GrimsbyRam said:

I agree sadly.  Quite frankly he cannot do any worse  at the moment than randomly selecting 11 players to put out in some form of formation and in the hope that we do not concede more than one goal.  That is currently how I see our game plan this season..  

The only hope is that we gets a decent coach to come in with him and plays expansive football.  Make no mistake the Sun's story will have been leaked purposely by somebody.  Think the Gregory/Phelan link is wide of the mark.  After all why would Phelan leave his role as Man Utd assistant to come here?  McClaren would be the obvious coach when Rooney is appointed.

Leaked by Rebekah Vardy allegedly! ?

8 hours ago, DcfcMatt said:

Steve McClaren on Sky Sports news talking about football in general. I have no doubt that he would get this set of players playing attractive attacking football, and it wouldn't take him long. His impact in both his previous stints at the club was immediate.

And we are wondering why we've not seen PL football in over 10 years, constantly going back to Steve McClaren. His football was as pedestrian as Cocu's during his 2nd stint!

5 hours ago, Dava75 said:

Not always......

We always turned up against Forest and Leeds to but in the main it was pretty poor stuff to watch. I always thought with Clough he could spot a player but was very stubborn and set in his ways and Mac really turned that squad around and got the best out of them.

That Yeovil goal was definitely under Clough. We won 3-0. We also beat Millwall 5-1 at the den not long after but in between those games we had a 0-3 loss at home to Burnley and the insipid 1-0 defeat to the Red Dogs which cost him his job.

He came through some dross to build a team but couldn’t get the best out of them week in week out, mac came in and we soared.

I think there are parallels here and we may have to accept more dross before it gets better. It took clough 5 years and someone else to take us on and you know what the common factor was then to now, we had no money and had to transform and rebuild a bloated expensive system aging underperforming squad. 

9 hours ago, nottingram said:

Why?

Just feels very recency biasy to me. They were absolutely terrible in the first half of the season and good in the second half of the season but even without the deduction would’ve finished below us. Then you have that the vast majority of their teams have gone to teams who finished above them, again with or without deduction - so if the players are good enough individually to play for teams who finished higher than Wigan last season, was the manager holding all of them back? 

I also can’t see how people can believe with any confidence that it wouldn’t be Rooney

Quite right. Haven't we learnt from Nigel "got Leicester up" Pearson?

Cook feels like the managerial equivalent of Nick Blackman. B4 will be incandescent!

?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How so? He’s had plenty of promotions and did an almost miracle with Wigan?

He's had 3 in 14 years, 2 from league 2, one from league 1. Plus some times in Ireland with Cup runs.

He's had as many down times - i mean a mix of departures and relegation. 

But most people appear to be cheerleading him on the basis of half a season at Wigan.

Why would he be a messiah for this group of players?

Archived