New Manager

dantheram

1 hour ago, Rambalin said:

I think the mods should lock this thread or any other thread that pops up till there is a managerial vacancy at the club. 

Not only is it disrespectful to the current manager and staff but to the club. 

Then surely we should close any transfer threads as that is disrespectful to our current players? ?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Our away record stopped us reaching the play offs with Nigel Clough, I'd rather give McClaren the job again.

Are the club financially in a position to get rid of Cocu? Highly doubtful. Who would we replace him with, Rosenior? A rookie manager trying to steer us clear of relegation? 

Unless Cocu is stuck in the relegation zone for more than a month, he ain't going nowhere. We're not going to be relegated this season. The quality of the team is way too good. If we play our strongest side and still play awful then I'd be pointing the finger at the manager. We've got a good championship squad in my view. If we get a thumping from Forest then I think the majority of fans are unfortunately going to turn on Cocu, whether Mel likes it or not.

The only problem with ‘we’re not going to be relegated’ is it requires, what was that thing again? 
oh yeah...goals.

2 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Just another downside to picking rooney as well , let's just pretend he does well , how long before he does a lampard ? . Get a normal manager eddie howe, paul cook , paul Simpson. Only thing with eddie howe were would we stand with ibe as howe shoved him in reserves to rot for a year . 

I've seen accounts from numerous players suggesting Howe doesn't get on with established professionals.  Didn't he also fall out with Begovic and Defoe or did I imagine that?  That is the last thing we need.

11 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

If the owner had any sense what so ever Paul Cook should be sounded out.

Why?

Just feels very recency biasy to me. They were absolutely terrible in the first half of the season and good in the second half of the season but even without the deduction would’ve finished below us. Then you have that the vast majority of their teams have gone to teams who finished above them, again with or without deduction - so if the players are good enough individually to play for teams who finished higher than Wigan last season, was the manager holding all of them back? 

I also can’t see how people can believe with any confidence that it wouldn’t be Rooney

Always backed Cocu but I would pull the trigger on this now to out it out of its misery.

Wassall in v. Forest, and then look at Cook as an option.  I would not be entirely opposed to Mad Mick - yes, he doesn't play total football, but he would bring stability at the very least, has had multiple promotions, and had Ipswich overperforming (look at the lack of quality in that squad and what happened the minute he left) 

1 minute ago, Rampant said:

Mark Robins?

Karl Robinson?

Mark Robins would be an interesting choice. Underwhelming on paper but actually looks to play good football and has a couple of promotions to the championship on his CV. 

Robinson I’m less than enthused by.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think Wassall would do alright honestly. If not, as mentioned plenty of times Cook is a good option. 

I know Cook has a couple of promotions from lower levels on his CV, but do you not think at Championship level it might be a bit of a managerial version of Nick Blackman, with one good half season out of 4? I certainly don’t think he’d have survived here, or maybe been accepted by fans - I don’t know Mel’s thoughts - with a first half of last season like Wigan had. I accept their second half of the season was excellent but then again ours was pretty good too and Wigan finished below us with or without deduction. Given its now widely accepted they had an excellent squad, with the vast majority if not all getting moves to teams superior to Wigan, might it not be the case that he underperformed with that set of players?

What is true, I suppose, is that he was involved in the building of that squad, but it took time. 

I certainly don’t think it’s a sure fire improvement.

Edit: if we do get rid of Cocu I imagine it will be someone already on the payroll to replace him. I’d much prefer Wassall to Rooney.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I know Cook has a couple of promotions from lower levels on his CV, but do you not think at Championship level it might be a bit of a managerial version of Nick Blackman, with one good half season out of 4? I certainly don’t think he’d have survived here, or maybe been accepted by fans - I don’t know Mel’s thoughts - with a first half of last season like Wigan had. I accept their second half of the season was excellent but then again ours was pretty good too and Wigan finished below us with or without deduction. Given its now widely accepted they had an excellent squad, with the vast majority if not all getting moves to teams superior to Wigan, might it not be the case that he underperformed with that set of players?

What is true, I suppose, is that he was involved in the building of that squad, but it took time. 

I certainly don’t think it’s a sure fire improvement.

Edit: if we do get rid of Cocu I imagine it will be someone already on the payroll to replace him. I’d much prefer Wassall to Rooney.

He did build that Wigan squad without spending too much money to be fair to him, and they also were better than us in the second half of the season, maybe you can argue he underperformed in the first half, or it just really clicked in the second so if they had the chance to stay up he would have had a good year there this season. 

It might not be a guaranteed improvement, but we do need to change course in my opinion. We're sinking fast. 

Eddie Howe, Paul Cook or Big Sam if we can tempt any of them. 

Eddie Howe had a sustained period of success with Bournemouth, taking them up the leagues and giving them a few years in the Prem. Great CV and he would be my top choice. Just think of the increase in club stature he brought to Bournemouth during his time there! He won't be available for long. 

Paul Cook has won league titles in his last three managerial appointments. He had a poor first half of the season with Wigan, but then guided them to an epic finish. He knows English football and his sides play good football. 

Big Sam is an outside shot. I doubt he'd be interested in taking on a Championship club at this stage of his career, but his CV speaks for itself. 

Archived