New Manager

dantheram

1 minute ago, chewbacca said:

I sincerely hope that Mel, hopefully with the aid of what Stevie Mac has seen already will go all out to secure an established manager to get us out of this mess ASAP, even if that is the Mac temporarily. We cannot seriously carry on like this any longer, surely even R and R can see that this is tarnishing any reputation for a future in management they think they have. And lastly I really hope (the majority) of the players got up this morning and took a long hard look in the mirror and thought about how pathetic there effort to perform and fight to get out of this mess really is, time to stand up and be counted, everyone connected with my beloved football club.

Agreed. I would just give the job to Mac for now. How about Paul Cook with McClaren as coach/ assistant. We need something ASAP anyway. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Maybe but Pearson seemed to want to change quite a lot, maybe even overhaul everything and we were not winning a lot of matches, no wonder Mel Morris was looking closely at him. A poor appointment ultimately and some of those matches were bad to watch. 

Wrong fit at the time, would make more sense appointing him now.

I mostly remember Pearson as trying to break something that had needed some tuning. Right now, we're broken.

When the takeover goes through I think the new owners will want a well known worldwide name associated with the club and so sadly think from their point of view Rooney fits the bill-while hes still playing they are ok with that but would not be surprised to see Mac in charge till the end of the season and the Rooney take over from next.

I think we all need to accept that nothing will change on the management front until the takeover is completed or dismissed.

For us fans it's horrible to see this unfold - like watching a wounded animal suffer in pain. Only once the takeover talk is resolved can we move on - either with 'a trip to the vets' or 'a shovel to the back of the head!'

Right now, I don't care which it is.

We need to see something today, no way I can be putting up with another Rooney interview, after putting in that absolute shower of a display and then not having the decency to address the media after.

And I dont think I can handle a Liam Rosenior text book interview either.

I've said his name so often, but if I was Mel I would ruffle absolute feathers, go to Boro and tell them to name their price and steal Warnock from them.

8 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Maybe but Pearson seemed to want to change quite a lot, maybe even overhaul everything and we were not winning a lot of matches, no wonder Mel Morris was looking closely at him. A poor appointment ultimately and some of those matches were bad to watch. 

He hardly had chance with the number off games he was in charge, I like Mel and have a great deal of empathy for him. A fan/owner and trying not to meddle must be difficult. But if he employed Pearson he should have been stronger and not meddled.

2 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I think we all need to accept that nothing will change on the management front until the takeover is completed or dismissed.

For us fans it's horrible to see this unfold - like watching a wounded animal suffer in pain. Only once the takeover talk is resolved can we move on - either with 'a trip to the vets' or 'a shovel to the back of the head!'

Right now, I don't care which it is.

It's plausable they get McClaren to take the dituies until the takeover happens, having got him into the club and with the results continuing to be bad. But I think that's the only move likely to happen before new ownership.

2 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

He hardly had chance with the number off games he was in charge, I like Mel and have a great deal of empathy for him. A fan/owner and trying not to meddle must be difficult. But if he employed Pearson he should have been stronger and not meddled.

Maybe. I just remember a distinct drop in performances and results really early on when Pearson was in charge. I think ultimately, we had better seasons after that point and it’s a shame we have dropped like a stone this year. 

16 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

For my two pennies worth Mel should have stayed away from the training ground when he actually made the right appointment in Pearson. If you read about Pearson and his methods he has a very specific way of starting his appointments. Working out who are principally the characters he wants and more importantly the ones he wants away from the club.

Yes he ruffles feathers but once he settles with his team he builds a complete unit, it really is a shame Mel could not keep out of it, he knew the type of character he employed. I suppose it's a bit late now that he has probably learnt his lesson.  

Pearson would have completely steered us away from this shower we have to put up with. 

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Paul Cook in now!! with his own choice of staff whether that be Rosenior and co but give it to Cook until the end of the season and then see if he's earnt the right to manage a big club....he deserves a chance IMO

So you are advocating another experiment until the end of the season to see if another manager is good enough or not? Paul Cook has only managed at this level at Wigan. His stats are skewed by a purple patch at the end of last season and as other posters have pointed out, he went on a run of one win in 32 away games prior to that. Yes he did well in the lower leagues winning league two at Chesterfield and Portsmouth. On both occasions he had players at his disposal who were comfortably too good for league Two and a centre forward at Chesterfield who was banging them in for fun. He left Chesterfield under a bit of a cloud when Portsmouth met his release clause but tbf he probably saw the writing on the wall given what's happened there since. I would also say, having watched his Chesterfield side a lot, that they did play good football however his players then were light ahead in terms of physicality, effort and attitude than this sorry bunch we have at Derby now

2 minutes ago, chezzyram said:

So you are advocating another experiment until the end of the season to see if another manager is good enough or not? Paul Cook has only managed at this level at Wigan. His stats are skewed by a purple patch at the end of last season and as other posters have pointed out, he went on a run of one win in 32 away games prior to that. Yes he did well in the lower leagues winning league two at Chesterfield and Portsmouth. On both occasions he had players at his disposal who were comfortably too good for league Two and a centre forward at Chesterfield who was banging them in for fun. He left Chesterfield under a bit of a cloud when Portsmouth met his release clause but tbf he probably saw the writing on the wall given what's happened there since. I would also say, having watched his Chesterfield side a lot, that they did play good football however his players then were light ahead in terms of physicality, effort and attitude than this sorry bunch we have at Derby now

yes i am advocating Paul Cook to get us out of trouble , he has a no nonsense approach and his Wigan side went toe to toe with Man City in the cup where City where on top form at the time playing extremely well and Wigan were a joy to watch. he gets his sides playing good attacking football...he was under severe restrictions at Wigan and yet got them playing some decent stuff and kept clean sheets, so yes I'd like him to be given a chance...I'm not worried about him leaving on a cloud....give him a short term deal to get us up the table and take it from there.he knows this division and will put up with no nonsense....I do agree though that the players we have might need more than that to get them going hence why I said go with mainly the kids and get a striker or two in jan to help

If we hire John Terry I'll genuinely be gutted. At this point the only people that want John Terry or Wayne Rooney to get the Derby job are their ex-footballer mates in the national media working as pundits. It makes great headlines for reporters and that's about it. 

He could do well, however could isn't good enough right now... I just want my club to recognised for their achievements on the pitch for a change rather than the next big name passing through.

I was against a 'boring appointment' like Paul Cook at first, now I'm practically begging for him or someone similar to be offered the job.

If Terry gets the job I think there'll be a wave of negativity towards it, social media is an echo chamber but all of the fans and the local media are now on the same page that what we need is experience, and now!

John Terry would be fine if he brings a decent experienced number 2 with him. 

Id be more than happy with JT and Steve Holland. 

JT has been a coach at Aston Villa and this is his 3rd season.

They've been promoted, stayed up and now are having a great season.

How much impact does he have? Who knows?

All I know is if it's a choice between John Terry and the current regime. Then it's a no brainer.

4 minutes ago, DeMontfortRam said:

If we hire John Terry I'll genuinely be gutted. At this point the only people that want John Terry or Wayne Rooney to get the Derby job are their ex-footballer mates in the national media working as pundits. It makes great headlines for reporters and that's about it. 

He could do well, however could isn't good enough right now... I just want my club to recognised for their achievements on the pitch for a change rather than the next big name passing through.

I was against a 'boring appointment' like Paul Cook at first, now I'm practically begging for him or someone similar to be offered the job.

If Terry gets the job I think there'll be a wave of negativity towards it, social media is an echo chamber but all of the fans and the local media are now on the same page that what we need is experience, and now!

I would hope fans would give whoever is in charge a chance. I think Paul Cook would be an exciting appointment thanks to his league titles as manager. I like the idea of Cook or Howe but would support Terry or anyone when they are appointed. 

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

All I know is if it's a choice between John Terry and the current regime. Then it's a no brainer.

After last night, I’d take that potato photoshopped in the Derby away kit over the current regime!

Even though he wouldn't be my first choice, a lot of former Chelsea players have always spoke about how Frank and Terry were the ones to motivate and drag players up when they're weren't performing or training hard enough.

Terry as a player had really high standards and expectations, and would constantly be barking orders. I'm sure he'd sort of the defence too.

Archived