Managerial - how happy were you with them....

RamNut

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough - 8

McClaren 1 - 9 (would have been 8 but it’s was the fact we had Simmo and Eric as well!)
Clement - 4 - couldn’t believe we were paying a fortune to someone so inexperienced never had a good feeling.

Wassall - 3 - But he did ok

Pearson - 8 - Definitely got that one wrong

McClaren 2 - 7

Rowett - 7

Lampard - 7

Cocu - 8

The Commitee - 1

Rooney - 2

42 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

clough senior - was already manager

clough junior - 8 prodigal son

mcclaren 1 - 8 because of previous links under TBE

clement - 7 because of media build up

wassall / redknapp - 7 happy for Wassall to get a chance, not happy they brought Redknapp in

pearson - 7 sold on what he did at Leicester

Mcclaren 2 - 6 uneasy about the return

rowett - 7 because I like ex-Derby players returning, feel there's a connection

lampard - 8 because it was fresh and not recycling the old guard

cocu - 8 because I thought it would continue the excitement, and again was not recycling the old guard

the Four man committee - 0 farcical situation

rooney - 5 think he may become a good manager, not sure he has any kind of bond with the club more about him, so torn

agree with the comments

Clough - 7: The ‘son of God’, I saw the story break on Sky Sports, and got caught up in the name and relative fan fare. It was destiny he would lead us to success, right?

McClaren 1 - 4: I was disappointed to see Clough go, I felt we had begun to turn a corner and the pieces were coming together, in a season a so we would be there. Mac had had his poor spell and Forest and the England failure still followed him around in my eyes.

Clement - 5: Gutted when Mac went, despite my anger at the Reading game and Newcastle links (at least make them pay for him). Clement was uninspiring but we had great players already and surely Carlo would lend him a couple to get us over the line...

Wassall / Redknapp - 2: Didn’t want either and expected the decline started by Clement to continue.

Pearson - 0: I absolutely despise the man. Hate him. Furious he was considered, gutted he got it. Only went to one whilst he was here and that was because someone got me a ticket without asking if I’d want one.

Mcclaren 2 - 7: I wanted to put 10, but that was probably a lot of excitement at Pearson going. Didn’t really agree with the appointment but wasn’t too unhappy with it, mainly delighted Pearson had gone.

Rowett - 6: Talks a good game does Gaz. Didn’t agree with sacking Mac II, and didn’t think much to Rowett’s football prior to us. Was hopeful he would change to suit the squad and he did have a good reputation 

Lampard - 9: Buzzing for this one. One of the golden generation was here. Enjoyed the attention. Felt he was smart enough to take us forward, young enough to have new ideas and Morris was a good number two for the youth.

Cocu - 8: Big reputation, great vision, was going to continue what was put into place and continue to push us onwards with a squad littered with the best our academy had to offer.

the Four man committee - 1: It’s four inexperienced men managing a football club in a precarious situation, what is there to be excited about?

Rooney - 1: It’s just more structure to the previous four. Nothing new or exciting there.

3 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

clough - 5 didn’t enjoy his tenure, always felt if his name wasnt Clough he’d have been sacked way before he actually was

mcclaren 1 - 7 enjoyable attacking football (gets a 7 for the 5-0 Gump Thumping alone)

clement - 7 just let himself and us  down, could’ve worked

wassall / redknapp - 4 needs must I guess  

pearson - 8 was genuinely happy when appointed, thought he was much needed at the time  

Mcclaren 2 - 4 good to Christmas and we all know what happened then!

rowett- 6 Fulham away defines his tenure ??

lampard - 6 didn’t think he was as great as everyone thought, there were plenty of occasions during his season where we were absolute rubbish

cocu -6 so disappointed for him and feel the players downed tools on him

the Four man committee - 0 just a farce ??

rooney - 3 not going to work needs a strong manager to work under and learn the ropes. Maybe a future DCFC manager though. 

Incredible foresight

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

on a scale of 1-10 how excited / happy were you with the following  managerial appointments at the time of their first announcement - not with the benefit of hindsight (in order)

clough                          - 6

mcclaren 1                   - 5 (I should've been much happier with hindsight considering what he did with Twente)

clement                        - 9

wassall / redknapp       - 2

pearson                         - 9

Mcclaren 2                    - 10

rowett                            - 6

lampard                          - 7

cocu                                - 10

the Four man committee  - 1

rooney                                - 1

clough       2

mcclaren   9

clement     5

wassall 1 / redknapp when he starting running the show 8

pearson    7

Mcclaren  4 - already failed but giving him 3 marks because was happy to see end of Pearson

rowett      1  

lampard   8

cocu         5 - got to be honest I had to google to see what he had achieved in management 

the Four man committee - 5

rooney - 10 

Clough

Pre = 9. I was really pleased. Prodigal son etc... I also felt it was a sensible appointment and he was someone who would build responsibly.

Post = 7. I was disappointed he got the boot. Yes, his teams could be hugely frustrating and his stubbornness and terseness were not particularly endearing qualities, but he'd done what had been asked of him. The wage bill had been reduced massively. He'd made do with little money to spend, and he'd started to introduce and build around academy players.

McClaren 1

Pre = 9. I think McClaren is a great coach. He was obviously a huge factor in what was achieved under Jim Smith. I was a little wary given his abject failure at Forest, but was massively enthused about Simmo coming in with him, as I think he's a really good manager in his own right.

Post = 9. Amazing. One of my favourite periods following the club. The decision to sack him was and remains utterly ridiculous.

Clement

Pre = 7. Enthused, but wary. Obviously it's difficult to judge someone on their own merits when they've only ever been part of someone else's backroom team, but it bothered me that people spoke so much about about Ancelotti. We weren't getting Ancelotti, we were getting an unknown.

Post = 4. This has since softened to a 5 or 6, but I acknowledge that because I never wanted McClaren sacked I didn't give Clement a fair assessment. I was worried about how much he spent in the summer, and unfortunately that proved to be a big problem for the club for years to come. He did have us 4th when he was sacked though, so we were decent on the pitch.

Wassall (I removed Redknapp because I don't think he added anything other than assuage some of our more negative fans who were moaning about Wassall's lack of experience.)

Pre = 7. I knew Wassall was a big part of what we achieved at academy level. I liked the idea of promoting from within.

Post = 7. I'm perplexed as to why a large section of our supporters are so negative about his tenure. His win rate is excellent. He played good football. He got us into the play offs. Yes, the Rotherham and Hull first leg performances were shambolic, but I think these two bad games are allowed to disproportionately overshadow the good.

Pearson

Pre = 4. Not a happy bunny. For me Pearson's style was the antithesis of what I'd enjoyed so thoroughly the previous few seasons. I didn't think he was a good fit for the squad of players we had at our disposal.

Post = 2. Dreadful. Awful football. Hugely damaging transfer decisions. Previously dangerous players were completely nullified under his system.

Mcclaren 2

Pre = 9. Thank duck that's over, now let's get back to winning.

Post = 7. Largely, we did get back to winning ways. We moved away from the relegation zone and turned into serious play off contenders. It was becoming clear that it wasn't going to be as simple as rehiring McClaren and returning to how things were in 13/14. His transfers were, again, worrying. Signing Nugent made me fearful of what he would do in the summer window.

Rowett

Pre = 3. I'm nearly done at this point. McClaren undeservedly sacked yet again and we get this jumped up git who spent his post match interview crowing about snatching and undeserved point after his Birmingham team had been played off the park for 85 minutes. It worried me that he seemed to believe getting battered for the majority of the game was fine, so long as you could lump a few long balls into the box and nick a draw.

Post = 4. I hated the football under Rowett. All his pre season talk about tracking the players and assessing their lifestyles reminded me of the sports pseudo science mumbo jumbo that Clement was so enamored with. I was apoplectic when it became obvious he couldn't wait to offload Hughes. The 2nd leg play off game against Fulham was the perfect example of Rowett's utter paucity of ambition in the way he approaches the game. He gets the extra point for at least making the play offs and for getting a song out of Vydra. The latter being hugely important for the club's finances.

Lampard

Pre = 5. I didn't like the idea of a superstar player simply walking into a Championship job based on what he'd achieved in his playing career. On the positive side, he talked a good game and I was very pleased the Jody Morris came with him.

Post = 7. The season was really good fun. We had some great cup runs and Lampard started using academy players, which had been non existent under Rowett. It was a little worrying just how reliant we were on our loan signings. The play off come back against Leeds was magical.

Cocu

Pre = 8. What he'd achieved at PSV was genuinely impressive and I was prepared to write off his failure in Turkey as Fenerbahce being a basket case of a club.

Post = 5. Evidently I forgot that Derby are also a basket case of a club. I think he did a great job at using our talented academy players and I was satisfied with where we finished last season. I think he's been badly let down by a group of arrogant and lazy players, but accept that ultimately it's his job as manager to find a way to motivate them, so he must carry the can for our abysmal start this season.

the Four man committee

Pre = 0. A complete waste of time. Cover for Rooney if things continued to go poorly.

Post = There's no point in rating 2 games.

Rooney

Pre = 2. When compared to Lampard we have all the negatives of an untried and untested manager without any of the positives of an engaging and motivating personality or the presence of a promising no.2 with more experience.

Clough - it seemed a gamble based on his managerial experience and at the time, it seemed too big of a job to get us back on track. I felt nervous about our prospects. But by the end, we saw what a solid (if unspectacular) job he had done to stabilise the club. Before = 4; After = 6.

McClaren - to be honest, I despaired at the appointment as it seemed as though his career trajectory was taking a sharp vertical drop. It seemed a laughable appointment at the time, but within weeks, I was a convert and by the end I was disappointed to see him leave. Before = 2; After = 8

Clement - with the squad we had at the time and with his coaching pedigree, I thought we would coast to promotion. On paper it seemed a potentially shrewd appointment. But by the end, support had deserted him. I think Mel pulled the trigger too soon. Before = 7; After = 6

Wassall - at first, I wasn’t a fan but over time I grew to appreciate him more and more and on reflection, he should have been given a chance at the job full time. Before = 4; After = 7

Pearson - initially thought he was a good fit for us and we’d kick on, but it all unravelled very quickly and as we know, he was swiftly axed. Given it was his first season in charge, I think Mel acted too soon. He could have grown into the role. Before = 8; After = 5

McClaren - glad to have him back and enjoyed the initial impact he had. That season should have been a free hit. Never understood why Mel fired him. Before = 8; After = 8

Rowett - was too disappointed over McClaren’s sacking to really appreciate or warm to Rowett at any point. Mainly enjoyed Vydra proving all of his doubters wrong. By the end, I was relieved to see him go after the Fulham away farce. He was decent but too cautious and pragmatic to take us to the next level. Before = 5; After = 6

Lampard - was sceptical about Lampard at first, but then seeing the quality of signing he attracted and how we impressed in pre-season, I felt more confident in him. As time went on, he’d get our hopes up and produced an undeniable feel good factor but disappointment swiftly followed. The way he left left a very sour taste. If he had stayed longer and committed to finishing the job, he probably would have been my favourite manager since Burley or Davies. Before = 5; After = 3

Cocu - thought it was a massive coup but the timing seemed a little off. Had reservations about his suitability for a tough job in the Championship but was desperate for him to succeed so we could move on from Lampard. Really hoped he would have a Bielsa like effect. Realised in the winter, this was not ever going to be the case and he was not the right man for the job. Before = 8; After = 5

The committee - looked doomed to fail from start to finish. All involved were too close to previous failings of the management team and showed muddled and flawed thinking of key people behind the scenes. Before = 0; After = -1

Rooney - timing seemed all wrong as he got the job under a cloud and at a time when we were crying out for a safe and experienced pair of hands. Farcical decision and shows the mess the club is in. But if he wins 4-5 games between now and January, support for him will grow. Before = 0; After = ?

14 hours ago, RamNut said:

on a scale of 1-10 how excited / happy were you with the following  managerial appointments at the time of their first announcement - not with the benefit of hindsight (in order)

clough - meh

mcclaren 1 - meh 

clement - meh 

wassall / redknapp - meh 

pearson - meh

Mcclaren 2 - threw up with excitement 

rowett - meh 

lampard - meh

cocu - meh 

the Four man committee - meh

rooney - threw up in disgust 

11 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m not having everyone claiming to be excited with Mac1?

Would be very interesting to revisit the threads from the time he was appointed and see how the marks being given on this thread marry up with the comments being made at the time.

I remember there being a lot of talk of him being a failure and a coach rather than a manager.

clough - 10

mcclaren 1 - 5

clement - 5

wassall / redknapp - 0

pearson - 8

Mcclaren 2 - 10

rowett - 8

lampard - 0

cocu - 9

the Four man committee - 5

rooney - 10

And I think those scores also reflect how disappointed I was when they left...(as in I was delighted when Frank and Ricky Butcher went back to the car lot)

Archived