Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

Blackburn play with Brereton & Armstrong starting together every game, with Gallagher usually coming off the bench, so I'm not sure they're actually playing a true 4-3-3.

Against us at least Brereton looked quite physical and strong, and actually quite a decent hold-up player, and they used him as an outlet to win & hold the ball up front on a number of occasions. He certainly gave MTW nightmares.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Good point, even if you take them away, he's still scored 4 MORE goals (80% more goals) than we have as an entire team. 

Blackburn have scored 25 goals this season already, under many considered a dinosaur in Mowbray, which at our current rate would take 60 games to get to - almost equating to a full season and a half - all by playing with Armstrong as the centre forward of a three man attack! 

I'm just pointing out when we start substituting technical ability in favour of physical attributes then we're going down the wrong path. You can play football in a number of ways, even if the striker can't win headers you aren't forced to play him in that way.  

Boro F9 A5 this season; not looking like a goal fest tonight but who knows

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Blackburn play with Brereton & Armstrong starting together every game, with Gallagher usually coming off the bench, so I'm not sure they're actually playing a true 4-3-3.

Against us at least Brereton looked quite physical and strong, and actually quite a decent hold-up player, and they used him as a physical outlet on a  number of occasions. He certainly gave MTW nightmares.

It's very much 4-3-3. Brereton plays on the wing. He has been ridicously bad before, but this season is has started to produce something else than diving.

From now on their tactic may change a bit as Dack is returning to fitness.

9 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Against us at least Brereton looked quite physical and strong, and actually quite a decent hold-up player, and they used him as an outlet to win & hold the ball up front on a number of occasions. He certainly gave MTW nightmares.

Harvey Elliott starts on the wing. At the start of the season it was Dolan

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Good point, even if you take them away, he's still scored 4 MORE goals (80% more goals) than we have as an entire team. 

Blackburn have scored 25 goals this season already, under many considered a dinosaur in Mowbray, which at our current rate would take 60 games to get to - almost equating to a full season and a half - all by playing with Armstrong as the centre forward of a three man attack! 

I'm just pointing out when we start substituting technical ability in favour of physical attributes then we're going down the wrong path. You can play football in a number of ways, even if the striker can't win headers you aren't forced to play him in that way.  

Granted, but it still does not warrant not giving the guy a decent chance. He was signed for some purpose surely. I would still wager that he would be a better option to link up play rather than the yet unproven youngsters.  2 five minute cameo's is hardly enough to write the guy off. 

Just now, dlm77 said:

Granted, but it still does not warrant not giving the guy a decent chance. He was signed for some purpose surely. I would still wager that he would be a better option to link up play rather than the yet unproven youngsters.  2 five minute cameo's is hardly enough to write the guy off. 

He was signed as a last minute backup to Waghorn and Rooney, due to missing out on our preferred starter - Dursun

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He was signed as a last minute backup to Waghorn and Rooney, due to missing out on our preferred starter - Dursun

I seem to remember he'd asked to train with us because he was without a club in the summer and things just worked out we needed "a big striker" and he's obviously good to have around and not costing a lot and expectations are he'll be cover and come on to bully centre backs for the last ten from time to time.

Don't think he'd have got a deal if he hadn't been training with us already AND we had nobody else to go for.

Expectations should be in line with that. We didn't sign him because we thought he'd play a lot of games, score a lot of goals and be a big part of the season. For saying that, him and Shinnie in the side against a Warnock team to give a bit of bite back I could live with.

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Am I missing something here? Mac has been bought in as an advisor to the board, not a coach. 

No you really are not missing anything Rammy. There are a good number on here think this is the second, I mean, the third coming and that he has some responsibility in pitch side coaching, whiteboard planning, picking the team, and pre-match and half-time rallying sppeches. He has, as you say, been employed as an advisor to the board with some technical responsibilities to ensure that new owners are given some guidance, and appropriate strategies are considered and implemented.

11 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Am I missing something here? Mac has been bought in as an advisor to the board, not a coach. 

Whatever you're missing, I'm missing as well. I've seen him put in charge of appointing the manager, signing playing, coaching, tactics, surprised nobody has suggested he's driving the bus tonight as well.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Whatever you're missing, I'm missing as well. I've seen him put in charge of appointing the manager, signing playing, coaching, tactics, surprised nobody has suggested he's driving the bus tonight as well.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al (Mc)Nehayan was Steve McClaren all along - I'm looking forward to the Scooby-Doo style reveal when the takeover's finally announced!

Archived