Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

25 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al (Mc)Nehayan was Steve McClaren all along - I'm looking forward to the Scooby-Doo style reveal when the takeover's finally announced!

I'd love to hear his new Arab voice. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season starts today for me, its pretty obvious Rooney will be thr manager and Mac his baby sitter, so we may as well get behind them.

Put Saturday down to first game jitters, tonight I want to see a positive line up, positive performance and substitutions at the right time.

Very interesting that since Saturday Liam seems to have disappeared, locked in a cupboard and Rooney is doing all the interviews.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Season starts today for me, its pretty obvious Rooney will be thr manager and Mac his baby sitter, so we may as well get behind them.

Put Saturday down to first game jitters, tonight I want to see a positive line up, positive performance and substitutions at the right time.

Very interesting that since Saturday Liam seems to have disappeared, locked in a cupboard and Rooney is doing all the interviews.

The season starts after every game am I not correct? Next the season will start Saturday and then the Saturday after when we already about 8points adrift, not to be a doomer but it's so meaningless saying that. 

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Or maybe Liam was busy in the training? Hardly disappeared at all lol. People read it too much in it tbh. 

I think the Middlesbrough are a poor quality team covered up by their own manager's ability to outcoach the opposition. They struggle to hold the ball, the quality on the ball is amongst the worst in the league. Only Rotherham and Wycombe are worse at finding a player with a pass, they only midtable for long balls so it's not that they're being overly adventurous and they have fewer shots on target than us. 

All in all, the Middlesbrough team is now severely lacking quality, but they make up for it off the ball as one of the top tacking sides and stopping the opposition from scoring. A trait all Warnock teams have, but this does strike me as a team that REALLY lacks quality. 

The problem is that I'm not sure our circus could outcoach Big Bob's Ragley Rovers U14s and that Warnock in that regard will be licking his lips. I guess we will see. 

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

The season starts after every game am I not correct? Next the season will start Saturday and then the Saturday after when we already about 8points adrift, not to be a doomer but it's so meaningless saying that. 

To be honest, I could have easily have written:

"I'm giving Wayne Bloody Rooney tonight and tonight only to prove he has the minerals to get this team firing, if we lose then I want the granny bashing git ground down into a fine powder and sold off for chicken feed"

But then I'd get called negative, cant win really ?

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

To be honest, I could have easily have written:

"I'm giving Wayne Bloody Rooney tonight and tonight only to prove he has the minerals to get this team firing, if we lose then I want the granny bashing git ground down into a fine powder and sold off for chicken feed"

But then I'd get called negative, cant win really ?

It's not Rooneys fault though is let's be honest? Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism but  it can make you look stupid in our situation, also wouldn't slag off Rooney too much for pretty much nothing. Its the collective responsibility of the club, mainly Morris then a combination of playing staff and coaches. We could loose 5 nill tonight and I won't be blaming the coaching staff it's the players for playing badly and also Morris over the years gradually making poo decisions one after the other. 

10 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

It's not Rooneys fault though is let's be honest? Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism but  it can make you look stupid in our situation, also wouldn't slag off Rooney too much for pretty much nothing. Its the collective responsibility of the club, mainly Morris then a combination of playing staff and coaches. We could loose 5 nill tonight and I won't be blaming the coaching staff it's the players for playing badly and also Morris over the years gradually making poo decisions one after the other. 

is that a comment on his contribution this season? ?

What I'd pick:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan 

Bird 

Knight     Sibley 

Waghorn        JHI        Jozwiak 

Think the back 5 picks itself for now and we shouldn't touch it. Personally I think we are struggling with a 4231 because as a system it naturally leads to providing a platform for the "3" to attack from and they've not been performing so I'd look to move to a 433 in order to get more attacking players in midfield.

Sibley and Knight both are goal scorers and in a 3 with license to break into the box I think it will possibly help tackle our current issues. Let Bird sit and dictate play and with those two beside I think he will find it easy to get things going in midfield with Rooney making way as we need more drive in midfield.

Jozwiak needs little explanation as the only attacking player who's looked consistently liked doing something. JHI or Stretton deserve a crack up front with Waghorn moving out onto the right where he can make those angle runs in behind and open up the space for Byrne to overlap.

What I expect we will play:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Rooney   Bird 

Jozwiak    Holmes*   Lawrence 

Waghorn 

Anyone expecting huge changes to the line up hasn't been paying attention. It's likely Jozwiak coming in is the only change and I've got a funny feeling given that Knight was playing on the right with Holmes at #10 that we are sticking with Holmes at #10 for a little while. I could be wrong as I think it's a mistake and if you want to play a #10 it's Sibley first and foremost for me.

I'm not sure how much Boro fans have been watching us, as their comments on their forum seem to be drawing the conclusion of "bottom of the table = absolutely rubbish". A few comments:

- Derby are bottom for a reason are horrendous.
- If we don't score against Derby I quite seriously worry where our next goal will come
- Derby are a shambles right now
- we can afford to sacrifice that defensive solidity... against a very out of sorts Derby side
- We should be beating this Derby side, no two ways about it.
- Derby look a shambles this season
- They must be pretty awful
- We shouldn't need to be overly concerned with them exposing our defence
- We have to be able to beat the worst team in the division
- Got to be putting Derby to the sword
- Derby bottom of the league with one win, and a crap  goal difference, it'll be very disappointing if we can't turn these over
- No better time to [go all out] than against the worst team in the Championship

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not sure how much Boro fans have been watching us, as their comments on their forum seem to be drawing the conclusion of "bottom of the table = absolutely rubbish". A few comments:

- Derby are bottom for a reason are horrendous.
- If we don't score against Derby I quite seriously worry where our next goal will come
- Derby are a shambles right now
- we can afford to sacrifice that defensive solidity... against a very out of sorts Derby side
- We should be beating this Derby side, no two ways about it.
- Derby look a shambles this season
- They must be pretty awful
- We shouldn't need to be overly concerned with them exposing our defence
- We have to be able to beat the worst team in the division
- Got to be putting Derby to the sword
- Derby bottom of the league with one win, and a crap  goal difference, it'll be very disappointing if we can't turn these over
- No better time to [go all out] than against the worst team in the Championship

Is it on FMTTM Boro? 

Archived