Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Three years to the day since we beat them 3-0 away under Rowett.

Christmas around the corner, storming up the league table, beating teams easily and Vydra scoring for fun.

That period was massively underappreciated.

That was a great awayday - all the more so for being totally unexpected! 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A battle of wills. Will Mac shift us to 4-3-3? But we know Rooney has to play. If both happen, then the only option is Rooney at centre forward in the Chris Martin role. 

For me, out go Holmes and Lawrence. More minutes in the U23s for Bielik before he starts, but he makes the bench. We need to be able to cope with a bit of an aerial bombardment. So...

Marshall 

Wisdom    Davis    Clarke    Buchanan 

Bird

Knight          Sibley 

Waghorn        Rooney        Jozwiak 

Bench: Roos, Byrne, Bielik, Holmes, Shinnie, Whittaker, Lawrence, Hector-Ingram, Ibe

No place: te Wierik, McDonald, Forsyth, Evans, Duncan, Stretton, Kazim-Richards 

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

A battle of wills. Will Mac shift us to 4-3-3? But we know Rooney has to play. If both happen, then the only option is Rooney at centre forward in the Chris Martin role. 

For me, out go Holmes and Lawrence. More minutes in the U23s for Bielik before he starts, but he makes the bench. We need to be able to cope with a bit of an aerial bombardment. So...

Marshall 

Wisdom    Davis    Clarke    Buchanan 

Bird

Knight          Sibley 

Waghorn        Rooney        Jozwiak 

Bench: Roos, Byrne, Bielik, Holmes, Shinnie, Whittaker, Lawrence, Hector-Ingram, Ibe

No place: te Wierik, McDonald, Forsyth, Evans, Duncan, Stretton, Kazim-Richards 

Ibe not available (Gastroenteritis). Am I the only one that thinks CKR should be given a little more than 5 minute cameo or at the least, a place on the bench. I realise he is not prolific, but we have only scored one goal from open play all season.

He could at least link up the play better than the youngsters you feel. Yes it's great to blood the kids, but none of them (JHI / Duncan / Stretton) are strong enough for this level yet. CB pocket fillers.

24 minutes ago, dlm77 said:

Ibe not available (Gastroenteritis). Am I the only one that thinks CKR should be given a little more than 5 minute cameo or at the least, a place on the bench. I realise he is not prolific, but we have only scored one goal from open play all season.

He could at least link up the play better than the youngsters you feel. Yes it's great to blood the kids, but none of them (JHI / Duncan / Stretton) are strong enough for this level yet. CB pocket fillers.

maybe he is carp in training?

Would be surprised to see Mac have any input in selection or formation tonight or at any point. Surely that would be interfering with the manager/s and below his new position? (That's not me saying I wouldn't like him to be involved but can't see it otherwise he'd have been given that job)

I fully expect us to line up 4-2-3-1 again but with just the one change from Saturday

Marshall

Byrne              Wisdom          Clarke          Buchanan

Rooney      Bird

Knight                        Lawrence                Jozwiak

Waghorn

Would be happy to see CKR given a start over Waggy and Sibley in for Lawrence but can't see either happening

We have 5 subs, so we should use them. I'd rather start Bielik instead of Rooney, but I imagine we'll start off with this...

Starters

Marshall
Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan
Bird   Rooney
Jozwiak   Knight   Lawrence
Waghorn

Finishers

Marshall
Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan
Bird   Bielik
Whittaker   Sibley   Holmes
Trialist

32 minutes ago, dlm77 said:

CKR looks pretty limited to me. 

I know the lads might find things too physical but they are full of confidence. 

That alone sets them apart from experienced forwards who have done nothing to justify their place. 

Give the lads their chance. That's supposed to be part of the Derby Way. 

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

CKR looks pretty limited to me. 

I know the lads might find things too physical but they are full of confidence. 

That alone sets them apart from experienced forwards who have done nothing to justify their place. 

Give the lads their chance. That's supposed to be part of the Derby Way. 

CKR tells me that as a fanbase we're blinded that the only way we can (and any team) can be successful is with a big man upfront. 

CKR is a player that's probably playing at a L2 or perhaps even non-league standard at this point in his career, but he's someone who can be disruptive because he's strong. 

The top goalscorer in the Championship at the moment is 5'6" Adam Armstrong, who is playing as the centre forward in a 4-3-3 for Blackburn. 

I think we'll play this team tonight like this. 

Marshall

Byrne Biliek Clarke Buchanan

Rooney

Knight   Bird 

Lawrence CKR Jozwiak

Then bring on Sibley Whittaker Hector-Ingram. Come on Derby we can do this tonight let's goooooo. ??????????

6 minutes ago, DerbyNutter said:

I think we'll play this team tonight like this. 

Marshall

Byrne Biliek Clarke Buchanan

Rooney

Knight   Bird 

Lawrence CKR Jozwiak

Then bring on Sibley Whittaker Hector-Ingram. Come on Derby we can do this tonight let's goooooo. ??????????

I’d like to see Sibley played off the right in an attacking three as a natural left footer cutting in and getting beyond the front man, Lawerence seems badly out of sorts to me.

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

CKR tells me that as a fanbase we're blinded that the only way we can (and any team) can be successful is with a big man upfront. 

CKR is a player that's probably playing at a L2 or perhaps even non-league standard at this point in his career, but he's someone who can be disruptive because he's strong. 

The top goalscorer in the Championship at the moment is 5'6" Adam Armstrong, who is playing as the centre forward in a 4-3-3 for Blackburn. 

He is a penalty taker (3 scored)

3 minutes ago, dlm77 said:

He is a penalty taker (3 scored)

Good point, even if you take them away, he's still scored 4 MORE goals (80% more goals) than we have as an entire team. 

Blackburn have scored 25 goals this season already, under many considered a dinosaur in Mowbray, which at our current rate would take 60 games to get to - almost equating to a full season and a half - all by playing with Armstrong as the centre forward of a three man attack! 

I'm just pointing out when we start substituting technical ability in favour of physical attributes then we're going down the wrong path. You can play football in a number of ways, even if the striker can't win headers you aren't forced to play him in that way.  

Archived