Middlesbrough v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Chris_Martin

2 hours ago, Sidd10 said:

To answer your last point first... No. But that doesn't make Waghorn an automatic good option either. His movement is generally poor, or none existent. He's just not a natural goal scorer, more suited out wide imo but he's not the out and out winger everyone desires when there either. 

I agree Waghorn isn't an automatic good option but he's the best we've got at the moment. He's being asked to play a role which isn't his style (hold up striker). Maybe Hector-Ingram can step up? I also think Marriott might have scored last game as well.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I would've treaded this line, but after watching Saturday we had the ball around their area for a lot of the game and he made absolutely no effort to create separation or put himself in a goalscoring opportunity. I think he hid on a lot of the chances, actually, but I could be wrong. No confidence. 

A striker creates opportunities with his movement, either for themselves or for others. Waghorn isn't doing either at the moment. You can blame the players for not getting the ball into feet, but you can also blame the striker for not offering those opportunities to his teammates. The latter seriously feels like more of an issue than the former at the moment. 

You could be right, but Waghorn just doesn't strike me as the kind of character who would hide on the pitch. I think he's one of those players who suffer a bit for there versatility. He's being asked to play a role that isn't his style, he's rarely played in his preferred position in his whole Derby career, which I think is in a 2 up front or a right forward. He made some good runs off the shoulder of the defenders but wasn't passed to. Waghorn's the best option we have up front at the moment. Annoyingly I think Marriott would have done better there against Bristol with Waghorn replacing Knight who was also out of position.  

Just now, DCFClks said:

I don't even think in the short term. I don't think he can even play 45 minutes at the moment. He has less movement than Rooney, can't pass. Complete panic buy. Hector-Ingram maybe. 

Yeah maybe, i would play either of them with waghorn on the right to be honest

Marshall

Wisdom   Davies   Clarke

Byrne   Knight   Rooney   Bird   Buchanan

Jozwiak

Waghorn

Would prefer Shinnie where Bird is and Bird in the middle but think Rooney will play?!

Jozwiak free role in behind Waghorn.

Surprised no one is mentioning Sibley in the number 10 role. Worked a treat in the restart. Bielik to drop into the back 4 if needed and Knight to do the running around him. Stick Waghorn out wide and try either Hector Ingram or Kazim up front.

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Bielik Knight

Waghorn Sibley Jozwiak

Hector-Ingram

Archived