Manager : If it was your choice who would you have ..?

neil62uk

Jody Morris is the right manager.

If you study what's happening at Chelsea, it's possible Jody is not too enamoured.

His credentials over Rooney, Terry and many other names in the hat, speak for themselves.

More than anyone, he can hit the ground running.

Surely he would have everyone's respect, help continue Phil's youth programme, and play the attacking, pressing game which Frank favoured, and by the sounds of it, the players favour when they are sufficiently fit.

If Mr Morris is still in charge of selecting the manager, Mr Morris is the answer.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Half fan said:

If you study what's happening at Chelsea, it's possible Jody is not too enamoured.

His credentials over Rooney, Terry and many other names in the hat, speak for themselves.

Surely he would have everyone's respect, help continue Phil's youth programme, and play the attacking, pressing game which Frank favoured, and by the sounds of it, the players favour when they are sufficiently fit.

If Mr Morris is still in charge of selecting the manager, Mr Morris is the answer.

Morris, Twan, Des Anderson are the chummy Assistant Managers that put an arm around a player when the manager drops them or tears them off a strip.

They're not necessarily able to step into the more distant role of decision maker, team selector.

That's putting it very simplistically. But look at the example of Clement as someone who could not step up from being a number two.

On 14/11/2020 at 23:51, Brummie Steve said:

Boring, played out finished.

We’ll get who we get when we get him and no amount of fruitless speculation is going to affect that decision.

Does anyone seriously believe that any amount of guesswork, crystal ball gazing or an endless stream of meaningless topics on this site is going to have any influence at all with those tasked with making the final decision.

Get Nigel Clough to sign on the dotted line if it’ll put an end to all this!

Sure Steve, but it’s a bit of fun. That’s all. .... The weird thing is that even if we got a Benitez, Wenger or Fergie there is no guarantee of success. .. I reckon managers and players are a dark art and the interreaction is wildly unpredictable... You could line up every duck and think wow .. that’s bound to work ... but it won’t. Why ? Who knows ?

Then you get some random choice that somehow fits and bingo ! .. yes odds can get narrowed a touch, but in the endings que sera sera .. which I suppose is what you were saying.

I think it’s our turn to have a bit of unpredicted magic, but I would say that wouldn’t I ?

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

My wildcard choice would be Ranieri

Not sure if any other names really excite me and I sense it’ll be someone who’s not in the running currently 

That would be fun. He knows the game, gets player mentality .. won’t happen, but I love the guy, he’s the definition of quirky. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Sure Steve, but it’s a bit of fun. That’s all. .... The weird thing is that even if we got a Benitez, Wenger or Fergie there is no guarantee of success. .. I reckon managers and players are a dark art and the interreaction is wildly unpredictable... You could line up every duck and think wow .. that’s bound to work ... but it won’t. Why ? Who knows ?

Then you get some random choice that somehow fits and bingo ! .. yes odds can get narrowed a touch, but in the endings que sera sera .. which I suppose is what you were saying.

I think it’s our turn to have a bit of unpredicted magic, but I would say that wouldn’t I ?

Fun?

I was in Deadly Earnest (lovely village near Nether Wallop) when I suggested B4.

He ticks all the boxes and would soon get all the players motivated.

2 hours ago, TomG said:

Just seen on another forum that, wait for it, Brian McDermott is also now in the frame!  Things are certainly starting to go tits up!

Brian McDermott is not someone who should be simply dismissed. Has some good managerial experience with Reading notably, and Leeds, and has been scouting for the last 3-4 years for Arsenal.  I have seen a lot, lot worse suggestions on the multiple threads that are running.

1 hour ago, Half fan said:

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Morris, Twan, Des Anderson are the chummy Assistant Managers that put an arm around a player when the manager drops them or tears them off a strip.

They're not necessarily able to step into the more distant role of decision maker, team selector.

That's putting it very simplistically. But look at the example of Clement as someone who could not step up from being a number two.

Maybe as First Team Coach with Ralf Rangnick as Director of Football.

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Brian McDermott is not someone who should be simply dismissed. Has some good managerial experience with Reading notably, and Leeds, and has been scouting for the last 3-4 years for Arsenal.  I have seen a lot, lot worse suggestions on the multiple threads that are running.

If we're going down the English manager that's got Championship experience and would do a job route (a relatively  uninspiring route at that), I'd much prefer Nigel Adkins over McDermott.

1 hour ago, Half fan said:

I was just finishing off Pride and was thinking the same myself. 

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If we're going down the English manager that's got Championship experience and would do a job route (a relatively  uninspiring route at that), I'd much prefer Nigel Adkins over McDermott.

We are in agreement on something my young friend. Wouldn’t be disappointed with either Cooper or Adkins. Still think Rooney will get the gig though.

3 hours ago, Half fan said:

Eh what?

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

There's a little difference with Jody Morris, just look at his record (as a Manager) with the youth teams at Chelsea and what they won.

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

There's a little difference with Jody Morris, just look at his record (as a Manager) with the youth teams at Chelsea and what they won.

Colin Murphy was a youth team manager. Just saying. It doesn't always translate.

I really like Jody Morris but I couldn't see him leaving Lampard's side.

4 hours ago, Half fan said:

Phil’s youth program. Complete lack of respect to Wassall 

13 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Colin Murphy was a youth team manager. Just saying. It doesn't always translate.

I really like Jody Morris but I couldn't see him leaving Lampard's side.

Bob Paisley was an assistant manager and stepped up. Followed by Joe Fagan and Roy Evans. Well they all came from the same club and stepped in the manager's seat. Yes and they all won trophies, but they all sang from the same Hymn sheet.

I’d like Jokanovic or Benitez if the faint rumours have any semblance of truth behind them (which of course they probably don’t)

Being bottom of the table and not able to spend big due to FFP restrictions I’d go for Rooney if he had Mclaren and Steele as his assistants. Shteves always been a better coach than a manager. 
I’m not wanting Rooney to be the manager but if he had an experienced number 2 like Shteve then I’d be excited by that.

Also being bottom of the league we’re not looking for someone to bring in new philosophy’s/style etc this season. We need someone to galvanize and motivate the team we have. Put a rocket up them.

The needless yellow and red cards picked up under Cocu (see Bielik, Lawrence and Waghorn etc) were a sign of a team under pressure and unsure of itself. We need someone to give the players freedom and confidence and joy in their playing. 

Archived