Manager : If it was your choice who would you have ..?

neil62uk

If it was your choice to decide whom the next manager of Derby County is to be whom would you have and why ..? 

Yet again opinions will differ  , and no doubt we,ll get the daft answers , the ridiculous answers , the excellent answers , or no answers at all ?

I'd have Sean Dyche  . He as worked on a shoe string budget especially this season , he's achieve promotion out of our league ,  finished in europa league after a 7 placed finish in premiership  ,  plus he may soon be out of a job 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, neil62uk said:

I'd have Sean Dyche  . He as worked on a shoe string budget especially this season , he's achieve promotion out of our league ,  finished in europa league after a 7 placed finish in premiership  ,  plus he may soon be out of a job

I can see why people would respect the job he's done, but I don't think he's the right fit for Derby. With the players we have currently, it'd take 6 transfer windows for us to change the squad for it to be one that Sean Dyche would be happy with. It's a complete revamp in playing style, and I don't personally believe that's what we need.

Boring, played out finished.

We’ll get who we get when we get him and no amount of fruitless speculation is going to affect that decision.

Does anyone seriously believe that any amount of guesswork, crystal ball gazing or an endless stream of meaningless topics on this site is going to have any influence at all with those tasked with making the final decision.

Get Nigel Clough to sign on the dotted line if it’ll put an end to all this!

There’s very few obvious options out there for me. Eddie Howe and Paul Cook are probably the stand out realistic options, but they’re both very meh. If we’re looking at those with previous championship promotion experience, Jokanovic remains the stand out for me. Not many managers have multiple promotions on their CV, and he plays good football. He’s about as safe a bet as you’ll find in this division.

I’ve said before that I personally don’t get the Paul Cook obsession round here.

Is he really what we need? Is he properly proven and good enough?

Interestingly, that’s who many of the Bristol Rovers fans want for their new manager, and he’s 12-1 for them.

Question is, without having a sense of entitlement, should we be fishing in the same pond at Rovers for the new boss?

I'm all over the place tbf..

Jokanovic has had two successful stints, stands by his principles. A more likeable version of Pearson who plays better football...probably my first choice. 

Howe has done nothing wrong really...but I just can't take to him. Would get behind him but I have no enthusiasm for it initially. 

Rafa is totally unrealistic but on paper is far and away the strongest candidate. 

Steve Mac3 would make me smile as a short term appointment til the end of the season. 

John Terry is a big gamble. Could be great could be a disaster. He has presence and contacts, definitely a leader. Would accept him and see how it goes. Similar is Steven Gerrard, who is less likely but more experienced. 

Paul Cook another big gamble. Done well on limited resources. No way of knowing if he would be a Potter type who makes the leap up or another of those who flop massively out of the comfort of League 1-2.

Rooney... No no no. Too linked to the current ills. Go and earn it elsewhere. 

Sure we will be linked to all manner of other people... Ultimately I will give pretty much anyone a chance...except Pardew. Alex Neill, Lee Johnson .. 

Very much depends on the budget.

Paul Cook sounds interesting, rejuvenated Wigan last season. Had success with lower league clubs. As good a gamble as many but not as high profile.

I'd still give Rooney a chance, would want attacking, winning football! High profile and might attract interesting loan players too.

Mac3 absolutely a great coach would get the squad training better! But with a decent side-kick, unlikely to be Simmo, so g'wan Wayne.

9 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Jody Morris- feel he was more to do with our success than Lampard, big success with Chelsea’s youths.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere or saw on his insta that he's in his dream job is as a number 2 for Frank at Chelsea. He doesn't care much for managing personalities and he's meant to be quite abrasive to some players and can be hard to get on with. Frank is the balance to that and that's why it works so well.

9 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Boring, played out finished.

We’ll get who we get when we get him and no amount of fruitless speculation is going to affect that decision.

Does anyone seriously believe that any amount of guesswork, crystal ball gazing or an endless stream of meaningless topics on this site is going to have any influence at all with those tasked with making the final decision.

Get Nigel Clough to sign on the dotted line if it’ll put an end to all this!

Yes please lol 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Very much depends on the budget.

Paul Cook sounds interesting, rejuvenated Wigan last season. Had success with lower league clubs. As good a gamble as many but not as high profile.

I'd still give Rooney a chance, would want attacking, winning football! High profile and might attract interesting loan players too.

Mac3 absolutely a great coach would get the squad training better! But with a decent side-kick, unlikely to be Simmo, so g'wan Wayne.

I think the last thing we want is Rooney 

the guy doesn’t inspire in interviews, he sounds pretty boring quite honestly and anything but motivational ... throwing down his medals and caps isn’t going to motivate players in the heat of battle 

he’s also made some very strange life decisions which makes me question if he’s not just a hugely gifted thicko quite honestly 

Given the precarious position were in right now I think the last thing we need is a newbie learning on the job, cutting their teeth in management I honestly can’t see anything but a disaster if Rooney were to get it 

I keep thinking back to the time we took the bald eagle on 

contacts and an experienced hand is what’s needed right now 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Mac3

Duck no

Mac had one plan ... if it didn’t work that was it 

he doesn’t have a focal point at the club as it stands so that’s plan a and his entire game plan out of the window ... we’d be cut even further adrift than we are now come January 

Jokanovic if we are looking for a high profile figure or Cook if we want a low profile one. Both play decent football but I imagine the new owners will want a ‘big name’ regardless. 
Whatever happens I just do not want Rooney or that racist banker Terry getting the job - neither have earned the right to manage a club like ours. 

Archived