Manager : If it was your choice who would you have ..?

neil62uk

1 hour ago, David said:

Is there any examples of where a manager has been sacked by a club twice previously then been successful the third time of asking?

New owner on the horizon, is it not time to look forward not back? I’m sure we haven’t reached the point where the only man in football for the job is Steve McClaren.

Forsyth, Wisdom are the only 2 that remain from his stints at the club, it’s not like he can just waltz through the door with a cheery “Hi lads, I’m back, get yourselves into the 4-3-3 formation I’m just off to put my coat down”.

“Where’s Chrissy?”

E4B94595-9ABD-4360-BE2B-63893C757F28.jpeg

To be honest I doubt there are next to 0 examples of a manager coming back 3 times. 

I agree mostly that we should be looking in a new direction but we are also in a somewhat precarious but not unsalvageable position.

I don't think there only being those two left is a problem in the slightest. We've got the players to play a passing 433 and the squad has been built with that in mind to an extent. 

Like I said before it would be silly to go back to him but he does kinda fit the mould of what we want in the short term.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

To be honest I doubt there are next to 0 examples of a manager coming back 3 times. 

I agree mostly that we should be looking in a new direction but we are also in a somewhat precarious but not unsalvageable position.

I don't think there only being those two left is a problem in the slightest. We've got the players to play a passing 433 and the squad has been built with that in mind to an extent. 

Like I said before it would be silly to go back to him but he does kinda fit the mould of what we want in the short term.

Quite like this 3-4-3 formation that’s the new fad, hopefully whoever does come in will continue with this but up the tempo and take Marshall out of our possession based game.

3-4-3 can be an incredibly exciting formation and more flexible with and without the ball than 4-3-3

1 hour ago, David said:

Is there any examples of where a manager has been sacked by a club twice previously then been successful the third time of asking?

New owner on the horizon, is it not time to look forward not back? I’m sure we haven’t reached the point where the only man in football for the job is Steve McClaren.

Forsyth, Wisdom are the only 2 that remain from his stints at the club, it’s not like he can just waltz through the door with a cheery “Hi lads, I’m back, get yourselves into the 4-3-3 formation I’m just off to put my coat down”.

“Where’s Chrissy?”

E4B94595-9ABD-4360-BE2B-63893C757F28.jpeg

Did you get that pic from your back catalogue of avatars?

mac1 did a great job taking us to Wembley with Nigel’s team. After Wembley we made mistakes. The players deserved a nice gentle break in the sun. Instead we had a boot camp in the rain in Austria and George was seriously injured. We lost direction in terms of recruitment and Newcastle messed us about regarding schteve. In the end we finished so poorly that schteve committed to stay. We should have held him to that, but instead invoked unnecessary change.

Clement was an unknown with an interesting pedigree but from outside it looked as if he and Mel fell out early on. Chris Evans was signing more players than was good for us. The Wembley team was losing identity and there seemed to be cliques in the camp. Although his record wasn’t bad there seems to be little appetite for this particular PC to ever return.

Pearson was a terrible appointment. He had become a joke in the media, with his aggressive combative style. Worst still his strategy was to slash and burn and sign even more players including expensive crap like ikechi Anya.

Mac2 inherited a mess. He came back chastened and weakened with a few former players - and possibly a chairman - still holding grudges. Meanwhile rowett was in contact with Mel, eyeing the job for himself. It appears as if he eventually forced mel’s hand by threatening to go to Norwich. 

Rowett talks a good game and clearly rates himself. But there were some truly awful games under him. Not just the defeat at Burton or at home to Sunderland, but the sheer tedium of some of the rest. His decision to bin bryson and sell Will hughes lost me. I think we should have built a young team around Will, but instead we assembled a horrible team of veterans and whippets. Vydra was great, but apart from that there was little to admire.

frank came from nowhere and yet took to management like a duck to water. He restored the style and the feel good factor. Not everything went right, but there were sone great games. Notably West Brom away, Norwich away, and the immortal Leeds semi-final. Frank failed to seize the moment and let the same players loose on Villa. I think we would have won if he’d done that. Villa were strangely tentative and nervous. But it didn’t unfold as we’d hoped and that was Mel’s best chance gone.

With the seriously delayed loss of frank and the three loanees there was a lot to do in very little time. Again cocu was another unknown. In hindsight we hadn’t really done our homework but we had to gamble and most were happy. We had a silly pre-season marooned in America miles away from the transfer activity. Yet we broke our transfer record and agreed a deal for Rooney. It didn’t seem like cocu was in control and yet he seemed happy to go along with it all. That was an early warning. The behaviour of the players left much to be desired and created another shitstorm. Then there was the farce of ffp. It ends with us bottom of the table and with the players apparently keen to see the back of the three Dutchmen. 

whoever comes in now has to grasp the nettle and have a clear plan. The hunger for exciting attacking football is still there, but the priority is get up the table. We face more uncertainty now than we have faced for a decade. 

the fact that many seem to think Wayne Rooney is the answer leaves me slightly depressed. I’m sick of the circus. 

31 minutes ago, RamNut said:

the fact that many seem to think Wayne Rooney is the answer leaves me slightly depressed. I’m sick of the circus. 

The fact that Rooney is massively successful in the football profession is what brings in the circus. I'm sure we can find someone no-one gives a damn about. 

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The fact that Rooney is massively successful in the football profession is what brings in the circus. I'm sure we can find someone no-one gives a damn about. 

Let’s just find someone who:

a) is dedicated to dcfc 

b) is not a deadweight in the team

c) has secured the job due to their ability as a manager, not as a player.

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

a) is dedicated to dcfc 

(Arthur Cox & Roy McFarland) 2 ? 

I checked they're 80 and 72 respectively. If Roy Hodgson can do it.... 

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

a) is dedicated to dcfc 

a) Most people are when they chose a job

b) Not so.

c) That rules out a large quantity, if not most, managers that would come here!

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

My wildcard choice would be Ranieri

Not sure if any other names really excite me and I sense it’ll be someone who’s not in the running currently 

Just seen on another forum that, wait for it, Brian McDermott is also now in the frame!  Things are certainly starting to go tits up!

48 minutes ago, TomG said:

Just seen on another forum that, wait for it, Brian McDermott is also now in the frame!  Things are certainly starting to go tits up!

And Ranieri is at Sampdoria, should have checked that!

Feasible options appear slim on the ground unfortunately 

I’m struggling with the call for Rowett’s return. Just the fact he ducked off to Stoke months after giving us the “This is my dream job” tripe should be enough to rule him out of ever returning here, never mind how he set us up in the semi finals against Fulham.

He’d get a “You don’t get two bites of this cherry mate, duck off” from me.

Archived